Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Home improvement: Cabinets and countertops

Old 02-06-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Home improvement: Cabinets and countertops

SO, I need to get more storage space in my kitchen, and I could use some more countertop space. I have an area that is maybe 6-7 feet long that would be perfect for this. Anyone have any ideas?

Just wondering whether I should be looking for a piece of furniture, some premade cabinets, what? Should I just build some ghetto shelving? How much would these options cost? Where should I go? Furniture store? Kitchen store? Home Depot?

I'm not particularly handy with tools, though my roommate is, so I could get him to do something for me if it was pretty quick/easy.
Old 02-06-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on what you want to spend. Probably your cheapest option would be to buy a large utility cabinet -- my Grandma had a big metal one in her kitchen in the 1960s; the ones you find today are generally wood or particleboard. If you use this cabinet as your main pantry, it would free up your existing cabinet space. It wouldn't give you any more counter space, though.

You could also buy something like a Welsh dresser -- a kind of sideboard that has limited workspace with shelves above and cabinet space below.

Or, you could have floor-to-ceiling shelving units built, with or without doors in front. This would be my choice, because you could customize the space and one of the shelves could be deeper, providing a work surface.
Old 02-06-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

We just completely did our kitchen. Gutted it down to studs, in fact. The easiest way to go is to take your floorplan to a place like Home Depot and let them give you some ideas. Having used them to do my kitchen, I would recommend them to do yours, but they are good at getting ideas.

How much are you looking to spend?
Old 02-06-06, 01:24 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

1 million dollars
Old 02-06-06, 01:28 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I recently remodeled my kitchen (everything) and Home Depot was a royal pain in the ass. I wanted to spend around 10k but I guess they hate those 'small jobs'.

Basically the girls who did the 'designing' were pretty inept. Lots of errors and things they had no idea about (plumbing considerations etc..) Then when it came time to get a contractor, the guy was several thousand above estimate. Thats above the Home Depot estimate before the guy came over, and yes I still had to pay him for his time.

I only used Home Depot for the cabinets and some floor tile and found my own contractor to install everything. Theres people to rip you off at every turn if you're not careful. I learned LOTS about granite countertops--evidently the stone industry is unregulated and very very shady. Theres some good websites out there to help in that area if you're interested.
Old 02-06-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not spending more than a few hundred. If I find a great piece of furniture perhaps a bit more, but less than a grand. I can't afford to do my whole kitchen, and I don't much care if the new stuff doesn't match the existing stuff. It's not adjacent, it's a few feet away in a slightly different area, and in any case the house is kinda ghetto anyway.
Old 02-06-06, 01:35 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

no company will want to help you for so little unfortunately. Best bet is to go to a container store or target and get some free standing cupboards or something.
Old 02-06-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't really looking for a company to do it, was looking for something to buy. What is a container store?
Old 02-06-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I recently remodeled my kitchen (everything) and Home Depot was a royal pain in the ass. I wanted to spend around 10k but I guess they hate those 'small jobs'.

Basically the girls who did the 'designing' were pretty inept. Lots of errors and things they had no idea about (plumbing considerations etc..) Then when it came time to get a contractor, the guy was several thousand above estimate. Thats above the Home Depot estimate before the guy came over, and yes I still had to pay him for his time.

I only used Home Depot for the cabinets and some floor tile and found my own contractor to install everything. Theres people to rip you off at every turn if you're not careful. I learned LOTS about granite countertops--evidently the stone industry is unregulated and very very shady. Theres some good websites out there to help in that area if you're interested.
Actually we gutted our kitchen and did a re-design through Home Depot and are quite pleased. I found that it was not HD trying to rip you off, but the contractor. For example, they wanted $1,800 for "debris removal". I told HD to just have them put the old cabinets/flooring in my back yard. I ordered my own dumpster for $100 and took me about 1/2 day to break everything down to fit in the dumpster and I reused the upper cabinets in my garage. The contractor also wanted $2,000 for under cabinet lighting even tho the kitchen was already wired. I had them knock that off and did myself (light cost about $100 and took me about 1 day and I added a dimmer).

Their prices for the cabinets and install was actually pretty good, even broken down by time/materials.

I agree you do need to be active in the process, and check things out yourself, but I easily saved 50% over going to interior designer. Now no doubt an interior designer would have done better, but for me would not have done 50% better.
Old 02-06-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ask this guy:

Old 02-06-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
SO, I need to get more storage space in my kitchen, and I could use some more countertop space. I have an area that is maybe 6-7 feet long that would be perfect for this. Anyone have any ideas?
We just finished redoing our kitchen this weekend. We used all premade-off-the-shelf cabinets and countertops from Lowes. Everything was unfinished oak so we had to do some sanding and staining prior to install. We did all the gutting and installing ourselves and saved a bundle, of course I'm tired as hell so there is a price to pay for DIY.

I installed a 6 foot countertop similar to the area you describe. It consists of two 36" base cabinets(two doors, two drawers each). And three two door wall cabinets. You can't imagine the extra storage space that gave us. I was able to install it by myself in a couple of hours.
Old 02-06-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by covenant
We just finished redoing our kitchen this weekend. We used all premade-off-the-shelf cabinets and countertops from Lowes. Everything was unfinished oak so we had to do some sanding and staining prior to install. We did all the gutting and installing ourselves and saved a bundle, of course I'm tired as hell so there is a price to pay for DIY.

I installed a 6 foot countertop similar to the area you describe. It consists of two 36" base cabinets(two doors, two drawers each). And three two door wall cabinets. You can't imagine the extra storage space that gave us. I was able to install it by myself in a couple of hours.
Yay! Finally info I can use!

