Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How do YOU keep away sales people that come to your house?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-06-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, so my building is getting invaded by door to door salesmen and I've just about had it.

Just this weekend, I've had to deal with two. First, it was a tag team trying to hook me up with a new cable phone service. They seemed harmless, but it took me forever to get them to leave (and I didn't even let them INSIDE my apartment). They would just stand there and read from their pre-scripted thing, pushing for a sale that was as likely to happen as me inviting them over for dinner.

The second one was an ex-convict selling belt buckles and watches. I'm all for giving a guy a second chance, but this one was a scary dude. Invading people's home to sell them crap hardly seems like a good way to make a fresh start.

I live in a building that has 8 units, with a buzzer/intercom at the door to keep strangers somewhat at bay. I'm getting really tired of people living in the building just buzzing in anybody who asks.

I'm about to stick a “no salesmen” thing on the front door and a “I told you to keep away, fool” sign on my door. Door to door sales people are such pests.

Anyone else lives in a building that has that problem?
Old 02-06-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't answer my door unless I'm expecting someone or I can verify the identity of the person at my door (and I know them).
Old 02-06-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

tell them you aren't interested and ignore them
Old 02-06-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 02-06-06, 11:08 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I don't get salespeople, but I get people from every public interest group out there trying to get me to join their organization, sign a petition, and most importantly, give money. They are WAY more annoying than salespeople. I just tell them I'm not interested and close the door. Approximately half the time they'll say someting like "You're not interested in clean air and water?", to which I will reply "Nope, I like 'em dirty." Then I close the door.

Last edited by Bandoman; 02-06-06 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-06-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

just get all crazy eyes on them. if youu dont know how, it's like someone hit you in the back of the head and your eyes are about to pop out.
Old 02-06-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I keep getting people knocking on my door to tell me about their church. I told them that I am happy with the one I go to but I've gotten visits from 4 different pairs of people in the last year.
Old 02-06-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't have imagined there would still be door-to-door sales people in this day and age.

On the other hand, when I was in an apartment, I had, on two occassions, cable people knock at my door if they were servicing someone else in my building.
Old 02-06-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was expecting a package from FedEx last week. I was upstairs getting ready for work and hadn't put on a shirt yet. Doorbell rings. I figure the odds are that the delivery person is a guy so I run downstairs w/out my shirt. I get to the door and see a lady rummaging through her purse (through one of the two door-long side windows). I immediately shimmied my back up against the door and stood there until I heard these two women stop talking. I was laughing about it because if I moved to the left or right they would have seen me trying to hide from them. Turned out to be little old ladies inviting people to their church (as I noticed from watching them go across the street with their bibles).
Old 02-06-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Hold on a second. I'll be right back."

Don't come back.

das
Old 02-06-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Premise
I put that sign at my gate and no one bothers me.
Old 02-06-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey

Don't come back.

das

I don't answer my door either. The barking dog attacking the front window tends to shoo them away quick enough.
Old 02-06-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Our town has an ordinance that this isn't allowed. There's also a sticker by the front door mentioning this fact.
Old 02-06-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tell them I'm not interested. I usually interrupt when they talk and if they even hint at being persuasive I just shut the door. Screw it. If I wanted someone to come to my house and try to sell me something I would have signed up for a quote on something. Luckily the only person who has ever come by is some dude out of a neighboring city selling overpriced meat.
Old 02-06-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you gated community!

When I lived in an apartment in b'more 3-4 years ago I had a problem with sketchy door to door services. It was usually guys casing places to rob and/or scam.

-p
Old 02-06-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

open the door holding my gun
Old 02-06-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I live in a gated community now and haven't had any door-to-door salespeople since I moved in here, but when I used to live in an apartment complex I just wouldn't answer the door.
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12
I don't answer my door unless I'm expecting someone or I can verify the identity of the person at my door (and I know them).
Me too. Same with the phone, if I don't recognize the name/number on the call display, I ain't answering. If it's that important, they can leave a message (and of course, the sales scumbags never do)
DVD Talk Hero

I've been contemplating a no solicitors sign. It drives me crazy, though it's only once a month or so. The thing that concerns me the most is people coming when I am away. But that's almost never since I work from home.
DVD Talk Legend

Just do not answer the door. Not only good for avoiding sales people, but also a good safety idea.
Old 02-06-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a no soliciting sign on my door, people wanting me to sign petitions, etc, etc and even some solicitors STILL have the nerve to knock.

I point to the sign, ask them (in an angry tone) if they can fucking read and slam the door.

I had one religious type try to start his converstaion by claiming that he wasn't selling anything. About 3 words after that, I said BS, you are selling god and I am not interested (slam)

About all you can do is not answer the door, or close the door in their face. If you do anything else it shows interest.
Old 02-06-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey

Don't come back.

das

I do that to phone sollicitors.

I always answer the door because it's usually the super coming up to take care of something for me. I NEVER buzz in people I don't know into the main building door, but if someone comes up to my app. door and knocks, I open it.

I think my downstairs neighbor is the culprit: she seems lonely and in need of people to talk to.

I should talk to the other tennants and get them to agree to NOT let people in. Or maybe I just need to get this:

Last edited by Pressplay; 02-06-06 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-06-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like their telemarketing cousins, door-to-door sales people have been trained NEVER to take "No" for an answer, so the only way to deal with them is to shut the door in their faces. I don't feel that I'm being rude either since they are the ones who rudely invaded my property to try and sell me something I don't need.
Old 02-06-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My number one rule as a woman who lives by herself is never to open the door to strangers. That's why doors have peepholes.
Old 02-06-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"I'm sorry, we've got the plague."

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.