Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How Hard is it to get into MIT ?

Old 02-05-06, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How Hard is it to get into MIT ?

From what i know, MIT is the Geek capital of the world ?? I say that in a complimentary way, some of the world's most brilliant scientific minds which shape the direction mankind is heading come from there, is this right ?

So the question is, how hard is it to get into MIT ?
Old 02-05-06, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go wherever Monzy goes. He's been to MIT.

Personal pages: http://www.monzy.com/

Professional pages: http://www.monzy.org/

His research projects are hilarious.
Old 02-05-06, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tough. Nearly everyone admitted was #1 (or very close to it) in his high school class, and half of them will have grades in the lower half of the freshman class. Quite traumatic for some. I mention that only because a few "fall by the wayside."

However, in the undergraduate program, I think the excellence comes more from only letting the best in than any innovation in teaching methods. There is probably a real edge in the graduate school, in terms of labs, professors you work with, etc.

Of course, my experience originates from when I was there, 1962-68, plus going back to interview for engineers over the years.
Old 02-05-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you really want to go to MIT, you go to WPI for a year and then transfer over. That's the easy way, or so I hear.

Also, I did not match OldDude's criteria however I did manage to get accepted. My personality is quite different from most engineers, however, so perhaps i was a token acceptance. I decided that I would not fit in and declined their offer.
Old 02-05-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Uh.. yeah I declined their offer as well, to much hard work to little payoff.
Old 02-05-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know a female teacher that got her undergrad from MIT and she's teaching inner-city kids at school that want to apply themselves.

She seems fairly happy but $30K and massive aggravation (her discipline skills aren't there) could be considered a tough road.
Old 02-05-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mrs. Pusser had several scholarship offers (some were full ride) for engineering and one of them was MIT and another was Case Western.

She decided she didn't want that major and passed thus setting into play a series of life changes that would one day allow her to meet me. Lucky her!
Old 02-05-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I dated a girl who went to MIT for her Bachelor's and Master's. Yes, you have to be very smart.

BTW, CalTech is also known for being incredibly nerdy.
Old 02-05-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually think CalTech is harder to get into. MIT is a great program, but you need to definately have something to seperate yourself from the pack. A friend of mine wrote a math theorem and got it published (he obviously got in, but declined b/c of the crazy work load).

-p
Old 02-05-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigPete
If you really want to go to MIT, you go to WPI for a year and then transfer over. That's the easy way, or so I hear.
What's WPI?
Old 02-05-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester, MA - it's a decent enough engineering school, along the same lines as Clarkson, RPI, RIT, etc.

Basically, the people who get into MIT and can't deal with it tend to transfer to WPI and the people who wanted to go to MIT but couldn't get in go to WPI and reapply at MIT each year.
Old 02-05-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OldDude

Tough. Nearly everyone admitted was #1 (or very close to it) in his high school class
Not even close to reflective of my class. The top people from my graduating class went to places like Duke, Princeton, Rice, North Carolina, Yale, George Washington, Amherst, and Georgia Tech. 3 from my class went to MIT, and not one of them was in the Top 20. Granted, I graduated with some really smart people, but getting into MIT was no more difficult than any other strong program. I found the application process to get accepted to Duke and Harvard much more difficult than MIT (MIT just cared that I had 800 Math, Duke and Harvard made me prove I had something to offer). Of course, I turned them all down to go to Georgia Tech, because I wasn't about to pay $30,000 a year for the same education I could get for free in my hometown. There's no sense spending that kind of money on an undergraduate program, unless you absolutely must have the networking that comes with a "name" school. I don't know much about the lower 2 MIT guys from our class, but I know the top guy who was somewhere around 25th in our class was rejected by Duke and Cal Tech, and MIT was his backup. A more accurate statement seems like, "Nearly everyone admitted has an 800 SAT Math".

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 02-05-06 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-05-06, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigPete
Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester, MA - it's a decent enough engineering school, along the same lines as Clarkson, RPI, RIT, etc.

Basically, the people who get into MIT and can't deal with it tend to transfer to WPI and the people who wanted to go to MIT but couldn't get in go to WPI and reapply at MIT each year.
My stepson just got accepted to WPI. He also have been accpeted to Purdue and Georgia Tech. He's still waiting to hear from Northwestern. So, far WPI has offered by far the most merit scholarships (about $26K per year).

He's a smart guy, but since he only applied to these four schools and has been accpeted into all of them (so far), I'm not sure it has sunk in how competitive it all is...

To attempt a meager connection to the actual thread topic, he didn't consider applying to MIT.
Old 02-05-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My HS always sends a few people to MIT every year. It is a 'technology' heavy HS, so it is a great place to cultivate MIT-type people. I think undergrad is a great experience, and you should look for fit and not just ranking.

-p
Old 02-05-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Not even close to reflective of my class. The top people from my graduating class went to places like Duke, Princeton, Rice, North Carolina, Yale, George Washington, Amherst, and Georgia Tech. 3 from my class went to MIT, and not one of them was in the Top 20. Granted, I graduated with some really smart people, but getting into MIT was no more difficult than any other strong program. I found the application process to get accepted to Duke and Harvard much more difficult than MIT (MIT just cared that I had 800 Math, Duke and Harvard made me prove I had something to offer). Of course, I turned them all down to go to Georgia Tech, because I wasn't about to pay $30,000 a year for the same education I could get for free in my hometown. There's no sense spending that kind of money on an undergraduate program, unless you absolutely must have the networking that comes with a "name" school. I don't know much about the lower 2 MIT guys from our class, but I know the top guy who was somewhere around 25th in our class was rejected by Duke and Cal Tech, and MIT was his backup. A more accurate statement seems like, "Nearly everyone admitted has an 800 SAT Math".

das
My expereience is similar. I went to public high school, though I'd like to think it was a pretty smart class it wasn't a magnet school or anything. My prom date ended up going to MIT, and although smart, she wasn't the tip top of the class. I didn't apply to MIT, so I can't speak to it personally, but I suspect I could have gotten in and I was somewhere around 10th in my class at a public high school. And I'm sure others can reach that level with a little work.

As for Georgia Tech, I turned their ass down! Take that Yellow Jackets
Old 02-05-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I was talking about a public high school too. My graduating class had some very, very smart people in it, but it was still public.

das
Old 02-06-06, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would imagine that it's more trouble than it's worth

This from a 1987 BS Physics graduate of Santa Clara University in California
Old 02-06-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was able to get into IIT (pretty much the same thing), so it can't be that hard.

Old 02-06-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by John Sy
I would imagine that it's more trouble than it's worth

This from a 1987 BS Physics graduate of Santa Clara University in California
I think it's probably worth it. My brother completed his undergrad and master's work there a few years ago. The opportunities offered to him while he was there, the quality of his peers and the quality of his instructors would be difficult to beat at any school. If you have the aptitude, I don't think an engineering student could do better.
Old 02-06-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It depends a lot on what your major is. Many colleges have to accept lower ranked students to fill a particular major (although this is not always the case). If you're going to MIT to be an engineer or something in computers, expect it to be difficult to get in. I had a friend who wanted to go there, was #1 in his class (mind you it was a class of 100) and had a 1500 on his SATs and got rejected. He ended up at Northeastern instead.
Old 02-06-06, 01:17 PM

Is it hard to become a janitor there?
Old 02-06-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Is it hard to become a janitor there?
Do you really wanna be sweeping the "endless corridor?"