Old 01-28-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Breast Milk For Sale

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/paren...ilk/index.html

http://radioball.net/index.php/2005/...milk-for-sale/

Not your mother's breast milk
By Elizabeth Cohen
CNN

In our Behind the Scenes series, CNN correspondents share their experiences in covering news.

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- One of my first assignments for CNN was to profile a young mother who was part of a government program encouraging women to breast-feed their babies.

We arrived at her home in Mississippi, and she started to breast-feed for our cameras. The baby looked to be about 6 months old. I remembered that on the phone, she'd said her child was 6 weeks old.

"Did I misunderstand?" I asked. "Oh no," she answered. "My baby's sleeping. I don't want to wake her up, so I'll just nurse my sister's baby." (Watch how mothers find others' breast milk -- 4:34)

Nurse her sister's baby? I was stunned. Apparently she did this quite often.

That's one reason, 14 years later, I was so intrigued when I heard about a new movement of women nursing each other's babies and sharing pumped breast milk.

Many of these women meet over the Internet, where Web sites such as craigslist.org and parent chat groups have made it easier for mothers to reach each other.

The practice is so prevalent that craigslist and La Leche League told my producer that they and many other Web sites regularly pull these postings out of fear of running afoul of some state laws against selling any bodily fluids.

I traveled to the Boston suburbs, Pittsburgh, upstate New York, and Lakeville, Minnesota to meet some of these women.

When Jenn Connell set up her Web site, feedmybaby.com, she never dreamed she'd get the response she did. Connell couldn't breast-feed her two sons -- she'd lost her breasts to cancer, but through the site found 35 women to donate milk -- most sharing pumped milk and a handful actually nursing her sons on occasion.

Cathy Lundgren has found six women to donate pumped breast milk to her baby, Hannah, whom she adopted from Guatemala. Her main supplier has been Jacqui Gilstrap, who shipped frozen milk to Lundgren in Lakeville, Minnesota, from her home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I also met Kelley Faulkner, who lives outside Boston and who can't produce much breast milk on her own because of breast surgery she had years ago. Faulkner has found 20 women to donate pumped milk to her son, Loren.

Most of the women I met take great precautions when entering a milk-sharing agreement, having their donor moms fill out a health questionnaire, and requiring lab work showing they'd tested negative for diseases like HIV and hepatitis.

But the American Academy of Pediatrics and the La Leche League, an international parent group devoted to breast-feeding, frown upon this kind of milk sharing. They point out that even if someone tests negative for a disease, they could contract it after the testing while still supplying milk to the baby.

Yet, experts, and even formula makers, agree that breast milk is best and not everyone can produce enough of it.

It's the only perfect food for babies. It has antibodies and other properties that infant formula can't copy.

Study after study shows that breast-fed babies have all sorts of health advantages, such as fewer ear infections, a lower risk of developing asthma, and even higher IQ's.

The mothers I met were determined to find breast milk for their babies when they themselves were not, for whatever reason, able to lactate.

There's no way to know how many women participate in milk sharing, but just do a little Web surfing and you'll find many trying to donate, sell, or acquire someone else's breast milk -- and that doesn't even count the women quietly in their own homes nursing each others babies or giving pumped breast milk to a friend.

This milk-sharing movement, is to a large extent, powered by the Internet, where people can meet total strangers with amazing speed. It's gotten extra momentum from recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Even formula companies recommend breastfeeding instead.

But it's also copying something that existed long before cyberspace. For time immemorial, women have nursed their sisters' babies, or hired wet nurses.

So perhaps I shouldn't have been stunned when I met that mother in Mississippi 14 years ago.

Years after that meeting, when I had my own children, shared nursing actually made a lot more sense. It's not always easy to be the sole provider of nutrition to a baby, and imagine the convenience of having someone you trust to help provide your baby with the perfect beverage.
--------------------------------------

I'll have to pick up a cople quarts next time I run low. I wonder if there's an expiration date?

Last edited by Jack Straw; 01-28-06 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-28-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Smells like money, to me.
Old 01-28-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's better than drinking OPB.
Old 01-28-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I'll have to pick up a cople quarts next time I run low. I wonder if there's an expiration date?
Just drink straight from the tap....that with ensure it is fresh!

Here is a guy who can appreciate fresh breast milk:
Old 01-28-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It better be cambodian breast milk I only drink the finest breast milks.
Old 01-28-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

pics?
Old 01-28-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While this CNN news story above doesn't cover it in depth, I was watching CNN and they aired the same story with a slant of selling your breast milk to others over the internet, sometimes to buyers thousands of miles away. Yet one more marvel that the internet has helped create, breast milk delivered to your doorstep from strangers thousands of miles away. One can only hope that it came from humans.
Old 01-28-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Giggity giggity
Old 01-28-06, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
While this CNN news story above doesn't cover it in depth, I was watching CNN and they aired the same story with a slant of selling your breast milk to others over the internet, sometimes to buyers thousands of miles away. Yet one more marvel that the internet has helped create, breast milk delivered to your doorstep from strangers thousands of miles away. One can only hope that it came from humans.
As opposed to "formula", which comes from corn syrup, soybean oil, chemicals, and cows tits.

If for some reason I was not able to nurse my baby, I would certainly seek donor human milk as opposed to artificial infant milk, which is basically junk food, and and is severely lacking as a tiny baby's sole source of nutrition.

I hate how the media usually spins it like feeding your baby human milk is somehow "weird", rather than the normal way to feed a baby.

According to the World Health Organization, here is the order of preferance for baby food:
1) Breastmilk from nursing
2) Expressed breastmilk from mother
3) Expressed breastmilk from another woman
4) Formula

Yet the media always acts like women who try and do the best for their babies are odd. What a culture we live in.

