Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Old people: (25+) Are you always sore if you work out regularly?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-30-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah... I'm 28 and I feel like an old man.

I decided to get off my butt for the first time in years (pretty much since college) and start a regular workout pattern, 3 times a week or so. I've been good about sticking to it and am over a month now.

Obviously after the first few times I was deathly sore since I was working muscles that hadn't been pushed for a while. That severity subsided, but I'm still quite sore the day after a run and light weights and I'm wondering if my body will condition itself to the extent that I won't be this sore any more, or if it's just a part of life now... feeling this way the day after a workout.

I make a point of stretching every day and obviously that helps a little, but in highschool I would never be this sore when I was on a regular exercise regiment.

The good news is, the popping in my joints seems to have disappeared, but man... I'm stinkin' sore! I know there are people my age that are in good shape and not sore after a workout. But maybe that's because they stayed in shape all along and didn't get to a low point like I did. Is there coming back from this or am I essentially an old man from here on out?

My exercise basically consists of running on the treadmill, pushups, crunches, some back exercises that I learned in PT a while back, and some free weights for shoulders / arms.

I know the soreness has to do with the fact that I keep increasing my reps and changing things up a little, but I used to be able to do that without any extended period of soreness the next day.
Old 01-30-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<-----ancient 34 year old

I feel much better when I swim, walk or ride my exercise bike regularly. It takes a while, like several weeks, to get used to it but it will get better in time. Just keep up with it.

You might also try some calcium and potassium supplements. That will help with your muscles and electrolytes and make you feel better. Make sure you drink plenty of water, too.
Old 01-30-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At first....yes. After a couple weeks of steady working out.....nope. I'm getting back into a daily work out routine, so i'll let you know if I can move after this next week or so.

-p
Old 01-30-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I started working out last year at age 38 (cardio and weights) and have the opposite problem...I don't get sore. I even posted to a fitness website wondering if I wasn't working out hard enough. The gurus there said that you really shouldn't be sore, so I stopped worrying about it.

I realize that is no help.
Old 01-30-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kitty also reccomends a nice 26 hour pain marathon in the delivery room to really build up your stamina and pain threshold.

think your sore now? ..... just you wait ...
Old 01-30-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am 34.

I used to get sore when I started to exercise again. I still get the "twitchy muscles" effect after I use the treadmill for more than 30 minutes and do strenght training, but I am rarely painfully sore now.

My bro used to get really sore from the gym but he started to take zinc supplements and it stopped.
Old 01-30-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you probably should be sore for the first couple weeks of working out, then after that the muscle memory kicks in and you shouldn't feel sore. If you keep increasing the weight and reps, maybe a little soreness, or when you try new workouts that work other muscles that aren't used to working. You've been at it a month and you said soreness has gone down a lot, so keep going and see if it keeps going down. If not, stop increasing weights for a while and work on form.

If you take a couple weeks off (which eventually you will), don't rush into the same workouts when you get back. build up your training over 1-2 weeks again.
Old 01-30-06, 12:18 PM

I workout all the time, not a lot of soreness. Although, after my marathon I could barely walk.
Old 01-30-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Definitely stretch for a while before working out. Anything less than 10 minutes and you're rushing it. Even if you don't plan to use that muscle (arms on a day you run) it's good to keep you more flexible for the next time you do use it.
Old 01-30-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, while I do stretch, I think that increasing my flexibility would help a lot. Just getting ready to exercise and actually increasing flexibility are two different things. And I've certainly lost a ton of overall flexibility over the years.
Old 01-30-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm 35 (25 is old now? Yikes!). I don't "work out" as in with those weight thingies... Tried that a few times and it bored me to death. But, when I'm doing my regular exercise routine in the spring, summer and fall, I usually mountain bike 12-15 miles a day. 5 days a week and I'll toss in some crunches, push-ups, etc about 3 or 4 days a week. The soreness goes away in a week or so. During the winter though, I usually get lazy and gain a few pounds. Gyms don't interest me, I need to be outside to enjoy the activity.
Old 01-30-06, 12:32 PM

Try to not to stretch cold muscles. Minimize your stretching before working out (a little is okay, especially if you warm up first), but do stretch afterwards.
Old 01-30-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I pop motrin before I work out/play volleyball. Helps ease the pain.
Old 01-30-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 40, so I'm old enough to remember Jane Fonda telling her aerobics acolytes to "Feel the burn." LOL However, I have a friend who's a phys ed major, and she says that if you're getting sore you're overdoing it, and to alternate every other day the areas you are working so that they have a day to "rest."

But then, my idea of exercise these days is a good brisk chat. So what do I know?
Old 01-30-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

26 here. My pattern is 3 months of lifting (5-6 times a week) 2-3 months where I don't work out at all. I never have any soreness when I start lifting regularly.
Old 01-30-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

34 and back in my day we broke rocks all day long, and we liked it fine!

Actually, it depends on the lift. I don't get sore from bench, or most anything that has to do with upper body, but I go pretty crazy on my calves and they are sore typically.
Old 01-30-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by skiblet
Kitty also reccomends a nice 26 hour pain marathon in the delivery room to really build up your stamina and pain threshold.

think your sore now? ..... just you wait ...

Yup. Worked for me.
Old 01-30-06, 01:41 PM

always

particularily my left ankle.
Old 01-30-06, 01:42 PM

I don't get sore from my daily half hour workout, but I do from tuesday night pickup (full-court) basketball. I used to play b-ball almost every day back in my late teens, but I haven't really played much for the last 7 years (I'm 28 now).

The surprising thing for me when I started playing again a few months back was that I was in pretty good shape cardio-wise from my workouts, so I wasn't having trouble running around for two hours. The next day is when my legs are sore and I limp down the steps when I get up in the morning. I think I'll stretch afterwards tomorrow night and see how that helps.
Old 01-30-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i am disappointed if i dont get sore. i feel like i didnt push myself hard enough.
Old 01-30-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

31 and work out about 5-6 days a week. I have my sore days and not sore days. I work out pretty hard though and always trying to do something different. Like right now, worked out early this AM and my legs are killing me. But I also did Kettlebells and lunges on a smith rack followed by 30 mins of interval spinning and its a little hard to stand right now, and I have to go do a training in 15mins ...
Old 01-30-06, 02:17 PM

I'm 28 and I workout 5 days a week 30 minutes to an hour with weights (all strength training) and 2 days of cardio as soon as I wake up on Saturdays and Sundays. I'm almost always sore and in fact I thought that if you're not sore, you didn't do enough at least for gaining size. Now mind you this isn't the kind of sore where it hurts to even move but for me it would hurt to flex the muscles.

Its funny, most people stretch before they lift but they don't do five minutes (at least) of warmup like fast walking/jogging/running. I find that's more important than the pre excercise stretch, plus it helps you do warm stretching if you do that. I always stretch after my workouts and it has made a difference in my flexibility.
Old 01-30-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I was worried when I wouldnt get sore, but then read up that it means nothing...so I dont sweat it anymore
Old 01-30-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't work out regularly, but every time, it feels like I have to throw up after about a half hour
Old 01-30-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My current regiment is a mixture of cardio and weights every other day or so... I start with brief stretching, then the treadmill for 20-40 minutes, then pushups, crunches and weights. Never two days in a row so my body has some recovery time. A workout generally lasts 40-60 minutes depending on how long I run for. I run at a higher intensity if it's the 20 minute run. My goal is to go 5 miles on the treadmill in a single session before October. So I can pace myself at a fairly slow growth rate.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.