Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Pretty frustrated with some female flatmates...

Old 02-01-06, 06:55 PM

Pretty frustrated with some female flatmates...

Frustrated at the moment.
Trouble with flatmates (only the women of course).

We have 3 women, and 2 men living in our flat together.
The rent we pay includes the bills for gas/electricity etc.
We have 3 fridges in the kitchen, one of which was moved from my room to the kitchen not so long ago.
Suddenly 2 female flatmates panicked about the amount of usage of electricy.

2 of these fridges are mine, I have a fridgefreezer-combo that I inherited and that I wanted to use myself, and not let others use.
The smaller one I placed in the kitchen so the others could use it so as to not moan about shelfspace for all their food etc.

The women wanted to have dinner with everyone to talk the problem of there being 3 fridges through. Poorly organised, I had to ask them if it all went through, because I could make plans with my girlfriend if not. Suddenly the women all said "yes", and proceeded to go do sports, whilst I have to sit at home and wait for them. FURIOUS about the situation I go and get groceries for myself. And wait. Then my male-flatmate doesn't show up (because nobody had told him that the meeting was still taking place), and they ask me if I could do the washing up if they'd cook. I said I had plans afterwards. But without a chance to explain myself they said they would cook for themselves, and made some harsh comments about me again. ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS about the situation I went out the house and went to my male flat-mate, and we talked about it.
Afterwards I went to my girlfriend.

I then came home. Now whilst I was not home they emptied one of the small fridges and threw all their crap in mine.

I'm about to take both my fridges, place the fridgefreezer-combo back in my room where it once was, and lend the small one to my male flatmate so he doens't have to sit through the nightmare of fighting for space and he can keep the small one in his room.

Also I'm taking my hoover, which they'll need to purchase themselves too.

All this on a war they started but can't win from me. Are these women completely looney? They're university students, but seriously how stupid can you get?
Old 02-01-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. They're looney. Sorry you have to deal with them.
Old 02-01-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

You entered the asylum and now you don't like the residents?
Old 02-01-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Black
Are these women completely looney? They're university students,
Pics?
Old 02-01-06, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
You entered the asylum and now you don't like the residents?
Actually, all current women moved in whilst I was already living here.

Anybody have any idea how much it costs to run a fridge per year? I've googled but to no avail have I found an answer.
Old 02-01-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kind of confused about this, how bad can the electricity bill be if you're already splitting it with FIVE other people?
Old 02-01-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are these women completely horney?
Oh wait...you said looney...

Unfortunately, having that many people in one house will lead to this sort of thing. It's something that you will need to deal with if you're to stay sane and maintain a level of sociability with these people.

Flat-mate politics can be extremely tricky. Once this sort of thing starts (ill will), it's very difficult to resolve peacefully.

No real advice here - it's something that you'll need to work through with the women. Just don't be surprised if someone ends up moving out sooner rather than later.
Old 02-01-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, we can't give an accurate recommendation without pics.
Old 02-01-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go down to the appliance store. They all have their projected cost per year on yellow stickers on the front. Find similar models to what you have.

I am so glad I no longer have to deal with roommates.
Old 02-01-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
I'm kind of confused about this, how bad can the electricity bill be if you're already splitting it with FIVE other people?
Often doesn't matter how much the dollar cost is. I lived in a group share arrangement and had one of the women go off at me because she thought I'd "stolen" a 59c tin of baked beans from her. She had bought them for her partner and here I was eating them (even though I explained to her that I often bought baked beans as well).

She later found out that it was her partner that had eaten them, but she still didn't apologise to me because "somehow" I was still in the wrong (I think what she preferred was that we all buy different brands of stuff to "identify" it).
Old 02-01-06, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
And it's INCLUDED in our rent.

Originally Posted by naughty jonny
Unfortunately, having that many people in one house will lead to this sort of thing. It's something that you will need to deal with if you're to stay sane and maintain a level of sociability with these people.

Flat-mate politics can be extremely tricky. Once this sort of thing starts (ill will), it's very difficult to resolve peacefully.

