Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Car otters: Need strut advice.

Old 01-31-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Car otters: Need strut advice.

Girlfriend took her '02 Honda Civic to the place where she bought her wheels and tires for a rotation and balance. After she picked up the car they told her that the left front strut was gone and needed to be replaced. Ticket said $150 for one strut including labor. She called later on to see when/if they can do it and they said they needed to do the right if the left was being done and also needed an alignment which was another $99.00. So the total ended up being $400. Does this sound about right? I know struts are expensive and I can live with that but if you change one do you have to or should you change the other and also perform an alignment?

thanks for any advice
Old 01-31-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The part that sticks out to me, and I know only a small amount about cars, is that any of the struts would need to be replaced on an '02 Honda Civic.
Old 01-31-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree but it does have 63,000 miles. I've heard that they needed to be replaced every 60k or so.
Old 01-31-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I agree but it does have 63,000 miles. I've heard that they needed to be replaced every 60k or so.

Can you point to any documentation of this claim?
Old 01-31-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stevevt
Can you point to any documentation of this claim?
No but 60k is what I've heard on a couple of occasions. When do they normally go out?

edit: I guess I should say how long are they normally good for?

Last edited by kantonburg; 01-31-06 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 09:08 PM

60K-80K is the recommended mileage that struts may need replacing. You could probably Google to find the reference if you want the proof, but I just know from experience. But you should only replace when necessary obviously, not just because it hits between this range.

Should you replace both? For balance purposes, usually you do. But when it comes down to it, it's your vehicle and if you believe the other one is perfectly fine and will last a while, you can choose not to replace the other. Do you feel any steering wandering? Is the strut leaking at all? Are there noises coming from the strut when you push down on the car? Do you see any abnormal wear on your tires? These are the things that "can" be a strut issue, but not necessarily, but it's nice to make sure you don't see these things anyway.

As far as price, you could find it cheaper online. But if you want a shop to do the work, usually you have to go with what they have to offer. But doesn't hurt to ask, if you brought in your own pair, would they be willing to replace with those instead.

As far as needing alignment, highly suggested. But $99 seems steep to me. I can usually get it done for $45 here on the West coast, or I do it myself. Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-06, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nero
Do you feel any steering wandering? Is the strut leaking at all? Are there noises coming from the strut when you push down on the car? Do you see any abnormal wear on your tires? These are the things that "can" be a strut issue, but not necessarily, but it's nice to make sure you don't see these things anyway.
Well when we dropped the car off for balance and rotation. They said the front were 7/32 and the rear were 9/32. Both down from 11/32. The car pulled to the left a little but that was from cold weather and the pressure being a bit low on the driver left. It had a shimmy at 65-75 mph. All of which are gone now after their work.

As for the strut neither of us ever noticed the car bobbing like a worn strut will do. No odd thud sounds coming from that end. I did press down on the driver front and let go to see how much the car bounced and it probably took one more bounce than I'd like which to me could indicate a worn strut. She's having a 2nd opinion done today just to be safe. Someone besides a franchised chain.
Old 02-01-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check and see if there is any leaking fluid from said strut.

It is typical that a strut wear out in 60k-80k miles, it is just with Hondas being built so well most people don't even notice a worn strut.

If braking and handling seem ok (as in no safety issues) and the tire wear is within normal range, I would just let it go for a while.

I rarely replace a strut on a Toyota or Honda in less than 100k miles. On a GM, Chrysler or Ford product you would be lucky to get 50k
Old 02-01-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No saturday night fever responses yet? I'm dissapointed.

D
Old 02-01-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Check and see if there is any leaking fluid from said strut.

It is typical that a strut wear out in 60k-80k miles, it is just with Hondas being built so well most people don't even notice a worn strut.

If braking and handling seem ok (as in no safety issues) and the tire wear is within normal range, I would just let it go for a while.

I rarely replace a strut on a Toyota or Honda in less than 100k miles. On a GM, Chrysler or Ford product you would be lucky to get 50k
Well the good news was that all wear on her tires were even.