Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

27 year employee of major construction company fired. No, scratch that...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-02-06, 04:15 PM

First this: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....17f524e4.html (as of 12am today)
Zachry is stung by another e-mail

Web Posted: 02/02/2006 12:00 AM CST
Laura E. Jesse
Express-News Staff Writer

A 27-year employee of Zachry Construction Corp. was fired this week for sending an e-mail from the company's server to City Councilwoman Elena Guajardo with what she called "very racial and very discriminatory" comments.

It was the second time in eight months that a Zachry employee has embarrassed the company by sending an e-mail containing disparaging remarks about various parts of the city.

"When I read it I thought, 'Another e-mail from Zachry. What is going on?'" Guajardo said Wednesday.

George Dickerson, who worked in the company's procurement department, wrote to complain about Graham Central Station, a large nightclub on Fredericksburg Road. It's across the street from the subdivision where he lives.

Dickerson wrote that the club attracts "undesirable, low class elements from bad parts of the city into our upper class part of the city for which we pay a very large tax burden in which to live to be safe and away from such elements."

He also wrote that the entertainment at the club "is of a lude, lascivious, low class, debaucheristic, criminalistic, riot insistic, anarchistic nature. Thereby inciting the absolute worst behavior from the worst possible type of patron."

Those patrons, he went on, come from the "lower class bad parts of the city" and that the club should be forced to relocate to one of those areas, "thereby containing all of these very serious problems within the areas in which these types of criminal debaucheric behavior occur on a regular basis."

Contacted at home Wednesday, Dickerson refused to comment.

Vicky Waddy, Zachry's public affairs director, said the company was disappointed to learn of the e-mail and that it was a violation of the company's policy on computer use.

Last summer, Ken Wolf, who was vice president of Metropolitan Resources Inc., a Zachry subsidiary, resigned after he sent an e-mail through a company computer in May saying the SBC Center, now AT&T Center, was built "in the ghetto" because of a lack of leadership in city government.

Waddy said the company will increase its training on the computer-use policy and remind people about its e-mail policy.

The fallout from Wolf's May e-mail included a public apology from H.B. Zachry Jr., who heads the company, and a community effort to scrap plans to give Zachry Realty Inc. $1.9 million in tax money for a Staybridge Suites Hotel near Sunset Station.

Eventually the company agreed to give $750,000 to the East Side's Community Economic Revitalization Agency to help lure jobs to the East Side, and they trimmed the original request for tax money to $1 million.

"The bottom line is it's not the Zachrys, but that's what concerns me: It came from their company," said Guajardo, whose district is heavily Hispanic. "We have a beautiful city and we can't pit one side of town against another."
Then this: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....63cdae9e.html (as of 2:08 pm today)
Ex-Zachry employee dies from self-inflicted gunshot

Web Posted: 02/02/2006 02:08 PM CST
Brian Chasnoff
Express-News Staff Writer

A former employee of Zachry Construction Corp. died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head this morning -- the same week he was fired for sending an e-mail from the company's server to a city councilwoman deemed "very racial and very discriminatory."

George Dickerson, 52, was pronounced dead around 9 a.m. in the backyard of his home in the 600 block of Glencrest. Police said the death was a suicide.

His suicide occurred the same day that the Express-News ran an article detailing Dickerson's e-mail to Councilwoman Elena Guajardo, in which Dickerson complained about Graham Central Station, a large nightclub across from Oak Hills, the North Side subdivision where Dickerson and his wife lived.

In a short note left behind on a desk, Dickerson wrote, "Due to past and current events, I've decided to end my life," said John Oberman, a cousin of Dickerson's.

"I don't think media coverage was an issue (in the suicide)," Oberman said, speaking Thursday morning outside Dickerson's home. "I think he was mostly upset over losing his job."

The San Antonio Express-News generally does not report on suicides unless they or the circumstances surrounding them are public.

In his e-mail to Guajardo, Dickerson had railed against the "undesirable, low-class elements from bad parts of the city" that the club attracts "into our upper class part of the city for which we pay a very large tax burden in which to live to be safe and away from such elements."

He also wrote that entertainment at the club was of a "lude, lascivious, low class, debaucheristic, criminalistic, riot insistic, anarchistic nature."

Dickerson had lived in the Oak Hills subdivision for about eight years and recently had met with the neighborhood association to discuss problems with the nightclub. His e-mail to Guajardo was meant to rectify long-standing safety concerns related to the nightclub, Oberman said.

Dickerson "was not racist," Oberman said. "He was concerned about beer bottles, fast drivers and a lot of ruckus going on that was not good for his neighborhood."

Vicky Waddy, a spokeswoman for Zachry, said Dickerson was fired for violating the company's computer use policy.

"The policy prohibits the use of the company's e-mail for personal messages or for sending material that is harassing, embarrassing, obscene, intimidating, inflammatory or otherwise inappropriate," Waddy said.

Dickerson's wife told police her husband was "very depressed" after being fired from Zachry, where he had worked for 27 years, according to a police report.
Long story short: HB Zachry employee wrote to a city councilwoman about a club near his home, and how he thinks it should be located closer to the parts of town where a majority of the club patrons live. The email is seen as "very racial and very discriminatory" and he is fired from his job after 27 years. This morning, the day the article is put online and published, he shoots himself in the head at his home.

I've parked and walked to the doors of this club once. Let's just say I turned right around (with the group I was with) and went right back to the car. Haven't been back since, and I have nothing nice to say about the place.

