Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Housewarming party?

Old 01-25-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Housewarming party?

We just got a new place a couple months ago, and now that things are getting in order, the question of a housewarming thing comes back to mind. I was asked by a friend a month ago if we were having one, and actually it had never crossed my mind. Why do people have "house warming parties"?

But anyway, if we are, my questions is what do you do? Do you make and serve food? Munchies? Just hang around and talk? Play music or have the TV on? Just what is this odd ritual about?

Okay, enough rambling.. any thoughts?
Old 01-25-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reverie
1 - Why do people have "house warming parties"?

2 - my questions is what do you do?

3 - Do you make and serve food?

4 - Munchies?

5 - Just hang around and talk?

6 - Play music or have the TV on?

7 - Just what is this odd ritual about?

Okay, enough rambling.. any thoughts?
1 - For some people, it's all about showing off, for others, just a way to get friends over for a good time.

2 - Try and relax and visit with everyone - same as any other party.

3 - Sure, if you want to.

4 - An easier option than question 3.

5 - See question 2.

6 - Your call. usually just some usic playing low key.

7 - See question 1.
Old 01-25-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats on the new digs. A housewarming party is a fun way to show off your new place. Basically it's an open house type of thing. Put out some hors d'oeuvres and drinks and you're cool.

People usually bring gifts to a housewarming, the traditional gift being a loaf of bread and a carton of salt. (But nobody will bring that unless they're a wonk like me.) But don't go all bridal-registry and start telling people what to buy, it looks bad.
Old 01-25-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

wonk?
Old 01-25-06, 10:06 AM
Banned

Here's my opinion on the matter:

DON'T call it a "housewarming" party. Then people will buy you gifts.

[Rant] Why the hell should your friends and family buy you gifts just because you bought a house? I hate that crap. If you are buying a house, it means you are doing rather well and you don't need people to buy you things just like they did when you got married. [/Rant]
Old 01-25-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been to housewarming parties at apartments.....

Now I feel gyped.....
Old 01-25-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
wonk?
wonk ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wngk)
n. Slang
1. A student who studies excessively; a grind.
2. One who studies an issue or a topic thoroughly or excessively: “leading a talkathon of policy wonks in a methodical effort to build consensus for his programs” (Michael Kranish).

Or, in other words, a person who knows that the traditional gift for a housewarming is bread and salt.
Old 01-25-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Green Jello

That was my thought.. I don't want people coming over with the thought of having to buy a gift or whatever, but that was what I thought of when "housewarming" was brought up. Coming over and hanging out is perfectly fine with me.
Old 01-25-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WONK

Old 01-25-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's WONK-n-STEEN.
Old 01-25-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

[Rant] Why the hell should your friends and family buy you gifts just because you bought a house? I hate that crap. If you are buying a house, it means you are doing rather well and you don't need people to buy you things just like they did when you got married. [/Rant]
Screw that! After buying a house, I'll be tapped out and I'll take all the freebies I can get!

I am going to have one in early march. It'll just be my friends coming over for some drinks and maybe some dinner. Should be a good time.
Old 01-25-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a housewarming party once. I ended up with 37 loaves of stale bread and 18 pounds of salt. NEVER AGAIN!
Old 01-25-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Congrats on the new digs.
Thank you. Now if you come over I'll be expecting my bread and salt!
Old 01-25-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I had a housewarming party once. I ended up with 37 loaves of stale bread and 18 pounds of salt. NEVER AGAIN!
Ha! Numanoid's friends are a bunch of WONKS!!!!
Old 01-25-06, 10:21 AM
Banned

I'm just soooooo sick of all these events that we are "supposed" to buy people gifts for.

You graduate high school and people are supposed to give you money.
You graduate college and people are supposed to give you money.
You get engaged and people are supposed to buy you a gift.
You get married and people are supposed to buy you a gift.
You buy a house and people are supposed to buy you a gift.
You have a baby....

ARRRRRGH!!

And then on top of that people are supposed to buy you gifts every time 365 days pass since you were born.

Last edited by Green Jello; 01-25-06 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got back from a staff meeting. Now where the hell's my gift?
Old 01-25-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It really depends on what type of friends you have. This may be overboard to some, but it's been a good way to go for me.

The best houswarming parties that I have thrown or have been "Stock-the Bar" parties. I have thrown them three separate times, always with a good reception by the guests, and it takes the guesswork out of gifts.

