Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hundreds of dead pets found in forest

Old 02-02-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hundreds of dead pets found in forest

From CNN:

More than 250 dead animals have been identified, inventoried and photographed, the state said. They included animals with rabies vaccination and name tags, indicating they were pets.

Most of the animals were dogs and cats, but there were also mice, rats, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, foxes, hawks and deer.

Some of the animals had been decapitated, said Maj. Jerry Jenkins of Division of Natural Resources law enforcement.

The dead animals were removed Monday from the wooded area in Hampshire County, near Capon Bridge, West Virginia. A second and similar discovery continues to be investigated in Hardy County.

Fairfax County Police Lt. Rich Perez said some of the animals came from that county and indicated that some of the animals found had previously been turned over to Family Pet Cremations.

The Chantilly, Virginia-based company has contracts with the department to dispose of dead, sick or stray animals, Perez said.

"We are disturbed and concerned that animal remains we were turning over to Family Pet Cremations have turned up at this illegal dump site," he said.

The department would look at whether the contract with the company will continue, he said. Calls to the crematorium were not returned.

Jenkins said his agency removed more than 4,000 pounds of animal carcasses, some of them with intravenous tubes in their legs.
Old 02-02-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

west virginia?!?!!? who woulda thought.
Old 02-02-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I hope the state fines the hell out of those guys.
Old 02-02-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kvrdave you have gone too far this time....
Old 02-02-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Some of the animals had been decapitated, said Maj. Jerry Jenkins of Division of Natural Resources law enforcement.
They have to remove the heads of dogs that are believed to have rabies, do they not?
Old 02-02-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like someone showed up to the barbeque a little early.
Old 02-02-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Between this and the coal mines it's surprising anyone leaves West Virgina alive.
Old 02-02-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I saw that in House of Wax...
Old 02-02-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 02-02-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
west virginia?!?!!? who woulda thought.
"The Chantilly, Virginia-based company"
Old 02-02-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What is so hard about running a crematorium?

I mean, c'mon. Just keep a fire burning.
Old 02-02-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Kvrdave you have gone too far this time....

That's the first thing I thought when I read the article.
Old 02-02-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The department would look at whether the contract with the company will continue, he said.
Yeah. That needs a lot of thought.
Old 02-02-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read the thread title as "Hundreds of dead poets found in forest" and I was like, that's a start...
Old 02-02-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs
I read the thread title as "Hundreds of dead poets found in forest"
Same...
Old 02-03-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-03-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just glad it was an illegal dumping by a company rather than some psycho pet murderer on the loose.
Old 02-03-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed. That's what I was thinking until I got to the crematory part.
Old 02-03-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe Vampires drained them of blood?

Horrible!!!
Old 02-03-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs
I read the thread title as "Hundreds of dead poets found in forest" and I was like, that's a start...

Old 02-03-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More on the story:

Hundreds of Dead Pets Dumped
W.Va. Officials, Investigating a Fairfax Crematory, Describe a 'Morbid Scene'

By Leef Smith
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, February 3, 2006; B01

The carcasses of hundreds of pets from the Washington region have been dumped in a rural West Virginia town, and a Chantilly company that was paid to cremate the animals is the focus of an investigation, Fairfax County police said yesterday.

Investigators with West Virginia's Division of Natural Resources said about 250 animals -- dogs, cats, rabbits, raccoons, white-tailed deer, foxes, even an exotic bird -- were discovered Saturday morning by a woman walking on private residential property in Hampshire County, about 70 miles west of Dulles International Airport.

Officials said it appeared that no effort had been made to hide the animals, mostly dogs and cats, which were piled and left to rot. Some still had intravenous tubes attached.

"It was a morbid scene," said Lt. Harry Shaver, a spokesman for the law enforcement section of the Division of Natural Resources. The agency investigates the unlawful disposal of animal carcasses, which can be punished by fines and jail time. "It's not an uncommon occurrence in West Virginia for our agency to receive a complaint of refuse dumping and locate a dead animal. But something of this magnitude, with this number of animals, is unusual."

Investigators said they used collars and identification medallions to link the animals to the Fairfax County Animal Shelter and to facilities in several other jurisdictions in Northern Virginia. Officials declined to name any of the other locations.

Until the discovery, made near the town of Capon Bridge, Fairfax's animal shelter had a contract with Family Pet Cremations in Chantilly -- whose motto is "Your friend is our friend" -- to dispose of animals that had died or been euthanized, county officials said. The company also has been used by Montgomery County and by private veterinarians.

No one answered the phone yesterday at Family Pet Cremations, also known as Northern Virginia Funeral Services.

Fairfax officials said their contract with the company was canceled Sunday.

"They had a legal obligation to properly dispose of the animals, and it looks like they didn't do that," said Fairfax County police spokeswoman Mary Mulrenan. "As a police department, we're disturbed and concerned. It's a horrific finding." The police department oversees the animal shelter.

Officials with the Montgomery County Animal Services Division, which had used Family Pet Cremations for five years, said yesterday it also had canceled its contract. The discovery of the animals was first reported on WRC-TV (Channel 4).

Mulrenan said Fairfax County was conducting an audit of its contract with the company and an administrative inquiry into a Fairfax County Animal Shelter civilian employee who worked part time at Family Pet Cremations. The employee was put on administrative leave Wednesday, officials said.

Family Pet Cremations's Web site outlines its philosophy: "Our caring and compassionate staff are professionals. We treat your pet as if they were our own. Out of respect we follow the same strict cremation guidelines as funeral homes."

Yesterday, officials with the U.S. Forest Service said they were investigating a possible connection between the animals and a similar incident that occurred just before Christmas about 30 miles away in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests. In that case, a visitor to the park found about 50 to 75 pets -- domesticated and strays as well as wild animals -- in a mound.

"It was pretty disgusting," said Woody Lipps, a patrol captain in charge of law enforcement for the national forests. "I think if you look at this remote corner of West Virginia and you have two sites like this, it would be highly unlikely that they're not linked."

Lipps said his department established a link between the animals found in the forest and the Fairfax County Animal Shelter last week, just before the discovery in Hampshire County.

"At this point, all I know is [the crematory] had a contractual agreement with Fairfax County to deal with these animals, and we know these animals were at one point in time dealt with by Fairfax," Lipps said. "What happened in between is what we're trying to figure out
Old 02-03-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Virex
They have to remove the heads of dogs that are believed to have rabies, do they not?
Yes, it's the only way to break the curse.
Old 02-04-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gross but not too bad... until I got to the "intravenous tubes still attached" part. Our cat had this put in her leg to make her passing quiet and painless (poor sweet Mabb). I can't imagine the thought of her just lying in a mound in the woods. They should make these mf'ers fry for this.

-Gunshy
Old 02-04-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since I live in the area and we had a cat put down not too long ago, I am wondering if she ended up in some pile in the woods somewhere...
Old 02-04-06, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by orangerory

"It was pretty disgusting," said Woody Lipps, a patrol captain in charge of law enforcement for the national forests. "I think if you look at this remote corner of West Virginia and you have two sites like this, it would be highly unlikely that they're not linked."
Woody Lipps????