Reload this Page >

Explain "energy drinks" to me

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-06-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing commercials yesterday for Coke's new product Full Throttle, it got me thinking. What exactly is it? I've seen ads and store displays for this and other so called "energy drinks" such as Red Bull, as well as those from Monster and SoBe. I've never tried one and don't really know anything about them.
So what are they?
Who drinks them, and why?
What's in them to make them "energy" producers?
Old 02-06-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think these are marketed to college students who want to be able to stay up long hours (to study, we can hope); truck drivers who need to be alert for long trips; and other shift workers who used to just swill coffee by the gallon.

I would imagine most of these drinks have caffeine or ephedra pumped into them.
Old 02-06-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't be drinking these for extra energy while riding my bike.

Aren't they pretty much high caffeine drinks?
Old 02-06-06, 01:48 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be surprised if they have ephedra given the whole fen-phen debacle, but I really don't know what's in them.
Old 02-06-06, 01:48 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Red Bull has taurine in it.

Taurine has three major roles in human metabolism:

It plays a role in digestion. It is conjugated with the bile acids chenodeoxycholic acid and cholic acid to form (at the usually above 7 pH of bile) the bile salts, sodium taurochenodeoxycholate and sodium taurocholate (see bile).
It may assist in the formation of reactive oxygen species for the respiratory burst in neutrophil granulocytes
There is evidence that it is an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system as well as a precursor to epinepherine.
It has been linked to a number of other metabolic functions but its role is not clear.
Old 02-06-06, 01:49 PM
Enormous Genitals

Then what's it supposed to do, bdb?
Old 02-06-06, 01:50 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

It's pretty much just hopped up on caffeine like others have stated, they do keep you awake.

The wiki for Red Bull is interesting..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

Dietrich Mateschitz traveled to Thailand and saw that the tuk-tuk (rickshaw) drivers drank a substance to keep them energized throughout the day. After some alterations to the recipe, and a flavor modification for the public, Red Bull was born. He adapted it from the Thai beverage Krating Daeng (กระทิงแดง), which translates into the English language as Red Bull. In 1984 he approached the local firm TC Pharmaceuticals to license it. They agreed, and took a 51% stake in his firm, Red Bull GmbH. The architecturally spectacular headquarters are located in Fuschl am See.
Old 02-06-06, 01:51 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
It makes Dietrich very very wealthy. And is a lesson in marketing. and brand recognition.
Old 02-06-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bandoman
That's what I was gonna ask too.
Old 02-06-06, 01:58 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

It's a shot of energy oddly enough, and it gets you 'wired' more so than a coke or a pepsi.

Drink one and you'll feel it, Its a pretty acquired taste, I tried rockstar and hated it, but I love redbull. I switched to the sugar free one as there's no point in taking in 27G of Sugar when you can take in the same of aspartame or something else equally bad for you.

As most state VRB's vodka red bull, can keep you up all night, they are easy to drink.

Now dave can attest to this, the cyclists in the Tour de France, all drink Coke, for sugar and energy, its bizarre, but they seldom drink Gatoradey stuff, its all coke. and not diet.

At the end of the day, it gives you a little buzz, and that's about it, they taste to someone who has not had one sickly sweet.
Old 02-06-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Guru. It contains guarana, panax ginseng, ginkgo biloba and echinacea extracts, which, according to the Web site, "gives you the mental and physical energy you need in the afternoon, at work, while studying, driving, before sports, or during times of stress or fatigue."

I'll have one in the morning to wake me up or to cure the occasional hangover. Ironicaly, it's also a great mixer with vodka. Plus, you can get it delivered directly to your house at no extra cost, a big plus when you are buying a case and live in a third floor walk-up. The diet version is also pretty good.

Old 02-06-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody else remember Jolt Cola from the 80s?

Last edited by Vibiana; 02-06-06 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-06-06, 02:12 PM
Enormous Genitals

Originally Posted by Vibiana

She does.
Old 02-06-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, because it never left. I can still find it all over the place.
Old 02-06-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Drink one and you'll feel it, Its a pretty acquired taste,
Uh, I guess it depends on who you are. I've had Red Bull, Full Throttle, and Rockstar and it has no effect on me. It just tastes like rotten orange juice.
Old 02-06-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think our Tia-imposter has heard of it before.
Old 02-06-06, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll have an energy drink every now and then at work in the morning if I'm tired because I'm not a coffee drinker. Not very often though - maybe once every two weeks on average.
Old 02-06-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had one of those energy drinks about a month ago when I started feeling tired and hungover in the middle of a five hour drive. It was either get an energy drink or gas station coffee, so I figured I'd try the energy drink. I can't remember which one I bought, but it tasted like liquid bubble gum and it felt like it was instantly dissolving my teeth. It did keep me awake for the rest of the drive, though. Next time I'll go for the coffee. At least I know what to expect from nasty coffee.
Old 02-06-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Uh, I guess it depends on who you are. I've had Red Bull, Full Throttle, and Rockstar and it has no effect on me. It just tastes like rotten orange juice.
I've tried various ones as well with the same results. Zero effect. I even drank one and proceeded to go to bed 30 minutes later. Never phased me. The only time one of them worked is when I chased it with a 16 oz. Mtn. Dew. Then I was wired, but alone? Nah, doesn't do it for me.

I want to know why they are more expensive than a 20oz soft drink. That is a big mystery to me. I think it is just marked up on percieved value. i.e. you can't get wired on that 16oz Dew, but you can on this 10oz Dew Energy drink so you have to pay twice as much.
Old 02-06-06, 03:50 PM

Red Bull has taurine in it.
First thought that came to mind when I read that on the can was...

"Taurine? You mean this stuff is made from bull piss??"

Old 02-06-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think those drinks are more popular now because so many people don't like coffee, myself included. I'll have a cup of it every now and then, but I really don't like the taste.

It's strange to think of how things have evolved over the years. A few short decades ago, my mother would have swatted me one if she saw me drinking pop at 9 AM, and most people who drank coffee would have agreed. But today, it's nothing -- there I am every morning with my Diet Coke, in front of God and everybody.
Old 02-06-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now dave can attest to this, the cyclists in the Tour de France, all drink Coke, for sugar and energy, its bizarre, but they seldom drink Gatoradey stuff, its all coke. and not diet.
I've never had Coke myself during a race, but have handed off Cokes before. This one rider was very picky in what he drank. He had one bottle of flat Coke for later in the race. If it was too carbonated he would throw it on the ground. Cyclists are weird folks.
Old 02-06-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

they taste to someone who has not had one sickly sweet.
That's pretty much the impression I always had about these drinks and probably the main reason I never tried one. I can't take super sweet drinks.
For soft drinks, I generally drink water, unflavored plain seltzer, or unsweetened iced tea. I do drink coffee in the morning though for my daily jolt. But I'll only put maybe a quarter teaspoon (if that) of sugar in a large mug of coffee.
Old 02-06-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
some of them have B-vitamins as well. I like the Sobe Adrenaline Rush. I don't think that these drinks make me hopped up, but then, neither does coffee. But I do feel like they can sometimes help...
Old 02-06-06, 04:23 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I need one now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.