Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Job Transfer Question

Old 02-02-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Job Transfer Question

Does anyone's employer make them notify their current boss of their intention to apply for another job within the company? Mine does. It's so stupid. I'm pretty sure that people will choose to simply look for another job outside the company in order to protect their confidentiality.

With the exception of my direct supervisor, the rest of the management in my department are real A-holes that treat the rest of us like numbers. People were discouraged from taking any time off during the holidays a couple months ago. I really like my boss, but I can't take the B.S. anymore and want to be able to interview for other opportunities within the company. I really don't want to tell him that the real reason why I want to apply out or even let him know I want out, but otoh I don't want to lie.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 02-02-06 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-02-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Simple if they ask you want to expand your horizons and knowledge of the company.
Old 02-02-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I understand your explanation. It still unnecessarily makes the situation from that moment on uncomfortable every moment I remain there.
Old 02-03-06, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. One of my jobs required that. It was really annoying, and basically just let my manager know that if I didn't get that job, he could get rid of me and not feel bad.
Old 02-03-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i think in almost every company they will talk to your manager before they transfer you for his OK. I just moved jobs inside my company, and I had to wait until they hired my replacement.
Old 02-03-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i think in almost every company they will talk to your manager before they transfer you for his OK. I just moved jobs inside my company, and I had to wait until they hired my replacement.
But those are two different things, Al. Of course it is only fair to have some sort of an exit strategy once you are going (replacement hiring) but that doesn't mean your supervisor needs to know you're considering options.

In the one large company I worked for, there was no policy of informing your manager. Of coure HR usually went behind people's backs and told their managers. Also, the official policy was that anyone could change departments, apply for jobs, etc... but behind the scenes most jobs were given/taken by handshakes between Sr. Management.

Jack, why are you afraid to let them know? Have you tried to effect some sort of change (title? responsiblity? role? pay?) that your management has been unwilling to deal with?

What is the new department you are looking at it? How does it differ from your current one?

It should be easy to come up with a "reason" that doesn't involve the truth. They'll want to believe that the situation isn't about them, so it will be an easy sell.
Old 02-03-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My company requires it only if you've been at your present job for less than 6 months.
Old 02-03-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mine did - but no one told me until I had already thrown my hat in the ring for the other position. We're very small so there are no formal procedures fo rthese things. Man, what a shitstorm that caused.
Old 02-03-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bushdog
But those are two different things, Al. Of course it is only fair to have some sort of an exit strategy once you are going (replacement hiring) but that doesn't mean your supervisor needs to know you're considering options.

In the one large company I worked for, there was no policy of informing your manager. Of coure HR usually went behind people's backs and told their managers. Also, the official policy was that anyone could change departments, apply for jobs, etc... but behind the scenes most jobs were given/taken by handshakes between Sr. Management.

Jack, why are you afraid to let them know? Have you tried to effect some sort of change (title? responsiblity? role? pay?) that your management has been unwilling to deal with?

What is the new department you are looking at it? How does it differ from your current one?

It should be easy to come up with a "reason" that doesn't involve the truth. They'll want to believe that the situation isn't about them, so it will be an easy sell.
My department doesn't like people to leave. I've seen that once someone has let it be known that they were interested in transferring, they're basically dead man/woman walking. They won't be promoted and are treated like crap. It's kinda percevied as an act of disloyalty or something. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's their mentality. I don't yet know enough about the area that I'm interested in transferring into, so I really need to get as much info as possible, up to and including a verbal offer if possible, before making it public. Also, the hiring manager works pretty closely with the department I'm currently in, so I was told by the HR recruiter that he wants to do it by the book. So, I have to see to what extent I can "pre-interview" before I say anything to my boss. It's a totally F'd up policy. Even the HR guy said it was stupid.

I've been at working at the same title for almost 2 years, have gotten great reviews, and have been told I'd be promoted. So far, talk has been all I've gotten. I like my direct boss a lot, but the management above him are A-holes. I'm not sure I'd want to stay even if the do promote me. Life is not pleasant where I'm at, and with a promotion would come even more B.S. politics with these people. Time for a change. The new department is fairly similar to my current, one, just a different reporting heirarchy. Not sure if it would be a whole lot better, but that's kinda what I wanted to feel out through the interview process and asking around.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 02-03-06 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-24-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I have an update on this. I found out from a third party that one of the managers I briefly spoke to about the possibility of working for went to my boss and told him basically everything I had told him. This included that I was looking for other opportunities both inside and outside. I am STEAMING MAD!!! This guy told me that he would keep our talk confidential. I've been informed that my boss is going to ask to have a sit down with me first thing next week to find out what's up? WTH gave that guy the right to breach the confidentiality. Do they have no ethics at my company to allow this type of behavior? I'm PISSED! I have a 2nd interview at an outside company this Monday and really hope that I get the offer.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 02-24-06 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-26-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still pissed off, but I decided to go on the "offensive" and sent my boss an email letting him know that I wanted to talk to him. I'm probably going to find out whether I'll receive another job offer and hopefully it will be one that I'll want to accept. Should be an interesting week coming up.
Old 02-26-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't understand why you are so upset? I would simply approach it professionally but matter fact. I mean, do you think your company never had an employee apply for a job with another company? It has happened before, and will happen again.

IMHO, I don't like that you sent an e-mail. Why not just talk to him or pick up the phone? Or are you in a "virtual" environment? Still I think a phone call would have been better.

Surely your company encourages employee growth and understanding of other departments within the company. I would approach it from this aspect. Let your current boss know that he/she has a motivated, flexible employee that wants to make sure he is in the best position to do everything he can for the company as a whole. A "real" manager is someone who looks for the good of the overall company even if it means loosing a good employee to another department.
Old 02-26-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My issue is that I asked the manager I spoke to to keep the conversation quiet and let me talk to my boss when I was ready. So what does he do? He goes and tells him anyway before I had the chance to tell him in person. I have a big problem with that ethically as he betrayed me. And now I'm supposed to still seriously consider working for him?

Last edited by Jack Straw; 02-26-06 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-26-06, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
My issue is that I asked the manager I spoke to to keep the conversation quiet and let me talk to my boss when I was ready. So what does he do? He goes and tells him anyway before I had the chance to tell him in person. I have a big problem with that ethically as he betrayed me. And now I'm supposed to still seriously consider working for him?
Well it sounds like the manager you spoke to made a promise he shouldn't have. The manager you spoke with should not have spoken with you if he could not keep his mouth shut. However, I'm not sure you should have asked. If you want to talk to another manager, ask if you can talk to them, but I don't think there should be conditions attached. In all honesty it sounds sneaky to me "hey I'd like to talk to you, but don't tell my boss".

Regardless of what happened, now the question is how to handle. IMHO, you need to be truthful and professional or risk looking bad for both managers.
Old 02-26-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well that's just it. Until I have another offer locked up, I do have to bend over and take it. I still need to work with these people and I would only be hurting myself by starting a war over what's occurred. However, it has really left a bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps I was naive to think that this wouldn't happen. I have sent my boss an email letting him know that I wanted to talk to him when I return to the office on Tuesday. I figure I should go on the offensive since I have nothing to lose now by telling him (as he already knows anyway). Makes me look like I kept my word and then he will have to act surprised instead of me.