Last edited by Jadzia; 01-28-06 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-29-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Breastfeeding has well documented health benefits for infants, but "sharing" breastmilk has the potential to transmit diseases like HIV and Hepatitis B.

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/faq/
"What can happen if someone else's breast milk is given to another child?
HIV and other serious infectious diseases can be transmitted through breast milk. However, the risk of infection from a single bottle of breast milk, even if the mother is HIV positive, is extremely small. For women who do not have HIV or other serious infectious diseases, there is little risk to the child who receives her breast milk. See Diseases and Conditions for more information."
Old 01-29-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
As opposed to "formula", which comes from corn syrup, soybean oil, chemicals, and cows tits.

If for some reason I was not able to nurse my baby, I would certainly seek donor human milk as opposed to artificial infant milk, which is basically junk food, and and is severely lacking as a tiny baby's sole source of nutrition.

I hate how the media usually spins it like feeding your baby human milk is somehow "weird", rather than the normal way to feed a baby.

According to the World Health Organization, here is the order of preferance for baby food:
1) Breastmilk from nursing
2) Expressed breastmilk from mother
3) Expressed breastmilk from another woman
4) Formula

Yet the media always acts like women who try and do the best for their babies are odd. What a culture we live in.
I'm sorrry you weren't able to nurse but at least you tried and did what was best for you and your baby. I nursed both my boys, my youngest until he was 15 months old. I had way too much milk for him and often had to pump off extra. I wish I would have been able to sell it off! I would have made some serious cash.
Old 01-29-06, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by covenant
It better be cambodian breast milk I only drink the finest breast milks.
, heheh i just re-watched that episode today.

Old 01-29-06, 03:33 AM

Call me crazy, but I'll feed my kid some bottled stuff if my wife's not around. People don't always tell you if they're into drugs or anything. Even if formula isn't rated as high as another women's boob nectar, I'll do what I think is best for my children.

Note: I have no kids or a serious gf.
Old 01-29-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We'd happily feed our daughter formula over another woman's breast-milk.
Old 01-29-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are just so many comments I want to make, but I'm pretty sure that any one of them will send this thread right over to the Adult forum.
Old 01-29-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it cheaper if I extract the milk out from the donor's breast myself
Old 01-29-06, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
I'm sorrry you weren't able to nurse but at least you tried and did what was best for you and your baby. I nursed both my boys, my youngest until he was 15 months old. I had way too much milk for him and often had to pump off extra. I wish I would have been able to sell it off! I would have made some serious cash.
Oh, thankfully I was able to nurse, in fact, I still am nursing my 17-month old.

I was just saying that if I wasn't able to I would have done like that article said and sought a donor.

I would donate milk to another mama who needed it if I could, but I seem to make the perfect amount my son needs and I have never been able to pump that much extra.
Old 01-30-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've known about this group for years.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/
Old 01-30-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've known about this group for years.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/
They're a bit militant.
Old 01-30-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nazgul
They're a bit militant.

aaaannndd your point iiiiiisssss.....
Old 01-30-06, 10:37 AM

They're a bit militant.

I doubt you have ever been to a meeting.
Old 01-30-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt you have ever been to a meeting.
. There was no need to go. The lady 'advising' my wife @ the hospital did a pretty good job of making her feel like crap when we decided to go with just formula.

I tire of the attitude that if you're not breast feeding, you're short-changing your baby. Some women can't produce any or enough to properly feed a baby and the idea of buying some stranger's milk is insane.
Old 01-30-06, 12:42 PM

I tire of the attitude that if you're not breast feeding, you're short-changing your baby.
It's not an "attitude". It's a fact of nature, backed up by mountains of research.

I find it strange that people will spend umpteen hours researching the right car seat or stroller, but give almost no thought to how they feed their baby.

Yes, a small amount of women truly have issues that can interfere with successful breastfeeding. Most issues can be worked through with the right support, which is what LLL provides (free of charge at that).

But deciding while you're still at the hospital to "just go with formula" sounds like breastfeeding was never even attempted.

The formula companies have obviously done a good job at convincing people that their merchandise is somehow just as good, if so many people choose that without even trying to breastfeed. I guess anything to make people shell out $25 a can for something that they can make better for free. How sad for the babies who miss out on those valuable immunities and nutrients, in addition to the sheer comfort of being nursed. But when someone who has no monetary gain shares these facts, it somehow makes you feel like "crap"? I'd be more pissed off at the greedy formula companies for selling such misinformation than at a volunteer who was genuinely trying to help you and your baby.

We do need to move away from the notion that "breast is best" because it somehow leaves the impression that it is a "plus" or "extra". Breast isn't the best; it is the biological norm. Formula is inferior. It was invented to keep certain babies from starving, but now it is over-used due to the shameless marketing tactics of the formula industry. There are other countries, where formula is available by prescription only.

I am tired of the noton that if you encourage or support breastfeeding you are somehow militant. Or you get accused of making others feel guilty. No other person make you feel guilt. Guilt occurs when your actions conflict with your values. If you are truly confident about formula-feeding, no one else could make you feel guilty about your choice.
Old 01-30-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not an "attitude". It's a fact of nature, backed up by mountains of research.

Yes, a small amount of women truly have issues that can interfere with successful breastfeeding. Most issues can be worked through with the right support, which is what LLL provides (free of charge at that).

But deciding while you're still at the hospital to "just go with formula" sounds like breastfeeding was never even attempted.
While I somewhat agree with the first statement, the rest is pure hogwash.