Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

They're now logging your personal information when you buy Tylenol Cold...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-17-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My four-year-old had a mild cold all weekend. I went to Target last night to buy some children's cold medicine.

I'm aware of the recent government regulatory mania around pseudoephidrine and I was prepared to have some sort of hassle in buying cold medicine. I have found the replacement drug (the one in Sudafed PE) is simply not as effective or as long lasting at traditional pseudoephidrine so I deliberately chose Children's Tylenol Cold with it knowing I was going to have a little trouble getting it. I took the card to the pharmacy window and waited in line.

When I gave the card to the pharmacist, she asked for my ID. Thinking that she wanted to verify my age (I'm bald and the age limit is only 18, but what the hell), I handed it over.

She spent ten minutes typing in ALL of my personal information: name, address, everything on my license. I was shocked that she did this without explaining what she was typing. I asked and was (fairly rudely) told that it was a new state requirement. She then had me sign a statement attesting to the fact that the information I'd provided was accurate... for A FRIGGEN FOUR OZ BOTTLE OF CHILDREN'S COLD MEDICINE.

When I got home, I hit the web and found that my genius of a state attorney general signed this brilliant plan into law yesterday. From now on, in IL, you'll only be able to purchase one item with pseudoephidrine every 24 hours. One box of cold medicine, one bottle or infant's cold medicine etc. To ensure that this is happening, each time you buy the drug, your name is registered in a central database that law enforcement will have easy access to. In fact, they deliberately trumpeted the fact that law enforcement will have unfettered access to the data in today's press conference.

How dumb is this plan:

1. It's ridiculously invasive of my civil rights. I had my personal information logged like I was a criminal. Increasingly, I'm being asked to produce my ID at all times, a practice I'm starting to be fearful of. This is the most ridiculous example yet.
2. The zero-tolerance aspect of it. A professional meth-cooker is not going to buy one small bottle of children's tylenol. I can understand it if I was buying 27 bottles of nasal decongestant, but one bottle of highly diluted kids stuff?
3. The outrageous restriction of only being able to buy one product every 24 hours. As any parent knows, when one kid gets sick, everyone gets sick. Depending on the household, you'll need medicine for adults, children, infants etc.
4. Anyone with a fake ID could easily game this system. It's not going to work.

The whole thing smacks of law enforcement incompetence and out-of-control legislators. Nobody in the legislature wants to be the elected official who votes against improving drug law enforcement. Also, the police would love to have personal information on everyone's whereabouts at all times, it would make their job so much easier. I hate to sound like one of those civil libertarian blowhards, but this crap has got to end.
Old 01-17-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

4 seems to be the most valid arguement to me.
Old 01-17-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, in fact wait until you want to buy that medicine at 2AM and the pharmacy (but not store) closes at 9PM. You won't be able to buy it.

I was traveling in Colorado and needed some cough syrup. Everything was locked up and not to be sold when the pharmacists were not in. Up until that point, I'd never heard of such a law.

Also, how does this affect online sales? I can go to drugstore.com and buy 32 bottles of anything and I'm willing to bet they won't question it.
Old 01-17-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blame the meth addicts.
Old 01-17-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As someone who occassionally enjoys a shard of black Iowa ice sprinkled with Molly to keep me movin', I have to say I am disappointed.
Old 01-17-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mopower
Blame the meth addicts.
I understand the idea of making it difficult to purchase a large amount of pseudoephidrine. If I was buying a large amount of cold medicine, I'd happily put up with the new measures.

I don't understand having to have my personal information logged into a law enforcement database to purchase a small bottle of kids medicine. It reminds me of when they outlawed tweezers on airplanes: regulatory overkill taken to ridiculous levels.
Old 01-17-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blame the meth addicts.
Nope. I blame the government AND the meth addicts/dealers/producers.

Without the WOD, this wouldn't even be an issue.
Old 01-17-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's been like this in Indiana for a while, though even more incompetent as (where I 've been), the information is kept in a written log iinstead of the computer.
Old 01-17-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You want to know how effective this will be?

The logs are only by store. The article I read said that there is no state-wide database. There is a Walgreens or CVS on every block by my house, and none of them would know if you just came from a different one.

Waste of time.
Old 01-17-06, 08:40 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Nobody's taking to Hiro11 to task for giving meth ingredients to a four-year old?
Old 01-17-06, 08:45 AM

I've had beer delivered with orders from Safeway.com and Albertsons.com, and they never asked for a signature (other than receipt of the order). I once bought some Nyquil, and they had to have me sign for that on a separate form.

I agree, it's ridiculous. The only thing it does is raise the profit the wholesalers get when they sell the meth cooks 5 cases.
Old 01-17-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nevermind
You want to know how effective this will be?

The logs are only by store. The article I read said that there is no state-wide database. There is a Walgreens or CVS on every block by my house, and none of them would know if you just came from a different one.

