Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

401K Account rebalancing - square up or let it ride?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-31-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since my company has a pretty shitty 401K, I could lose every cent and be no worse off than I am today. I don't like to lose, but it wouldn't hurt anything but my pride.

As such, I chose some moderate to high risk funds to dabble in. Now, when I flip the form over, i come to the option where I can set it to reallocate all of my assests monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or anually. WHat that means is that they will review my net worth at the specified time frame, cash everything out, and then reinvest it according to the percentages I specified on my enrollment form.

What should I do?
Old 01-31-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you are ages:
18-40: 100% equity (aggressive small/mid/large cap funds, International equity funds, etc.)

41-55: 65% equity (large caps, value funds, dividend paying funds) 35% fixed income (high grade bonds)

55-Retire: 35% equity (large caps, value funds, dividend paying funds) 65% fixed income (high grade bonds)

If you decide to reallocate, do it on a yearly basis. If it as you describe I would NOT elect to have them turn over my account. Pick your funds and forget about it for a few years.

Last edited by neiname; 01-31-06 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 04:28 PM

I have the reallocate option with my 401k. Let's say I have a breakdown like so:

40% -Fund A
30% -Fund B
20% -Fund C
10% -Fund D

Let's say that Fund C just takes off, and accounts for 40% of my worth. Why would I want them to remove that money back down to 30%? If it's doing good keep it rollin'!

Likewise if Fund B just pluments and accounts for 15%, why would I want to put more money in something thats losing?

Keep in mind I'm 26, have only had this 401k for about 2 year, don't know much about it. So that's what my opinion is worth...
Old 01-31-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Although diversification is good, reallocation involves selling winners to raise money to buy more of the losers.

I recommend that you reallocate manually based on a belief that a different mix of investments will earn a higher and/or safer rate of return going forward. Not a big proponent of "robotic" reallocation.

Last edited by OldDude; 01-31-06 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by neiname
If you are ages:
18-40: 100% equity (aggressive small/mid/large cap funds, International equity funds, etc.)

41-55: 65% equity (large caps, value funds, dividend paying funds) 35% fixed income (high grade bonds)

55-Retire: 35% equity (large caps, value funds, dividend paying funds) 65% fixed income (high grade bonds)
While that is "conventional wisdom," I consider it horribly conservative. At retirement, you reasonably have a life expectancy of 20+ years. You don't need the money all at once, and basically you are still a long term investor. I think the ideal account has a lot more equity, but well diversified equity, not all in one basket and certainly not in "Enron" (or anything like it).
Old 01-31-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by OldDude
While that is "conventional wisdom," I consider it horribly conservative. At retirement, you reasonably have a life expectancy of 20+ years. You don't need the money all at once, and basically you are still a long term investor. I think the ideal account has a lot more equity, but well diversified equity, not all in one basket and certainly not in "Enron" (or anything like it).

Good point.
Old 01-31-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I could be 200% equity in my 401(k).
Old 01-31-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That might be a little TOO leveraged.