Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Cellphone Jammers on the Way?

Old 01-31-06, 11:28 AM

Cellphone Jammers on the Way?

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadget...way-151631.php

This is a little Japanese gadget that will make living life day-to-day so much nicer. It’s a simple device with an on-button. It has two modes, one mode will disable all calls within a area for 70 seconds, the other will fade away the call with “natural atmosphere” to assist ending that call with Aunt Rita. It retails for $71 or so and should be coming to the U.S. once the FCC passes an act that allows cellphone jamming in movie theaters. Hooray!

Cell Phone Jammer [RedFerret]

While the blocking of cellphone in theaters is a good idea, I worry about someone attacking a person who is trying to call 911 and using this blocker to stop the call from going thru.

Maybe theaters could install these 'blockers' in each theater to stop the calls going thru, but individuals having these 'blockers' could create a lot of problems.

Chris
Old 01-31-06, 11:36 AM
Banned

Can't wait for the jamming to start in theaters.
Old 01-31-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seriously - after a knife and (hopefully) a condom, this would be item 3 on a rapists shopping list.

Alternately, that old "car ran out of gas so lets snuggle in the back" routine just got a whole lot more plausible if you can't call for help.
Old 01-31-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It retails for $71 or so and should be coming to the U.S. once the FCC passes an act that allows cellphone jamming in movie theaters.
There is no such act in the works.
Old 01-31-06, 11:41 AM
Admin-Thanos

I think the potential to fuck other people with this device is too strong for me to really be in favor of it. What are you going to do, put it on as you walk to work and mess up all the people around you as they are on the phone?
Old 01-31-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

VinVega

What are you going to do, put it on as you walk to work and mess up all the people around you as they are on the phone?
Yes.

das
Old 01-31-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would punch you in the mouth if I caught you using one of these around me for your entertainment.

The movie theater jammer concept is horribly stupid too. Many people in a theater are on call, are parents with a babysitter at home, etc. It's not that hard to have your phone on vibrate and walk out of the theater if you have to take a call.
Old 01-31-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

El Scorcho

I would punch you in the mouth if I caught you using one of these around me for your entertainment.
Well, then I'd just call the pol-- *shakes fist* DAMN YOU!!!

das
Old 01-31-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Well, then I'd just call the pol-- *shakes fist* DAMN YOU!!!

das
Don't worry... by mouth, he meant knee*.

*reaching waaaay back for that one
Old 01-31-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

anyone who wants one, can already buy it from overseas. if customs can't stop illegal cigs, they won't stop these

if anyone in the US is going to sell these, they are opening themselves up to a lot of legal liability
Old 01-31-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We need them install on freeway. Drivers talking on Cell while driving are much more dangerous than drunk drivers.
Old 01-31-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love the people who'd get pissed if they got jammed. How did people survive 10-15 years ago without cell phones? I'd glady purchase a jammmer for places such as a movie theater or restaurant.
Old 01-31-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can't wait until I get an important call about my mother or someone close to me being in the hospital, and just before I get the details, some jerk off uses this device.

If you don't like people talking on the phone around you then go back to 1970 and live there jackass. Welcome to present day where people use cell phones. They are not just a luxury anymore- people rely on these.

I would beat the shit out of someone if I caught them doing this.
Old 01-31-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh.. no need to attack us...
Old 01-31-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I love the people who'd get pissed if they got jammed. How did people survive 10-15 years ago without cell phones? I'd glady purchase a jammmer for places such as a movie theater or restaurant.
back then we wasted a lot of time doing things over and over again. these days i make a call or send an email on my blackberry to verify things and make sure they are only done once. Leaves me a lot of free time for myself.
Old 01-31-06, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Can't wait until I get an important call about my mother or someone close to me being in the hospital, and just before I get the details, some jerk off uses this device.

If you don't like people talking on the phone around you then go back to 1970 and live there jackass. Welcome to present day where people use cell phones. They are not just a luxury anymore- people rely on these.

I would beat the shit out of someone if I caught them doing this.
People like you will make my purchase of the jammer much more satisfying.
Old 01-31-06, 12:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
A movie theater I can understand, but why do people get bent out of shape about cell phones in restaurants? People talk all the time in restaurants. Couples on a date chatting, big groups of drunk businessmen, etc. It's odd to me that when you can only hear one side of the conversation it's suddenly sooooo annoying.

As for the 'how did people survive 10-15 years ago' argument, you might as well say 'How did people survive 100 years ago without cars, they're just noisy and pollute the air and cause thousands of deaths a year!'

I'm not trying to pick on you, it's just that I see a lot of people with this irrational hatred of cell phones and I just don't get it. (And I'm someone who probably is on my cell phone in public five minutes total per week, max. And never in a theater or other place where it would be truly disruptive.)
Old 01-31-06, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
It's not that hard to have your phone on vibrate and walk out of the theater if you have to take a call.
And I agree with that, but as most people know, there is still the ringing of cellphones during the movies. We even have this problem at church during the service. I just turn off my phone during this time.

Chris
Old 01-31-06, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRG
A movie theater I can understand, but why do people get bent out of shape about cell phones in restaurants? People talk all the time in restaurants. Couples on a date chatting, big groups of drunk businessmen, etc. It's odd to me that when you can only hear one side of the conversation it's suddenly sooooo annoying.
Because people generally talk 3 times as loud when they are on a cell.
Old 01-31-06, 12:26 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I would LOVE this kind of device. Ive seen far too many 'cellphone-drunk-drivers' that I really really want to zap.
Old 01-31-06, 12:26 PM

at all the violence in this thread!

Chris
Old 01-31-06, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I would LOVE this kind of device. Ive seen far too many 'cellphone-drunk-drivers' that I really really want to zap.
but do you realize how dangerous this would be - jam the call, the signal is lost, the driver/cell phone user gets pissed and makes the call again, thus becoming obsessed with getting the call back and not paying attention to 'driving'.
Old 01-31-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
at all the violence in this thread!

Chris

imma beat da hell oub ob whoeber mess wit my cell phone
Old 01-31-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For the people who like the cell phone jammers. I hope you don't mind me using duct tape to restrict your talking when you're near me.
Old 01-31-06, 12:49 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

A question about these devices... do they someone specifically target cell frequencies? Or do they jam all airbound signals? Could they potentially screw up GPS, wireless signals, police/emergency radios, etc.?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.