Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Ebay Question - Please Help

Old 01-26-06, 09:52 PM

Ebay Question - Please Help

I have shipped at least 500 packages since working Ebay. I have never run across this situation.

I always give the buyer the option to have tracking. However, it costs .50 more. Everything is alway shipped priority mail. Never has there been a problem with someone receiving a package.

I just recently sent a package out a day after receiving payment through paypal. I never received an email or feedback from the person, supposing everythings alright.

Now there is a complaint filed with Paypal saying that the package has not been received. It's been a week and a half. Paypal states that if I cannot provide tracking info. she will receive a full refund. That means I'm out the dvd set, the cost of the dvd set, and two shipping costs . . . as well as all the fees and the difference in cost (I sold if for less than I paid). I end up losing a whopping $60 for a stinking $32 dvd set!

For all I know, she's sitting at home watching it right now, knowing that I cannot prove that she received it! The post office only tells me that I can file for an investigation (but the lady told me that usually goes nowhere).

She has a bunch of feedback and has some negative feedback associated with her not shipping in time or others not receiving packages from her. Anyway, has anyone else had a problem like this? What did you do?

I've emailed PayPal . . . waiting for their response.
Old 01-26-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're screwed. Always get tracking if you use Paypal. I think you can do it for free or cheap if you print it out at home, but I always just pay.
Old 01-26-06, 10:03 PM

Ditto. You're screwed. Build tracking into the cost of your shipping, use it with every package. Tracking is for your safety.
Old 01-26-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

brother, you are screwed. a similar thing happened to me. i could provide reams of proof offering tracking and the buyer declining on multiple occasions. no tracking info = no merchandise shipped in the eyes of paypal.
Old 01-26-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Priority Mail had a tracking number on it. Delivery confirmation is what costs extra.

I've been luckier than I probably deserve on ebay. I thought I was going to get into the same situation with a CD box set sent to Italy, but the guy eventually got it (after a month).
Old 01-26-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you buy priority mail postage online or from the automated machine in the post office, then the DC is free.

I had encountered situations where a package I sent was lost in the mail. Some packages didn't have DC and others do DC. But in all cases, I end up absorbing the cost of the lost package either by shipping the person another copy or by refunding. It's really not the buyers fault that the post office was flaky.
Old 01-26-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Priority mail comes with tracking, there should be some way to retrieve the number if you have a receipt or anything tied to the purchase I would think.

And the other posters are right, tracking is for your benefit, not theirs. Either build it into the price...OR...still offer it as an option, but buy tracking regardless if they buy it or not.
Old 01-26-06, 11:39 PM

One thing's for sure . . . from now on, EVERYTHING WILL BE TRACKED. What a lesson.
Old 01-26-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm. I've had no problems but maybe I'll start doing the tracking/dc just to be safe.
Old 01-26-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't have to send *everything* with delivery confirmation, normally I only use it on sales more than $10 or so.

Just use the person's feedback as a gauge, if there are any red flags (like the negatives this lady had) use delivery confirmation.

Any chance that you've not left feedback yet?
Old 01-26-06, 11:55 PM

I did leave positive feedback as soon as she paid. Watch me refund her money and then she leave me negative feedback. Probably borrowing trouble. I don't trust this buyer . . . as you can tell. She doesn't answer emails either. I've asked three times if she's received the package . . . NO RESPONSE!
Old 01-26-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never leave feedback until the buyer does-otherwise they have more leverage to complain and try to scam some cash back on the item.

But her negs were from people buying from her?
Old 01-27-06, 12:00 AM

Yup . . . complaining that they didn't receive the packages . . . or that the packages were damaged . . . or that it wasn't what they bid on
Old 01-27-06, 12:14 AM

These are actual word for word comments from her feedback:

Paid 11/15. Seller sent after 12/8. Rec. 12/24. Horrible eBayer. Buyer beware!

far FROM mint condition. figure missing, decals missing, literal trash in box!!!
Reply: Item was never stated in mint or even near mint condition.Buyer got a good deal!

TERRIBLE! Paypal'd immed; had to threaten w/Paypal to get shipped 1 MONTH later!
Reply: I SHIPPED ITEM AS STATED IN THE AUCTION WITH 2-9 DAY SHIP.Item was delivered !

ordered item 23 days ago, still not here!!!!!!! No contact...no email..Bad sale!
Reply: I SHIPPED ITEM AS STATED IN THE AUCTION WITH 2-9 DAY SHIP.Item was delivered !

have not recieved item. Have not had reply to my emails.

