Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How full is your ipod and when do we get 100gb?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-07-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 6 gb left on a 60 gb photo ipod. Yes even though it is a 60 gb, it only shows space for roughly 55. Anyway, a lot of books on tape, lecture series and Old Time Radio eats up the space rather quickly. Anyone else have this problem? I know I could just put the "best 60gb" on and be more than fine, but for some reason I love knowing that all my stuff is on there.

You?
Old 02-07-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My Itunes has about 18gb. I'm currently trying to get out of debt before I buy a video Ipod. Still debating on a 30 or 60 gig. I have pretty much all my music on there but no audio books or anything like that.
Old 02-07-06, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My 1 gig Cowon flash player is all fulled up. :-) I'm seriously trying to wait before I buy a large capacity player as I really would like to do all 1200 (+/-) of my albums at 192kbps mimimum. I'm thinking around 120 gigs will get me close to this. Hopefully, technology will comply.
Old 02-07-06, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got about 99gb of music on the computer. I've only got about 60mb of space left on my 60gb ipod. I would guess that about 10 gigs of that is filler and songs I don't like at all. One of these days, I'll just cut the fat. However, I've had to think up some creative playlists to keep the ipod updated.

Good times.
Old 02-07-06, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got about 8gb left on my 30 gb video. I think I'll be fine for a while.
Old 02-07-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I have about 6 gb left on a 60 gb photo ipod. Yes even though it is a 60 gb, it only shows space for roughly 55. Anyway, a lot of books on tape, lecture series and Old Time Radio eats up the space rather quickly. Anyone else have this problem? I know I could just put the "best 60gb" on and be more than fine, but for some reason I love knowing that all my stuff is on there.

You?
How often do you listen to those books on tape? Clean some house man.
Old 02-07-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
How often do you listen to those books on tape? Clean some house man.
Also, couldn't they handle a pretty big drop in bit rate since they are just spoken word? They would be able to much smaller without losing too much quality.

I don't really know, as I read books and listen to music.
Old 02-07-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I have about 30 gigs on the computer, but realistically, are you going to listen to ALLLLL your music in the car or on the run? I mean, I bet I only listen to about 10 gigs of music. I have every Aerosmith song, but I realistically only listen to the greatest hits + a couple of rarities I really love.
Old 02-07-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
I have 72.7gb worth of MP3s. Still waiting for a portable player that fits my needs.
ditto. why they went "video" instead of "80 gb" i'll never understand.
Old 02-07-06, 12:33 PM

I have about 5GB left on my 60GB Ipod. I have absolutely no need for its video or photo capabilities. I uploaded a video once just to try it out, but I can't imagine ever watching something on it, even while on an airplane or train. I don't even use the coverart option that they advertise, as it just wastes space.
Old 02-07-06, 12:36 PM

My Ipod has roughly 800 songs, which only used up 2.86 GB. It's funny cuz I worried about the 20 GB not being enough.
Old 02-07-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Ghostface180
I have absolutely no need for its video or photo capabilities. I uploaded a video once just to try it out, but I can't imagine ever watching something on it, even while on an airplane or train.
I don't get that either. Sure, the bigger screen is kewl (well, bigger than the "photo" iPod), but unless the screen was 7" or so, it makes no sense to me. But what the fuck do I know? I still prefer PHYSICAL media.

Anyways...I currently have a 60g pod that has 14,080 songs and about 100m free. I started out by filling it up with whole discographies, but once the space started running out, I had to be more selective. Well, with everyone except Prince.
Old 02-07-06, 01:10 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm

7495 Songs, 10.5GB free on my 60GB.
I must be encoding at a higher rate than Rogue588
Old 02-07-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have around 27gb free on my 60gb video. The only videos I have on it are, The Office, and U2's best of 1990-2000 videos. But I have a huge stack of CD's waiting to get ripped. I held off on ripping more since I was close to full on my old 30gb one.
Old 02-07-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
hmm

7495 Songs, 10.5GB free on my 60GB.
I must be encoding at a higher rate than Rogue588
128 AAC, baby. It sounds fine to my slightly discriminating ear. 'sides, if I want true HI audio fidelity, i'll just pop the damn CD in.
Old 02-07-06, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I don't get that either. Sure, the bigger screen is kewl (well, bigger than the "photo" iPod), but unless the screen was 7" or so, it makes no sense to me. But what the fuck do I know? I still prefer PHYSICAL media.
I agree. I prefer the actual CD, which is why I originally did not want an Ipod. I have a huge CD collection, and didn't even think it would fit on an Ipod along with my mp3s. On the other hand, it has saved me space in my apartment at school since I left the majority of my CDs at home after winter break.

