Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Changing your sleeping pattern/amount of sleep

Old 01-30-06, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Changing your sleeping pattern/amount of sleep

Any advice on changing your sleeping pattern? Currently I sleep 6-8 hours a night during the week but would like to get that down to 5-6 hours.
Old 01-30-06, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally, I'd like to swap with you. I sleep 3-4 hrs, and would like to bump it up to 6-7.
How do I not get any sleep? I work at night and live in an apartment.
Old 01-30-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Stay up later. Get up when your alarm goes off.

das
Old 01-30-06, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If your body needs sleep, it needs sleep. I find I can get by on 5-6 hours when I have too, but I would much prefer 7 or8.

They've done studies showing how much worse off you are when you dont' get enough sleep.

Any particular reason for hte change, or "just because"?
Old 01-30-06, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went from 8-9 on average (hey, I'm a college student) to 5 or 6. I'm dying.
Old 01-30-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am a walking corpse if i dont get at least 7-8 hours of sleep, i dont know how people can survive on 3-4 a night. You should not ignore your bodies need for sleep.
Old 01-30-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You can't do it.
Old 01-30-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been trying to get MORE sleep but I find it really, really hard to go to bed earlier than midnight. If you are tired, your body needs the rest, don't fight it.
Old 01-30-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want to do an experiment, get up earlier if you're a morning person or stay up later if you're a night person. I'd go for 30 minutes or an hour less sleep each week. Your body will let you know when you're not getting enough sleep.

But before you reach the disaster point, you'll probably notice that you aren't as mentally sharp as you usually are. Keep pushing it and you'll probably start doing really stupid things. When I went to a different shift a couple of years ago, I was doing things like running red lights. But I didn't have a choice, because it was my job. You need to decide how much mental acuity you are willing to lose.
Old 01-30-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get about 10 hours of sleep per night but it's almost always in shifts, thanks to the kids.
Old 01-30-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want to cut down on the amount of sleep you get, start eating less and exercising more.
Old 01-30-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana
If you want to cut down on the amount of sleep you get, start eating less and exercising more.
... When I did this, I started sleeping more...
Old 01-30-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
The reason I suggested this is that sometimes, it speeds up your metabolism a bit so that you need less sleep. I guess it doesn't work with everybody.
Old 01-30-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by skiblet
I am a walking corpse if i dont get at least 7-8 hours of sleep, i dont know how people can survive on 3-4 a night. You should not ignore your bodies need for sleep.
Ditto for all.

Of course, everyone is different, but studies have shown the average person should get at least 7 hours sleep. Just curious as to why you want to get it down to 5-6 hours? If there's no real reason for it, you should stick with the amount of sleep you get now.
Old 01-30-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
If you are out of shape, I think sleeping more would be natural at first since your body will essentially go into shock and need to self-rehab. You wouldn't notice a positive change until it was a well-established pattern of exercise and your metabolism has a chance to change. Was that the case, or did you have a long-term exercise pattern and still need more sleep?

I'm curious myself since I just started working out about a month ago and am looking forward to the positive changes I've always heard about.
Old 01-30-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well Day 1 of getting less sleep hasn't been going too well...

I slept through the alarm/turned off the alarm/my wife turned off the alarm and didn't tell me (Don't know which of the three)

When I got to work, 2 hours late, I went to throw some receipts/gum wrappers in the trash and ended up throwing out my badge so I had to stick my hand in and pull it out.

Then I realize that one of my wife's cats jumped up on the bathroom counter and peed on the sleeve of my undershirt so now all I smell is cat piss.

EDITED TO ADD: For those that have asked I just want to be able to fit in more house cleaning, poker, and relaxation in my day. I wake up at 5 and am at work until 4:30. Then I come home and watch my kid until 8:30 when I put him to bed.