How much would you estimate that cost for the 6 foot area? I have a Lowes nearby...
Old 02-06-06, 01:57 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Actually we gutted our kitchen and did a re-design through Home Depot and are quite pleased. I found that it was not HD trying to rip you off, but the contractor. For example, they wanted $1,800 for "debris removal". I told HD to just have them put the old cabinets/flooring in my back yard. I ordered my own dumpster for $100 and took me about 1/2 day to break everything down to fit in the dumpster and I reused the upper cabinets in my garage. The contractor also wanted $2,000 for under cabinet lighting even tho the kitchen was already wired. I had them knock that off and did myself (light cost about $100 and took me about 1 day and I added a dimmer).

Their prices for the cabinets and install was actually pretty good, even broken down by time/materials.

I agree you do need to be active in the process, and check things out yourself, but I easily saved 50% over going to interior designer. Now no doubt an interior designer would have done better, but for me would not have done 50% better.
There were lots of variables that HD left out of my estimate. Plumbing and circuits etc. I was amazed at how much hidden cost there was. Doing everything piecemeal was the headache but only cost effective way to get it done.
Old 02-06-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

did my kitchen last year

we bought Kraftmaid cabinets from a small local store because they were cheaper than HD.
Old 02-06-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I am not spending more than a few hundred. If I find a great piece of furniture perhaps a bit more, but less than a grand. I can't afford to do my whole kitchen, and I don't much care if the new stuff doesn't match the existing stuff. It's not adjacent, it's a few feet away in a slightly different area, and in any case the house is kinda ghetto anyway.
Furniture is definitely the way to go. $1000 gets you nothing as far as a kitchen remodel.
Old 02-06-06, 04:23 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Like I've said before but they have none in Colorado, my advice is an ikea kitchen, or ikea kitchen cabs.

something like this

bagger knows my thoughts. me and the mrs should be installing an ikea kitchen this summer.
Old 02-06-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
There were lots of variables that HD left out of my estimate. Plumbing and circuits etc. I was amazed at how much hidden cost there was. Doing everything piecemeal was the headache but only cost effective way to get it done.
There were a few small things that HD left off. However, on every single item they left off (there were like 3 items), they did for free. For example, even tho I did not move the sink location since the kitchen was older there were no "shut off valves" as now required by code. When the plumber came out to install my sink/garbage disposal (that they were already hooking up for free due to a promotion of free install of one appliance), the plumber said it would be another $125 to install the shut off valves. I immediately called HD who said it was their fault, got on the phone with the plumber and had it done for no charge to me.

I probably got close to a $1,000 worth of stuff free either through promotion or them doing for free as it was discovered after I signed the contract. They did a full and complete walk through with me with every item on the estimate prior to me signing and paying and prior to them starting. So I pretty much stuck them to the contract. In fact prior to signing the contract, I had them change many items like instead of saying "re-install existing dishwasher", I wrote in "re-install existing dishwasher to full working condition".

Again, HD was very, very good. It was the contractor who had problems especially the electrical.
Old 02-06-06, 07:14 PM

Check out target.com for a "kitchen cart" if you are looking for something inexpensive. They have granite , stainless steel or butcher block tops and come in different wood finishes. There are cabinets under it and it is on wheels, sort of like a kitchen island. Best of all, you can take it with you should you decide to move. Should provide the storage space you need and the extra counter space at under $400.
Old 02-06-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yay! Finally info I can use!

How much would you estimate that cost for the 6 foot area? I have a Lowes nearby...
Let's see....

The two 36" base cabinets were $122 each and the 6' countertop was $50. So you could get that done for right around $300. Don't forget the trim kit to finished the counter ends. Of course handles are extra. That's for unfinished oak mind you. They have finished cabinets but they cost a little extra.

If you want wall cabinets above the counter, we spent $168 for three.

All the cabinets are from Continental Cabinets: http://www.ccabinc.com/ The unfinished oak on their website looks exactly how ours turned out after a clear poly coat. Our house is kinda rustic so it fit nicely.

*edited for typo*

Last edited by covenant; 02-07-06 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-06-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buford: now that is a KICKASS space-age kitchen, perfect to serve meals-in-a-pill!

Last edited by Pressplay; 02-07-06 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-06-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pressplay
Bufford: now that is a KICKASS space-age kitchen, perfect to serve meals-in-a-pill!

Thanks.

But it's only one f and that's all I'm gonna say.
Old 02-07-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oops! My bad. (fixed)
Old 02-07-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by covenant
Let's see....

The two 36" base cabinets were $122 each and the 6' countertop was $50. So you could get that done for right around $300. Don't forget the trim kit to finished the counter ends. Of course handles are extra. That's for unfinished oak mind you. They have finished cabinets but they cost a little extra.

If you want wall cabinets above the counter, we spent $168 for three.

All the cabinets are from Continental Cabinets: http://www.ccabinc.com/ The unfinished oak on their website looks exactly how ours turned out after a clear poly coat. How house is kinda rustic so it fit nicely.
Thanks for the info, that sounds like something that will look decent and I can afford.
Old 02-07-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pressplay
Buford: now that is a KICKASS space-age kitchen, perfect to serve meals-in-a-pill!
Why Buford? He didn't post in this thread till after your post, and only to correct your spelling.
Old 02-07-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I meant BadlyDrawnBoy. Geez, this was not a good week to stop sniffing glue.

On topic: you could also get a kitchen island if you have to room. I have something like this ($199 at Ikea) and I love it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.