Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Anybody here work for a bottling company?

Old 02-02-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody here work for a bottling company?

This is kind of a spin off of the Dr Pepper imitation drink thread, where I posted my thoughts on Pibb Zero. I live in Missouri and went to Minnesota at the end of December, and much to my dismay, could not find a single store that was selling Pibb Zero. I concluded that I lived in a test market area, so I decided to call the consumer comments number on the can and voice my support for the drink. I mentioned that I could not find the drink when I was in Minnesota and the lady on the phone said that they send the syrup for the drink to the bottling companies and the local bottling companies decide what drinks to bottle and what ones not to.

It reminded me of a call I made some years ago to RC when they dropped Cherry RC cola (which was and always will be the best tasting cherry cola there ever was) and I was fed the same line, that they send the syrup to the bottling companies, so they must be deciding to not bottle it.

Now, I just don't buy that. I couldn't believe it with RC because I could not buy the idea that they were making all this cherry cola syrup and sending it all over and the bottling companies just decided to not bottle it. What a waste that would be. And I have the same idea about Pibb Zero. I researched this online and I apparently live in a test market area, as this drink is available only in three states. When I mentioned that to the Coke consumer line, they didn't say I was in a test market area, they said they send the syrup for Pibb Zero to all the bottling companies. I very much doubt that all these bottling companies in 47 states are just flat out refusing to bottle the stuff.

So what gives? Why can't I get a straight answer out of the consumer lines for these cola companies? Is it supposed to be a secret that I am in a test market area? Figuring I was in a test market area, I thought it would be helpful to call Coke and voice my opinion about Pibb Zero, perhaps to lessen the risk of it being taken off the shelves in the future.
Old 02-02-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to work for Coca Cola Enterprises, the bottling company owned by Coke. Coke usually puts Mr. Pibb in areas where they dont have the right to bottle Dr. Pepper. In the market I worked at, we bottled Dr. Pepper, but didnt have the rights to sell the fountain syrup, so we sold Mr. Pibb syrup for fountains. Sounds like the area in MN you went to, Coke bottles Dr. Pepper, so they dont want the Pibb Zero to compete with it. Maybe check some local soda fountains and see if maybe they stock Pibb 0 there.

IIRC, RC doesnt do any botteling, so that is left up to your local bottler to choose what they want to bottle. Maybe call them up and ask them about Cherry RC. To be honest, I cant even remember the last time I saw RC at all.

Last edited by uli2000; 02-02-06 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-20-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uli2000
I used to work for Coca Cola Enterprises, the bottling company owned by Coke. Coke usually puts Mr. Pibb in areas where they dont have the right to bottle Dr. Pepper. In the market I worked at, we bottled Dr. Pepper, but didnt have the rights to sell the fountain syrup, so we sold Mr. Pibb syrup for fountains. Sounds like the area in MN you went to, Coke bottles Dr. Pepper, so they dont want the Pibb Zero to compete with it. Maybe check some local soda fountains and see if maybe they stock Pibb 0 there.

IIRC, RC doesnt do any botteling, so that is left up to your local bottler to choose what they want to bottle. Maybe call them up and ask them about Cherry RC. To be honest, I cant even remember the last time I saw RC at all.
I don't believe that is the case in that particular area. They also sell Mr. Pipp in the stores. Going out to eat, it's hard to find (as well is Dr. Pepper) but both are found in stores there.
Old 02-20-06, 11:26 PM

When I opened this thread I was expecting that you found something in a bottle of Coke and were doing the right thing and trying to do the right thing and return it but Anybody here work for a bottling company and missing a thumb? was just to long for a thread title.