Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever call in sick but end up feeling better in time and still not go?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics
View Poll Results: Call out sick, then feel better and still stay home?
Yes-I'd stay home
54.29%
No-I'd go to work
2.86%
I call out sick even when I'm not so that would be a yes
31.43%
I never call out sick
11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well have ya?

A friend and I'd been awake about two minutes. My voice sounded like a frog and was awful.

So after I hung up I called work to tell them I was sick. But after moving around for 15 minutes and having some food I felt okay.

What to do? I figured by then I shouldn't go back on my word so I just stayed home.

Wrong or right?
Old 01-17-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's wrong but fun. Sometimes you just need the day.
Old 01-17-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just go in and tell them your interview finished early.
Old 01-17-06, 05:31 PM

There have been a couple of times I have felt awful at night and made up my mind to call in the next day. By the next morning I feel fine, but since my mind was already set I call in. I look at it this way... if I felt that bad my body needs the time to rest, and going to work may mean that I leave early feeling worse or feeling worse the next night.
Old 01-17-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yeah, I would start feeling better as soon as I hung up the phone after calling in, but I'd still stay home. Hey, I made the call, screw it, I'm stayin home.

In a reverse situation, Mrs. L. was very sick last week but decided to attempt to tough it out and go to work. She was halfway there when she realized she had made an awful mistake. So she drove home and made the sick call(s). She would have been better off chosing to stay home right from the beginning. I think she was initially afraid of the 'feeling better after calling in' syndrom occuring.
Old 01-17-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually just stay home in those circumstances and get some rest. One job i had I went in sometimes really sick, so the managers would see how sick i was, send me home, and feel good about it so they knew I was really sick, and i got kudos for "being a trooper" and coming in anyway. Gave me some weight for future call-ins.
Old 01-17-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I rarely call in "sick". I usually call in sick...of work. If I stay home sick, I'll just end up sitting around doing nothing, but if I go to work sick maybe I can sweat it off.
Old 01-17-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm rarely sick when I do call out so I say stay home and enjoy the extra day off.
Old 01-17-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nah, I only call in sick when I'm really sick, so this isn't usually an issue. I'd imagine that if I did feel better quickly after calling in sick that I'd probaby just go in to the office.

We only have PTO, so no separate sick time. My threshold for calling in sick would no doubt be lowered if I had separate sick time in addition to normal vacation accrual.
Old 01-17-06, 07:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I know a lot of chuckelheads who will call in sick, then have a change of heart and come back to work later that day.
Old 01-17-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say that it depends on what type of job you have / what is going on at the office that day. If they can get by without you for the day, and you've already called in when you legitimately felt ill, it's cool in my opinion. If things are busy at work and your absence causes your co-workers a lot of extra work, then I think it's no good.