Waste of time.
Actually I think both of these companies RX computers are all joined together. When you pull someones info up it gives everything, even if you're visiting from out of state.

The people something like this is supposed to stop aren't buying these products though. They steal them. These type of products are heavily shoplifted. Lots of stores now keep them behind some type of counter, usually in the pharmacy.
Old 01-17-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
What a dumbass-bumfuck-no-common-sense-allowed-here-stupidtard-law.
Old 01-17-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Laws are designed to inconvenience the law-abiding. This is new?
Old 01-17-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
1. It's ridiculously invasive of my civil rights. I had my personal information logged like I was a criminal. Increasingly, I'm being asked to produce my ID at all times, a practice I'm starting to be fearful of. This is the most ridiculous example yet.
Personally I think you're blowing it way out of the water. First off I'm sure it didn't take 10 minutes to type info from her license. I call people out on this all the time so don't take it personal. People have a habit of exaggerating. Second. The whole civil rights...phulllease. You'd be the same person bitching if there were a meth problem in your neighborhood and wondering why the "law enforcement" wasn't doing anything about it. Be glad your state AG is at least trying. As far as producing your ID. I can agree with you there but it's the nature of the world. Take care of your identity and check it often. Its all you can do. Don't get so upset about it. It's not like they're trying to make it inconvenient for you. I'm sure the pharmacy is just as upset having to log all this info for some cold medicine. Get used to it. Normal citizens have to pay for what a few cheat to get. It's a way of life.
Old 01-17-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I'm suprised Target doesn't just buy a scanner to scan the bar code off your drivers license.
Old 01-17-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Actually, I'm suprised Target doesn't just buy a scanner to scan the bar code off your drivers license.
I didn't know those things were available to private companies.
Old 01-17-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Instead of thinking of your petty inconvenience, you should be thinking about the children! The government of your state needs to track your purchasing habits so they can keep meth out of the hands of innocent 4-year-olds!

The world has changed. It's a lot more dangerous than it was a couple of decades ago. It's for your own good. Fnord.
Old 01-17-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read something somewhere once about aspirin being far more effective than cold medicines. Ah yes, it was in a book about simplifying your life. Claimed that a couple aspirin could replace most of the stuff in the medicine cabinet.

Standing in the lines is a big inconvenience for me when I just want some Claritin-D. Knowing that I have to do this know for Tylenol Cold makes me wish I had stocked up. My time is precious to me. I'd rather spend it reading this forum than standing in line around sick people who can spread even more viruses to me!
Old 01-17-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kantonburg
Personally I think you're blowing it way out of the water. First off I'm sure it didn't take 10 minutes to type info from her license. I call people out on this all the time so don't take it personal. People have a habit of exaggerating. Second. The whole civil rights...phulllease. You'd be the same person bitching if there were a meth problem in your neighborhood and wondering why the "law enforcement" wasn't doing anything about it. Be glad your state AG is at least trying. As far as producing your ID. I can agree with you there but it's the nature of the world. Take care of your identity and check it often. Its all you can do. Don't get so upset about it. It's not like they're trying to make it inconvenient for you. I'm sure the pharmacy is just as upset having to log all this info for some cold medicine. Get used to it. Normal citizens have to pay for what a few cheat to get. It's a way of life.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but it sounds like you're putting words in my mouth. As I said, I'm not against trying to reduce meth production and I'm not against putting up with a little inconveinience to get pseudoephidrine. I also don't fault Target or their employees, I understand the position they're in and was extremely polite to the pharmacist.

What I do have a problem with is having my personal information put into an unrestricted central database that doesn't require a subpeona for use by law enforcment when I buy one box of Children's Tylenol. They don't require people to do that when they buy (as some examples) deadly poison at Home Depot, explosive nitrate fertilizer (as used in Oklahoma City) let alone cases of Everclear or any other potentially dangerous or addictive substances that you can buy anywhere. It's the total lack of proportionality that bothers me.

Also, it's especially irksome that they've done it with a process that causes maximum inconvinience for the average customer while being extremely easy to game for the pro meth cooker.

It's just a dumb, dumb law.
Old 01-17-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
I didn't know those things were available to private companies.

Everytime I buy beer they run my DL thru the scanner to see if I'm of age. This is in pretty small grocery store.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I sounded offending I didn't mean to. My apologies. I guess I'm used to having to pay for what a very select few does here at work. It just seems it rolls over into life. It does suck either way.
DVD Talk Hero

so it's OK to keep records of people buying prescription drugs, but not OTC?
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
Nope. I blame the government AND the meth addicts/dealers/producers.

Without the WOD, this wouldn't even be an issue.
Naw, I think the blame is squarely on the meth heads.
Old 01-17-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Naw, I think the blame is squarely on the meth heads.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.