Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Super Bowl Moments of Silence

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-08-06, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I missed something (there were lots of people partying and I had a few cocktails in me) but did they do a moment of silence for King and Rosa Parks, and then one for the Hurrican victems, and not do one for our troops fighting over seas?

At first I remember thinking seriously King and Rosa Parks are getting a moment of silence? Maybe they were from Detroit or something I don't know...didn't seem appropriate to me. Then hurricane victems and I thought...okay they are going to do it for a few things, but next thing I know they are singing the national anthem. Did I miss something for our troops, was there anything?

If this should be in politics feel free to move, I wasn't sure. I did a search and didn't see anything. Either way I can't believe that our troops wouldn't be first and foremost before anything, if it wasn't for them King and Parks wouldn't have had the freedom to do anything...

It just seems like a sad commentary on the way things are today (if I didn't miss something and they did do a tribute)...
Old 02-08-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A better commentary on the way things are today is the drunk guy that could be clearly heard screeching during the moment of silence.

What commentary does that imply? That some things never change.
Old 02-08-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tublecane
Maybe I missed something (there were lots of people partying and I had a few cocktails in me) but did they do a moment of silence for King and Rosa Parks, and then one for the Hurrican victems, and not do one for our troops fighting over seas?

At first I remember thinking seriously King and Rosa Parks are getting a moment of silence? Maybe they were from Detroit or something I don't know...didn't seem appropriate to me. Then hurricane victems and I thought...okay they are going to do it for a few things, but next thing I know they are singing the national anthem. Did I miss something for our troops, was there anything?
You were sober enough for your recollection to be correct.

Rosa Parks resided in Detroit, and was buried here too. Not clear if that makes a difference. I'm sure the deciding factor was their view of political correctness, whether or not it's our view too.

Oh, and the arrangement of the anthem sucked. I wish they would stick to "sing per score" arrangements.
Old 02-08-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Either way I can't believe that our troops wouldn't be first and foremost before anything, if it wasn't for them King and Parks wouldn't have had the freedom to do anything...
I tried to make a mental list of everything that's wrong with that sentence and made it as far as "fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of time" before my brain exploded.
Old 02-08-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I propose a moment of silence for dork's brain.
Old 02-08-06, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by dork
I tried to make a mental list of everything that's wrong with that sentence and made it as far as "fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of time" before my brain exploded.

Yes I'm at work and between testing things, I just had the thought and wanted to quickly post. Sorry I didn't have time to carefully write out my sentence, although I think anyone that can read should be able to get the gist of what I am saying...
Old 02-08-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dork
I thought the military was the foremost champion of civil rights in the '60s?
Old 02-08-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes I'm at work and between testing things, I just had the thought and wanted to quickly post. Sorry I didn't have time to carefully write out my sentence, although I think anyone that can read should be able to get the gist of what I am saying...
I wasn't necessarily taking issue with your grammar.
Old 02-08-06, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Yeah...b/c people in the 60's would have had unbelievable civil rights had they of been under Nazi occupation....
Old 02-08-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it wasn't too fair but again the whole Super Bowl was pretty crappy. The WORST national anthem in a Super Bowl EVER. It was pretty much a joke. I kinda felt bad for the players because that's such a huge thing hearing that in the Super Bowl and it was a joke.

And I thought Rosa Parks was from Alabama?
Old 02-08-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought this thread was going to be about them cutting Mick's mic when he said "cock."
Old 02-08-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
And I thought Rosa Parks was from Alabama?
She was originally, but she moved to Detroit a long time ago. She periodically got a mention in the local news for many, many years.
Old 02-08-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup. That Nat'l Anthem was lame.
Old 02-08-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
More like in the 40s and 50s. But calling the military one of the "foremost champions of civil rights" would be inaccurate -- they were certainly one of the first institutions to move toward racial equality, but that's about as far as it went.
Old 02-08-06, 02:01 PM

Intergration in the military was out of necessity and circumstance rather than some sort of nobel calling. During WW2, shortage of troops forced some situations where blacks and whites ended up serving together. Since this didn't prove to be problematic (as had been feared), the military eventually got rid of the segregation (which was a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare to begin with).
Old 02-08-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo
More like in the 40s and 50s. But calling the military one of the "foremost champions of civil rights" would be inaccurate -- they were certainly one of the first institutions to move toward racial equality, but that's about as far as it went.
That was sarcasm.
Old 02-08-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Intergration in the military was out of necessity and circumstance rather than some sort of nobel calling.
Yes, because Alfred Nobel never called the military about this issue. In fact, I don't think that he ever owned a phone.
Old 02-08-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I thought this thread was going to be about them cutting Mick's mic when he said "cock."
Me too.
Old 02-08-06, 03:40 PM

I guess I won't be receiving the Noble Prize for Internet Spelling anytime soon.