Comic was TRASHED; seller: "not my problem"& wont refund or answer my polite ?s

Advertised as "SIGNED by Kevin Smith", sent UNSIGNED one & said no others left!!

Does this sound like an honest person to you all?!
Old 01-27-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No it does not.

What's their feedback numbers?
Old 01-27-06, 12:56 AM

To be honest - Quite High . . . most all positive. That's why I wasn't concerned.
Old 01-27-06, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I once sold a rare video for $80... the auction ended on Thursday, he payed that night and I mailed it out Friday and he filed a complaint to get his money back with paypal on Saturday saying he didn't get his item. I called paypal many times and even tho anyone with a brain could see that he was ripping me off, without a tracking number I was screwed. Paypal always sides with the buyer. I now always get a tracking number for any item over $25 dollars.
Old 01-27-06, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Heat
You don't have to send *everything* with delivery confirmation, normally I only use it on sales more than $10 or so.
So basically, you're ok with getting ripped off it's not over $10.

OP, I'm sure you already know now, but read this.
Old 01-27-06, 12:20 PM

Response from PayPal:

Hello my name is Jared, I will be happy to assist you with your
question
regarding a buyer complaint.

If you do not have a tracking number we can not award you the claim
unless
the buyer let us know they received it. You need to purchase tracking
for
everything you send.

Thank you for being part of the PayPal community.

Community satisfaction and your experience with PayPal are very
important
to me. You may receive a survey from our third party vendor, Benchmark
Portal, about the service you received.

I would appreciate any feedback that you can provide.

Sincerely,
Jared
PayPal Resolution Services
PayPal, an eBay Company

Can you imagine someone saying this to your face:

Hello, my name is Jared.

I will be happy to bend you over . . .

For you should know that you must always pay someone else to watch and make sure the person you hired to do a service is actually doing that service. If not, you silly man, the thieves that might or might not have received your products and services must always get paid by you for the products and services you have conscientiously sent.

Thank you so much for being a part of our community. I have very much enjoyed bending you over. Grabbing your wallet and taking your cash from you was of the utmost pleasure. I will make sure your hard earned money gets safely to your special friend.

Of course, the small fees we charge for this are well worth it. You will be receiving an interview from a nice hairybacked toothless gentleman from our friends at Bendyour Portal. Please make sure you give him a glowing report, for we know how much you have enjoyed this wonderful screw job.

Last edited by jwerner; 01-27-06 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

stop and think about it for a minute. Why should paypal protect or believe you? You can't prove she got it, and she says she didn't. Are they supposed to look at your GREAT feedback, and her good feedback, and say "oh, he's the one telling the truth." Paypal really has no choice, because as the sender of the item you are the lowest cost avoider. In other words for just a few cents you could have avoided the problem altogether, whereas the buyer can't really do anything.
Old 01-27-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since most ebay sellers rape you on shipping charges to increase their profit, if they can't pony up the few cents for tracking then too bad.
Old 01-27-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
stop and think about it for a minute. Why should paypal protect or believe you? You can't prove she got it, and she says she didn't. Are they supposed to look at your GREAT feedback, and her good feedback, and say "oh, he's the one telling the truth." Paypal really has no choice, because as the sender of the item you are the lowest cost avoider. In other words for just a few cents you could have avoided the problem altogether, whereas the buyer can't really do anything.
Old 01-27-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always gone by a post office receipt to the correct zip code was proof enough but apparently I'm wrong.

One woman told Mrs. Pusser she shipped something but we didn't get it. Mrs. P asked for a copy of the receipt and she would drop the matter. The woman said the post office she went to didn't give out receipts.

She got a refund from PayPal and the woman was quiet pissed.
Old 01-27-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I do all my Priority Mail shipping online, which includes a tracking number for free that is emailed to the recipient and to myself.

Never had a problem, but I always have the number if I need it.
Old 01-27-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

there is nothing you can do without the delivery confirmation (which others have said is free online when you pay for Priority Mail using paypal). There is NO tracking only confirmation of delivery. It is clearly stated on the paypal website what their seller "protection" policy is, so you must follow it to the tee to get any semblence of protection. Even if you do, the buyer can still do a chargeback if they paid via credit card. It is just a fact of life if you accept paypal and credit cards.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your experience but really, if you accept paypal, you must follow their rules and even then, sometimes, it doesn't work out well when you do.