I mail out invitations (not e-vites....people take the theme less to heart). The invitations ask the guests to bring either one bottle of liquor or two bottles of wine, and that hors d'oeuvres and beer will be provided. Be certain to provide hours, or else your friends might think it's an all night kegger, or may show up too early. 8-12 works.

Anyway. Plan a menu of four or five nice appetizers (not cocktail weenies). I usually do one seafood (crab dip or chilled shrimp), a fancy homemade salsa or guac dip, a meat appetizer, a veggie appetizer, and a veggie and cheese plate. Also, be sure to stock up on plenty of coke, 7-up, juices, olives, tonic, soda, etc....and get plenty of wine and martini glasses. World Market has decent ones for a buck.

I invite my two favorite couples over for dinner at 5:30 or 6:00, then have them help put together the appetizers and put the final touches together. This ensures that your first arrival guests for the party will not feel awkward that it's just you and them standing in the livingroom, gives a full night of entertainment for your best friends, and gets you some free, fun labor to get the place ready (just be sure they don't have to do any cleaning....the party is for them as well).

When I first heard of this idea, I thought people might be offended that they had to bring bottles to the party. But if you call it "Stock the Bar", then I think it takes away some of the stress. It has been very typical for people to bring a very expensive bottle of liquor for you to hide, then another regular bottle for the party itself.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-06, 11:04 AM
Banned

A couple tips.

Hide your valuables, people are theives
Check the bathroom after each guest uses it, in case someone decides it would be funny to drop an upperdecker in your bathroom. An upperdecker is when someone drops a deuce in the toilet tank rather than in the bowl. Not fun
Old 01-25-06, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flee
A couple tips.

Check the bathroom after each guest uses it, in case someone decides it would be funny to drop an upperdecker in your bathroom. An upperdecker is when someone drops a deuce in the toilet tank rather than in the bowl. Not fun
You must have really nice friends flee.
Old 01-25-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm just soooooo sick of all these events that we are "supposed" to buy people gifts for.

You graduate high school and people are supposed to give you money.
You graduate college and people are supposed to give you money.
You get engaged and people are supposed to buy you a gift.
You get married and people are supposed to buy you a gift.
You buy a house and people are supposed to buy you a gift.
You have a baby....

ARRRRRGH!!

And then on top of that people are supposed to buy you gifts every time 365 days pass since you were born.
You must either have friends that think your cheap or no friends at all.
Old 01-25-06, 11:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
You must either have friends that think your cheap or no friends at all.
I'm not at all cheap. That has nothing to do with it. I just hate the idea of it. I hate that just because someone (not a close friend) invited me to a party, means that I have to go shopping.

And I'm not a hypocrite either. When I have my "housewarming" party, I told all my friends that anyone showing up with a gift would not be allowed in.
Old 01-25-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flee
A couple tips.

This is apparently a non-wonk's idea of 'bringing a gift' to your house.
Old 01-25-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not at all cheap. That has nothing to do with it. I just hate the idea of it. I hate that just because someone (not a close friend) invited me to a party, means that I have to go shopping.

And I'm not a hypocrite either. When I have my "housewarming" party, I told all my friends that anyone showing up with a gift would not be allowed in.
The general idea of gift giving at parties is based around the concept of reimbursing the host for the approximate dollar value of what you're shelling out to entertain them for an evening. Hence, a dinner party where they may have spent $10 or $15 on your meal generally gets a nice bottle of wine. A wedding reception that probably costs them more like $100 or more per person calls for a larger gift. In Japan, wedding reception guests are expected to bring a cash gift of $300. Not coincidentally, the standard Japanese wedding reception meal costs $300 per guest. The point is, the host is putting in the work and providing a meeting place, the gift helps offset the monetary loss.
Old 01-25-06, 11:33 AM
Banned

The general idea of gift giving at parties is based around the concept of reimbursing the host for the approximate dollar value of what you're shelling out to entertain them for an evening. Hence, a dinner party where they may have spent $10 or $15 on your meal generally gets a nice bottle of wine. A wedding reception that probably costs them more like $100 or more per person calls for a larger gift. In Japan, wedding reception guests are expected to bring a cash gift of $300. Not coincidentally, the standard Japanese wedding reception meal costs $300 per guest. The point is, the host is putting in the work and providing a meeting place, the gift helps offset the monetary loss.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I've just always had the concept that if I'm throwing a party, the guests are my guests and shouldn't have to do or bring anything. I hate even asking someone to bring ice.
Old 01-25-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Which is why it's easier not to entertain at all. Doesn't cost anybody anything. Course, it's kinda boring.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.