Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How hard is it to install a bike rack on to your car?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-26-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've decided that this year, come income tax time, I'm going to be using the money to put 4 new tires on my Camry, and then buying a mountain bike/rack so I can start hitting up the trails in order to keep on my New Year's resolution to keep some weight off.

I have a 2000 Camry, and it has a sunroof, so I'd have to add one of the trunk style ones. How hard is it to do, and are there any brands you recommend over others?

While we're at it, any good "beginner" brands of mountain bikes to look at?
Old 01-26-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Concerning the bike rack: the one I use connects to my trunk lid with four straps....easy on - easy off. Looks like this:

beginner brands?
All brands have entry level models to try out. Go to your local bike store and make sure you get one that fits. You'll never ride a bike that's uncomfortable.
Old 01-26-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, so there isn't any kind of drilling involved,a nd when I bring the bike inside, it just comes right off? thats excellent.
Old 01-26-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

T-Ball - Unless you don't give a rats ass about your car's paint job I would not get a model of bike rack that just connects to the trunk with 4 straps. You will eventually dent and or scratch up the trunk area of the car.

The **BEST** way to go IMO is to install a trailer hitch (not hard to do at all on a 2000 Camry) and then get a bike rack that will connect into the hitch.

I will post some links in a little bit so you can see cost and what I am talking about.
Old 01-26-06, 12:44 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I've got a moonroof on my car and a rack for bikes, no reason to stop it going up there. I like it too, means I can check the bikes are still there.

Gary Fisher make some really nice bikes Alan. Trek own them so its mostly the same bike just a different brand name and a little cheaper.

I don't like the rear racks, the bikes are less stable, and can get scratched pretty easy. Also depending on the rack, its hard to get some of the Full Supsension mountain bikes on them.

My friend has one for his 4Runner, a Yakima, and my MTB won't fit on it.
Old 01-26-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG
The **BEST** way to go IMO is to install a trailer hitch (not hard to do at all on a 2000 Camry) and then get a bike rack that will connect into the hitch.
Old 01-26-06, 12:51 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

the camry's did not come with the appropriate rack mounts in the roof for 2001 which is suck..

So you are stuck with this, or liek 4krg said the hitch mounted rack. I still prefer bikes on the roof though.

Old 01-26-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use the "4-straps" style rack, and it works fine, no dents/paint missing... the big thing is to stay off the interstate or high speed traveling, so it'll stay steady. I drive a Miata, so there's not much choice about a roof rack
Old 01-26-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
T-Ball - Unless you don't give a rats ass about your car's paint job I would not get a model of bike rack that just connects to the trunk with 4 straps. You will eventually dent and or scratch up the trunk area of the car.
I've been using one for 5 years with no problems. Maybe it's an OE problem.
Old 01-26-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a fan of Yakima roof mounts, but their trunk and hitch mounts seem to be good too.

Regarding the bike, like others have said, fit is the most important thing. Any reputable bike shop should be able to find one in your price range that will work for you.
Old 01-26-06, 01:23 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

How's the Orbea dave? We just got the mrs a Volata, low end, but came with Campy, so its pretty nice. First ride for her on it this weekend.
Old 01-26-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by covenant
I've been using one for 5 years with no problems. Maybe it's an OE problem.
I bet if I saw your car I could point it out. Some people care a little more about taking care of their stuff than others do.

I also have about a $5000 custom made mountain bike that I don't want messed up unless I bounce off a rock and fall 20 feet with it

I have been carying bikes on my cars since 1987, the hitch mount is truly the ultimate way to go. I have issue with all the trunk and roof mounts I have owned (including the $500 + Yakima system I once bought and later sold)

Here is a link to the hitch for 2000 camry

http://www.etrailer.com/productdetai...rfrom=2000&h=e

If you have a friend help you hold it up and you can work a rachet to drive in 4 bolts, you can put it on.

Here is a list of bike racks that go on it.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/me...gory_Code=BRFF

also, this place has some good racks http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=4411

edited to add my reason for not liking roof racks. To me mountain biking most likely means mud. I can't wash my bike off prior to putting it on the car, therefore, all the mud and little rocks and sand and other shit that sticks to the bike during a good ride will often times fall down on the roof of the car as you drive it home. It bothered me, so I got rid of the roof rack. I also didn't like the noise of the wind with the rack and the bike when doing 70mph on the highway. With the hitch mount you have none of that.

Last edited by 4KRG; 01-26-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-26-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with BDB, I prefer roof racks, much more secure attachment (but don't pull into the garage!!!). Thule and Yakima are the 2 standard companies, either is fine (and attachments from either company work for the other).

Both of their systems are modular, so you buy the towers, the bars, and whatever attachments you need. They are pricey, but it's just a fixed cost, and once you have the towers and bars you can add on. I.e., you start with one bike tray, then can buy another, then can buy a ski rack, or a cargo box, etc etc etc. They have decent resale value too on places like craigs list if you decide to sell the system.

Edit: Hitch mounts are also good if you buy a good one. The worst choice is the trunk mount carrier, but hey, they work too...
Old 01-26-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'll have to go see about installing a hitch, as I currently dont' have one. I'm not very good with tools and such though, this could be dangerous.