As for the video aspect, I guess it's cool to be able to download the latest episode of Lost, or the first season of Alfred Hitchcock Presents (especially considering the problems with the DVDs), but you can only really watch them on your small Ipod screen. I haven't bought any videos from the Itunes store; are they burnable to CD or DVD? Can you even hook up your Ipod to a TV to watch these shows?
Old 02-07-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still haven't bought a portable Mp3 player (outside of my car CD player). 60gb would be the absolute minimum I would want and prices haven't dropped enough to get me to stop making a cheap mix disc here and there for my auto.
Old 02-07-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Still waiting for a 200GB version. As soon as I buy a CD, I rip it to 256kbps CBR in LAME with proper ath / -q 0 settings.
Old 02-07-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Also, couldn't they handle a pretty big drop in bit rate since they are just spoken word? They would be able to much smaller without losing too much quality.

I don't really know, as I read books and listen to music.
I use audible.com and have tried smaller bitrates, but some of them sound like you are listening to AM radio. Yeah, I could clean house, but for some reason I like to have everything I have on one ipod.
Old 02-07-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I have a 20 gig and 1 gig iRiver, both full, but I listen to about 10% of the 20...I could use a smaller player because Im at the computer every day anyway...Im probably gonna pick up the 1gig Samsung or Pio that recieves XM and save the 20 for long trips away from the computer.
Old 02-07-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I like about having as much as possible on my ipod:

If I'm in the mood for something, I don't have to hope the cd is in my car/apt/backpack. I already know I have it there. I can grab something the size of a deck of cards, and have whatever I need for the mood that strikes.

As someone else said, I'll use the cd for fidelity. Ipods are for convenience.
Old 02-08-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
ditto. why they went "video" instead of "80 gb" i'll never understand.

To sell TV shows with iTunes.
Old 02-08-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my first iPod last September, 30 GB, and it's still less than half-full which really surprised me, about 3,000 songs and 12-13 GB. I've got a lot more I could put on there but haven't found the time to do more than a few CDs here and there lately. The 30GB capacity is pretty great far as I'm concerned for my needs.
Old 02-08-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I've got about 20 gigs on the computer and a 4 gig Nano and I can barely keep the thing half-full. I used to have a 10 gig that was pretty full, but I was skipping songs constantly (it's rare that I want to listen to EVERY song by a particular artist. Once I started picking and choosing, I couldn't come close to filling it up and that's held over to the Nano.

I might get a video iPod for the video though, it would be great to have some of this stuff available on the go.
Old 02-08-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm currently using 20.97 gigs (5,394 songs) on my 60 gig iPod (although 1.7 gigs are audio/video podcasts that are there temporarily). I'm not one to keep digital copies of all of my CDs on my computer, so I rip just the songs that I'll listen to. Space is getting limited on my laptop, though. I'm considering getting an external hard drive just to keep my music on - I'll be damned if I'm going to rip all of this stuff again should I lose my iPod or upgrade to another player later.

I have noticed that I rarely listen to CDs in my car anymore. It's just so much more convenient to plug my iPod into the cassette player.

Video is just a nice extra for me. I actually bought the "Christmas Party" episode of "The Office". And some of the video podcasts are cool (like "Tiki Bar TV"...with Lala )

Originally Posted by Rogue588
128 AAC, baby. It sounds fine to my slightly discriminating ear. 'sides, if I want true HI audio fidelity, i'll just pop the damn CD in.
My sentiments exactly. I'll gladly trade audiophile quality for increased storage space (especially given the amount of CDs I own).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.