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 01-30-06 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-30-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Then I realize that one of my wife's cats jumped up on the bathroom counter and peed on the sleeve of my undershirt so now all I smell is cat piss.
That always happens on day 1 of an adjusted sleep pattern. I suggest putting your shirts in a drawer and your shoes in the fridge at night until you reach at least day 7. Catpissundershirtitis is shared by 3/4 of adults that undersleep.
Old 01-30-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana
I would agree with this, however more detail.

Eat less meat and empty carbs (refined sugar), eat more veggies and fruit.

Exercise moderate cardio 30-45 minutes a day (brisk walk or bike ride or a swim)

When I was eating better and exercising like I stated above 5 days a week, I only slept about 6 hours a night. My body just wouldn't sleep more unless I overdid the exercise. There is a balance that you will have to find that works for you or maybe you just can't it depends on too many factors.
Old 01-30-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
If you are out of shape, I think sleeping more would be natural at first since your body will essentially go into shock and need to self-rehab. You wouldn't notice a positive change until it was a well-established pattern of exercise and your metabolism has a chance to change. Was that the case, or did you have a long-term exercise pattern and still need more sleep?

I'm curious myself since I just started working out about a month ago and am looking forward to the positive changes I've always heard about.
Well Ive always had trouble sleeping, light sleeper, anxious, etc...But when I started working out a year ago, and basically havent had a week since where I didnt workout at least 5 times a week, my sleeping has been great. Its not that Im exhausted, eventhough at times I can be. Its just I sleep so much better now and get more of it.
Old 01-30-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Here are two ways to do it. I don't sleep well, but these will work if you have a schedule that allows it.

1) Sleep 2 hours, three times a day. It takes a week to get use to it, but it works.
2) Sleep about 6 hours a night 5 days a week, and sleep 10 hours a night on the weekends.

Keep in mind that more studies are showing that there are health problems associated with not getting enough sleep and being well rested. Option #1 will leave you very well rested. It is actually quite amazing, but you need a schedule that will work with it.

For quite some time I was sleeping from 7pm to 9 pm and again from 4 am to 6 am. That's only about 4 hours, and it sucked hard. Fortunately, that is over.
Old 01-30-06, 07:25 PM

The only way I know of to do this is to figure out your sleeping patterns. You have different levels of sleep, the two extremes being rem and a deep sleep. You cycle through these levels several times while sleeping. So, if after sleeping 4hrs you happen to be in rem and wake up, you'll feel alert and rested. But, if in 4.5hrs you're in deep sleep and wake up you'll be very groggy and tired despite actually having more sleep. I don't really know the 'best' way of figuring out sleep patterns (I could look through some of my old text books to find out average lengths of the cycle etc if I remember) but what I would do is just progressivly set your alarm clock earlier and earlier. Make sure you're going to bed at the same time each night. If you wake up (or sleep through your alarm) and you're groggy, keep setting the alarm earlier until you get your alarm to coincide w/ your rem cycle.

Hope that came out correct =]
Old 01-30-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually only get 4-5 hours a night. It's tough.
Old 01-30-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe I sleep too much. I need 9-10 hours. Sometimes I can get by with only 8.

As far as changing your sleep patterns. Start going to bed earlier in 15 minute increments. If you normally go to bed at midnight, then day one you would go to bed at 11:45, day two 11:30 etc...
Old 01-30-06, 11:19 PM

with lurking around DVDTalk all the time - I haven't got a lot of sleep
Old 01-31-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find it harder to go to bed before midnight, too. I work out four or five times a week, so I'm usually fairly tired at night. But for whatever reason, I just don't go to bed. I hate myself in the morning for not getting enough sleep, but my patterns still don't change.

Last night, I tried to go to sleep around 11; probably fell asleep around midnight. I woke up at two, thinking it was time to get up. Then my mom woke me up at FOUR in the MORNING because she didn't know how to open a saved file in Word. Christ. So despite a total of probably seven or eight hours of sleep, I felt like crap when it was time to get up.