Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How to not shrink clothes?

Old 01-25-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How to not shrink clothes?

I seem to have a real problem with my clothes shrinking when I use the dryer. Is there some secret way of doing this where my clothes won't shrink? I know most of you will say to hang dry my clothes, but that is not practical since I have no where to hang them in the basement, and it is very cold outside. Even if I could hang them outside I wouldn't really want to do that if I could avoid it.

I have tried changing the settings on the dryer to medium, and low, but it doesn't seem to help. Should I change anything else? I even tried buying my clothes larger hoping they will shrink to the perfect size, but it never seems to work out. This really sucks because I love having a little bit of room when I wear hoodies, but I end up pulling on my sleeves because they feel too short. The only thing that seems to shrink perfectly are jeans. Dress pants, dress shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters all seem to get the same problem. I just end up rolling up my sleeves half the time to hide what happened. Please help me out otters.
Old 01-25-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

don't dry it all the way... its a lose/lose situation, just depends on how much you want to give up.
Old 01-25-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't want to shrink, don't machine dry.

Hang them to dry in the bathroom.
Old 01-25-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lose weight every time you dry your clothes.
Old 01-25-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

try air dry may need to do multiple trips depending on the size.
Old 01-25-06, 08:26 PM

For t-shirts, I usually wash cold and then dry half-way, removing and hang drying on a rack in my laundry room. Best if you stick with "garment washed" or pre-shrunk tees and hoodies, otherwise shrinkage is inevitable. Some clothes there's no avoiding it no matter what you do. While I've never had a Gap or Eddie Bauer item shrink on me, Nike tees and sweatshirts always skrink to like half their original size.

For dress and casual dress shirts and pants, I ALWAYS dry clean. Haven't had an item shrink on me yet.
Old 01-25-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I buy oversize shirts. After a couple of washings, they usually fit. It's not a great system. There are still shirts that don't shrink to fit, or shrink too far.
Old 01-25-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I buy oversize shirts. After a couple of washings, they usually fit. It's not a great system. There are still shirts that don't shrink to fit, or shrink too far.
Either that, or the most obvious, don't wash them at all.
Old 01-25-06, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to drape my t-shirts over anything in the house that wouldn't mildew, but then I got one of these:

and it makes life much easier.
Old 01-25-06, 08:53 PM

I was at a high-end department store during the past holiday season and I overheard this conversation between a little old lady and the sales associate.

Her son in law was in town for the holidays and his luggage was lost by the airlines. She wanted to buy a package of 100% cotton white undershirts, but was unsure of what size to buy, a medium or a large. She was not familiar with that particular brand.

The sales associate told her to wash the undershirts and hang dry for the first couple of times and that this would prevent shrinkage in the future when you put them in the dryer (low setting).

I have never tried it and didn't think of it again until I read this thread...YMMV
Old 01-25-06, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I probably should just get one of those rack things pictured above. The only problem is that I my laundry accumulate to such a degree that I would end up needing 5 of them to fit all the clothes I need to dry. I'm going to have to start washing clothes more frequently. I definitely don't want to be paying every week to get my work clothes dry cleaned so I'll pick one of those up and see how it works.

My Gap hoodie did shrink.
Old 01-25-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I used to drape my t-shirts over anything in the house that wouldn't mildew, but then I got one of these:

and it makes life much easier.
How much does that hold, and what is the name for it? I'm looking everywhere, but all I can find is stuff that can hold 2 or 3 items at the most.
Old 01-25-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found it using froogle.com as a dryer rack (which is what I've always called it, so I guess that works). I see 'em now and then at stores that have home-type stuff - usually 10 to 12 bucks.

editing to add: to DeepSleep's comment - that sales associate was full of dung. I've accidentally tossed a shirt into the dryer that I've always hung-dry and it shrunk like it was new.

Last edited by Bronkster; 01-25-06 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
How much does that hold, and what is the name for it? I'm looking everywhere, but all I can find is stuff that can hold 2 or 3 items at the most.

It doesn't hold much weight, but it's convenient as hell. Folds away as well. Bought mine at Target for around $10.

ETA: It's a bitch to put together.
Old 01-26-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What ever you do, dont get pissed, say watching the Yankees hit a home run in the bottom of the 10th to go the WS and throw the thing...It will break into a million little pieces. Trust me on that one.