Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Installing Recessed Lighting in My Garage

Old 01-31-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Installing Recessed Lighting in My Garage

I am going to install some recessed lighting in my garage. I do remote starters and a lot of other DIY stuff in it and it's just not bright enough. Currently I have (2) 4' utility lights hanging from the ceiling but that isn't cutting it.

I was thinking of installing 9 can lights. I have a 20x20 garage and was going to put them in like a 3x3 grid.

My questions are:

1. Is 9 can lights too much / not enough?
2. What bulbs should I use? Should I use those compact flourescent ones from Sylvania??

I don't want it to be blinding when I have the lights on but I do want it to be BRIGHT!

Thanks!
Old 01-31-06, 12:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Is your garage insulated in the ceiling? If it is, make sure your can lights are air tight and labeled IC which means In Contact. That means insulation can touch the can lights (don't cover the top of it though). Second the can lights are all rated on the inside that states the maximum wattage it can handle. Third, can lights are not the most efficient way to illuminate an area. The light shines straight down in a cone pattern. Thier nice in a house but a garage where I assume you will be working, not the best use. Plus these things eat up electricity too. Nine lights should be about right. I recommend using a cieling fixture that spreads the light out versus the cans but thats just a contractors opinion. Good luck. By the way if you are at anytime uncomfortable running the lights call your electrician.
Old 01-31-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What kind of light fixture do you suggest?? Thanks for the reply by the way...
Old 01-31-06, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by themovieguru
Is your garage insulated in the ceiling? If it is, make sure your can lights are air tight and labeled IC which means In Contact. That means insulation can touch the can lights (don't cover the top of it though). Second the can lights are all rated on the inside that states the maximum wattage it can handle. Third, can lights are not the most efficient way to illuminate an area. The light shines straight down in a cone pattern. Thier nice in a house but a garage where I assume you will be working, not the best use. Plus these things eat up electricity too. Nine lights should be about right. I recommend using a cieling fixture that spreads the light out versus the cans but thats just a contractors opinion. Good luck. By the way if you are at anytime uncomfortable running the lights call your electrician.
IC actually means "insulated ceiling"
Old 01-31-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yea. Thanks for reminding me. My garage is not insulated and I have access into it.
Old 01-31-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
IC actually means "insulated ceiling"
Actually, I've also seen it mean "Insulation Contact" or "Insulation Cover".

My wife wants like 6 in the living room (3 per light switch probably). All I have at this point is a double light switch to operate the ceiling fan, and the lights for the fan separately. I don't want to lose the use of a fan. So probably the ideal situation is to ADD two more light switches for the cans. I think installing each one would be like $100.

What do you charge, Heimer? I'll supply pizza and beer and be your designated driver to/from 6th street.
Old 01-31-06, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Actually, I've also seen it mean "Insulation Contact" or "Insulation Cover".

My wife wants like 6 in the living room (3 per light switch probably). All I have at this point is a double light switch to operate the ceiling fan, and the lights for the fan separately. I don't want to lose the use of a fan. So probably the ideal situation is to ADD two more light switches for the cans. I think installing each one would be like $100.

What do you charge, Heimer? I'll supply pizza and beer and be your designated driver to/from 6th street.
That sounds like a DEAL! BTW, do you have an instant messenger other than Yahoo?
Old 01-31-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
That sounds like a DEAL! BTW, do you have an instant messenger other than Yahoo?
You know... You don't get $100 each AND a pizza, right?

I updated my chatty stuff...
Old 01-31-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

how many toppings?
Old 01-31-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
how many toppings?
Up to 5. No anchovies, though.

6 if you properly predict what GOOG will close at tomorrow....
Old 02-01-06, 06:27 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Around here I have always heard IC refered to as In Contact.
Old 02-01-06, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since I have access to the attic should I get "new construction" cans if I go recessed?
Old 02-08-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I'm going ahead with the 9 6" recessed lights.. What type of wire will I need? 12/2? 12/3? 14/2? 14/3?

Thanks
Old 02-08-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would assume 14/3 and you ground the cans.
Old 02-08-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I lit the hell out of my garage by putting two 2-tube fluorescent fixtures on either side of the garage, above and parallel to where the cars are parked and then lit my workbench at the end of the garage with a smaller fluorescent light.

It's like daylight in there, and took about an hour and a half to do.
Old 02-08-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How man watts to those pull tho? So you have 4 2' lights right?
Old 02-08-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd recommend the ones with 4 foot tubes. They are 40 w per tube, so 2 tubes = 80 w, plus a few watts for the ballast, less than 100w per fixture and a lot of light.
Old 02-08-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldDude
I'd recommend the ones with 4 foot tubes. They are 40 w per tube, so 2 tubes = 80 w, plus a few watts for the ballast, less than 100w per fixture and a lot of light.
Yup, that's what I've got going in mine. Works great.
Old 02-13-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just bought two 96" fluorescent strip lights from Lowe's.. Got a question.. It's a S-HO Series cold weather version offered for high-output: model S296HO.

The only "HO" bulbs Lowes had were 110W bulbs.. I didn't get them because I really didn't want to pull 440 W just by having my lights on.. I ended up getting some 65W bulbs but I don't know if that's OK because they aren't the "HO" bulbs. Anyone know?
Old 02-13-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure. The ballast is designed to work with particular bulbs. I don't think it will blow up or anything, but it may not work as well.
Old 02-13-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, this thread isn't about recessed lighting anymore?

Did you get yours in Joel???
Old 02-13-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm.. 440 watts sounds like A LOT. I mean.. My current lighting (2) 4' utility lights flicker when I startup my saws.. I'm just wondering if having that many if I will blow a fuse when I run a saw, shop vac, etc..
Old 02-13-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hope.. They talked me out of it..
Old 02-13-06, 03:37 PM

So, this thread isn't about recessed lighting anymore?

Did you get yours in Joel???
I didn't even start. Instead, I made a quick trip up to Alamo Village 4 on Saturday night, and have no memory at all of what occurred the weekend before.
Old 02-14-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So OldDude.. Let me ask you this.. This is slightly off topic but definately related..

My fuse box is maxed out.. I even have two or three piggy back breakers installed. If I wanted to get a new box just for my garage what would that all entail?

Thanks oh wise one..

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.