No real advice here - it's something that you'll need to work through with the women. Just don't be surprised if someone ends up moving out sooner rather than later.
Never had that problem before, people moved out to get to better places, or because they couldn't afford it anymore, or moved to a different city for other reasons (girlfriends etc.)

They've started this ill will. They have not tried to resolve it peacefully. They have basically started a war they cannot win. They are MY fridges, and I can do whatever I want with them.

My plan is to act like nothings happened anyway, they've avoided confrontation, maybe expecting me to just bend over and take it. Until at short notice suddenly 2 fridges will dissapear. Me and my male-flatmate have been laughing at the fact.
It was stupid of my to get angry, I've got all the cards at the moment. What they don't know is that I'm about to use them, when they're certainly not even expecting it.

I'll even have the decency to stuff as much groceries as possible into their little fridge, when there's no more space, oh well, it's not my problem anymore
Old 02-01-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And it's INCLUDED in our rent.
In that case your flatmates are clinically insane. Refrigeration space may be the least of your worries.
Old 02-01-06, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by naughty jonny
Often doesn't matter how much the dollar cost is. I lived in a group share arrangement and had one of the women go off at me because she thought I'd "stolen" a 59c tin of baked beans from her. She had bought them for her partner and here I was eating them (even though I explained to her that I often bought baked beans as well).

She later found out that it was her partner that had eaten them, but she still didn't apologise to me because "somehow" I was still in the wrong (I think what she preferred was that we all buy different brands of stuff to "identify" it).
The boyfriend of my ex-flatmate once stole popcorn from me. Not just 1 microwavebag, no all 3. He was drunk at the time, never apologised for his behaviour. It took me a long time to get her to replace it.
But I didn't go off at either one of them, only when I had not received my replacement after such a long time.
Old 02-01-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

step 1 - peacefully talk to the one bitching the most and tell her if there is a problem, you will take care of the fridges.

step 2 - do what you said, and remain cordial.

nah, forget that, its too easy. Tell them you want to take them out to dinner, then ask them if they will be FWB. Oh, and don't tell your girlfriend.
Old 02-01-06, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
In that case your flatmates are clinically insane. Refrigeration space may be the least of your worries.
It's not kitchenspace.
It's not to save the environment.

It's purely they might get a few measly euro's back if they unplug one, which will NEVER be the case because these women tend to shower at least 30 minutes long.

They're purely driven by their will, they want something, so it MUST happen.
Old 02-01-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by grrrah
I'm imagining something like this.
Old 02-01-06, 07:28 PM

step 1 - peacefully talk to the one bitching the most and tell her if there is a problem, you will take care of the fridges.

step 2 - do what you said, and remain cordial.

nah, forget that, its too easy. Tell them you want to take them out to dinner, then ask them if they will be FWB. Oh, and don't tell your girlfriend.
My reactions to your steps:

1) 2 of them are bitching, there is absolutely no point in telling them. They have gone this far already, they knew both fridges (now in use) are mine, and they did this knowing it was not what I wanted.

2) this shouldn't even be step 2, there's only 1 step, and that's doing what I'm about to do. There is simply no reasoning whatsoever with them, I know this for a fact. It's in them to force their will.
Old 02-01-06, 07:30 PM

Old 02-01-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, all current women moved in whilst I was already living here.

Anybody have any idea how much it costs to run a fridge per year? I've googled but to no avail have I found an answer.
Do you know what you pay KW/H?

This fridge says: Kilowatt Hrs. per Year: 488

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=spe#tab
Old 02-01-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Tell them to get on their bikes and never come back.
Old 02-01-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just have Begbie come over and beat the shit out of the women.
Old 02-01-06, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Do you know what you pay KW/H?

This fridge says: Kilowatt Hrs. per Year: 488

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=spe#tab
1 extra fridge costs a maximum of 85 euro's a year.
Costs 7 euro's a month.
Costs every flatmate 1,5 euro's a month.

Is that so ridiculous?
Old 02-01-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

it's time for an upper decker.
Old 02-01-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I hate flat females too.
Old 02-02-06, 07:35 AM

Could not have said it better. Women are... well the pic says it all.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.