Anyways, it makes you wonder that he must have seen or heard about the story being online, and the stress of that mixed with being fired from a job you've worked at for 27 years... I am not saying I agree or disagree with what he wrote, but it is pretty sad how it all turned out.
Old 02-02-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Definitely sad. But let's not lose sight of the fact that he chose to take his life. Clearly this was not a person in good mental health.

The actions by the company were reasonable.
Old 02-02-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am thinking he didn't really kill himself. Since this was racially motivated, I wouldn't doubt it if someone killed him and made it look like a suicide.
Old 02-02-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is of a lude, lascivious, low class, debaucheristic, criminalistic, riot insistic, anarchistic nature.
So was he for or against it? The article doesn't say.
Old 02-02-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
My eyes are not what they used to be... can anyone point out to me the racist content in his email?
Old 02-02-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What was racial in that guys complaint email? He said they were from the "lower class poor parts of town". I don't see how that is racial or even desparaging, it's a fact isn't it?

I think it is unfair to fire a guy after 27 years for 1 email. Did they at least give him a prior warning? Seems a bit extreme for to fire him over this.
Old 02-02-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

"I don't think media coverage was an issue (in the suicide)," Oberman said, speaking Thursday morning outside Dickerson's home.

translates

"We are blameless. All hail the press!"

I didn't see anything racist in it?
Old 02-02-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, using a company's email is like writing a letter and using the company's location as the return address. A lot of companies have strict rules about company email, but I hope they did at least give the guy a warning.

But of course, the city councilwoman is a total bitch.
Old 02-02-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The councilwoman is the racist one, by assuming "low class" = minorities.
Old 02-02-06, 06:02 PM
Banned

I hope I don't get caught for posting this, but if I do, I've chosen A bag of nitrous over my head.

(My note will be a little clearer on the details too.)
Old 02-02-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
"I don't think media coverage was an issue (in the suicide)," Oberman said, speaking Thursday morning outside Dickerson's home.

translates

"We are blameless. All hail the press!"

I didn't see anything racist in it?
Well, obviously their actions appears to have contributed to the situation, but do you assign blame to them?
Old 02-02-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger
Well, using a company's email is like writing a letter and using the company's location as the return address. A lot of companies have strict rules about company email, but I hope they did at least give the guy a warning.

But of course, the city councilwoman is a total bitch.
Thin skinned, too.
Old 02-02-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He should have known better than to use his work email. It's easy enough to get a yahoo or gmail account. Send your personal crap from those.
dave
Old 02-02-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Agreed.
Old 02-02-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Ex-Zachry.

I mean...exactly.
Old 02-02-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bushdog
Well, obviously their actions appears to have contributed to the situation, but do you assign blame to them?

No, but I get amused when they go into defensive mode claiming they only report the news.
Old 02-02-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep in mind that he worked for a construction company, and construction companies don't want to piss off a councilman because they could potentially lose business.

Bad move on George Dickenson's part.

And speaking of thin-skinned, how about 'ol George? So he got fired, he was 52 and not that far from retirement. He could have gotten another job to get by for a few years and then retire on whatever retirement he's saved up.
Old 02-02-06, 11:41 PM
Banned

I believed this is the club.

http://www.grahamcentralstationsanantonio.com/

click on photos
Old 02-02-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, a bunch of Mexican Latino girls. Many fugly, some normal, a few hot. With randomly interspersed guys and a few whiteys. Isn't that the general makeup of San Antonio's population? Regardless, they all look like poor, undesirable trash and should be shot for the wasted gas driving from their side of the tracks.

Old 02-03-06, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Yep, a bunch of Mexican Latino girls. Many fugly, some normal, a few hot. With randomly interspersed guys and a few whiteys. Isn't that the general makeup of San Antonio's population? Regardless, they all look like poor, undesirable trash and should be shot for the wasted gas driving from their side of the tracks.

Your choice of sentences combine both fact, fiction, and insanity. If sarcasm was your point, I think you could have managed a better way.
Old 02-03-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Donít feel one bit sorry for George. He was a dumb ass for writing the email using the company email and then an even dumber ass for shooting himself.

As for those who have expressed sympathy writing that they hoped he was at least warned: Hello! Didnít the article mention that a VP had to resign just a year ago for miss use of the company email? Was George so out of it that he didnít realize it probably wasnít a good idea to do the same thing?
Old 02-03-06, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan
Donít feel one bit sorry for George. He was a dumb ass for writing the email using the company email and then an even dumber ass for shooting himself.

As for those who have expressed sympathy writing that they hoped he was at least warned: Hello! Didnít the article mention that a VP had to resign just a year ago for miss use of the company email? Was George so out of it that he didnít realize it probably wasnít a good idea to do the same thing?
While I agree George was a fucktard for using the company email like that and especially for offing himself, I must vehemently call for the immediate tasing of City Councilwoman Elena Guajardo for erroneously playing the race card.
Old 02-03-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I have a feeling that the racism here comes from the fact that this is a hip-hop club with an all black crowd, in a white neighborhood...the racism isnt spelled out
Old 02-03-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If it weren't for "those people", he'd be alive today.
Old 02-03-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I looked at the pictures, seems like a country-themed bar in San Antonio that has a decently percentage of very non-descript looking hispanics. Maybe the pictures are deceptive, but I would expect to see a population containing hispanics in most places in SA.

Of course the area may be an "all white" kind, and that may be the crux of the issue.

Also, maybe I just live in a more racist world than many others of you, but I know in my world when someone says "that used to be a good neighborhood" or the like, they are saying it used to be white.

Regardless, why the hard-on if this was actually racism or not? If it was racism, but a vieled type, she still should just have been a bigger person and not exerted her position in the situation.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.