Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

They're now logging your personal information when you buy Tylenol Cold...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

They're now logging your personal information when you buy Tylenol Cold...

Old 01-17-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't you realize how many lives this is saving? When those addicts can't get an easy fix, they'll surely give up their addiction simply out of convenience. The children will be saved! (Well, except for the sick ones, but that's a small price to pay.)
Old 01-17-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Hiro11,

You have absolutely every right to be irritated. If this was a proven way to prevent Meth use, then I am sure we'd be all more willing to go along without protest. But when these types of laws are just outright retarded, it's no wonder people like you and I are getting frustrated. All this shows is how NOT IN TOUCH our political leaders are.

All this is, is extra paperwork, more ways to get your ID stolen and used by a rogue employee, and more opportunities for a database to get hacked.

There is absolutely no evidence to show this reduces meth crimes. All it proves is that ordinary citizens are inconvenienced in another aspect of their life, while a meth criminal will simply break-in to a store and steal the damn stuff if they have to, use fake ID--thereby INCREASING IDENTITY THEFT IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD, and making deals with the store employees or even the owner (like in one I know about in NE Portland).
Old 01-17-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
There is absolutely no evidence to show this reduces meth crimes.
I saw on the news last week that after Kansas encated these types of meth laws, the number of meth lab busts did go down.

Go figure.
Old 01-17-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...more ways to get your ID stolen and used by a rogue employee...
Yeah...because most pharmacies will hire just about anybody to work for them.
Old 01-17-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I'm just going to go out on a limb here and add this to the List of Reason to Not Have Children. It violates my privacy, those contagious little things!

Bwahahaha! Victory is mine!
Old 01-17-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Believe it or not, you can make a respectful income and still be a criminal. Yeah, I know, it sounds crazy. Only dem poor GED peoplez been criminanals.
Old 01-17-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mosquitobite
Nope. I blame the government AND the meth addicts/dealers/producers.

Without the WOD, this wouldn't even be an issue.
If we decided to make all drugs legal, I would have no problem with any of it, except if they included meth. Legalize it all, and I would still favor nearly any means of deterring meth.
Old 01-17-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And following your lead, I can see it now:

MANDATORY ID FOR V-POWER

MANDATORY ID FOR ALKALINE BATTERIES

MANDATORY ID FOR CAMPING STOVE FUEL

MANDATORY ID FOR BUYING AIR CONDITIONERS (because it has FREON in it)

Gotta stop dah meth, bro meigns!

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-17-06 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

So long as you track the medicine, you don't need to worry about the other stuff.
Old 01-17-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kinda like: so long as you track the bullets, you don't need to worry about the guns?

We already have indications our friends from Mexico and now Asians from up north, who are beginning to take advantage of the newly-found untapped black market of OTC and prescriptions. Believe me, addicts are not like normal people. They just don't say, "Oh. Uhhh. I have to show you ID? Hmmm. Alrighty then! My habit is over! Yayyyy!"
Old 01-17-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When we all are sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, have stuffy heads AND fever so we can't rest....

the terrorists have won.
Old 01-17-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kinda like: so long as you track the bullets, you don't need to worry about the guns?

We already have indications our friends from Mexico and now Asians from up north, who are beginning to take advantage of the newly-found untapped black market of OTC and prescriptions. Believe me, addicts are not like normal people. They just don't say, "Oh. Uhhh. I have to show you ID? Hmmm. Alrighty then! My habit is over! Yayyyy!"

Ya you're right. The government shouldn't really do anything to prevent it. Free meth for everyone!!
Old 01-17-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
The obvious answer is to make pseudoephedrine a prescription medication. But, the companies that make and sell it are fighting that tooth and nail. So, legislators that want to "do something" come up with this kind of useless stuff.
Old 01-17-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

If we were dealing with a higher end drug like cocaine or heroine, I would agree. The meth people around here that have been busted are uneducated, unmotivated, etc. They may try to steal what they need, but if they can't get it, they tend to move on. And the reason they track this isn't so they know who you are, it is so they know who is buying unusually large quantities.

Again, any other drug, legalize it and I could care less. But with meth, I don't even care if it is just symbolic, I favor any of this. I've just seen too much of it. But if you are really worried about someone tracking you, find an alternative medication. They are out there. I am all for privacy, but I think we tend to take it too far. You don't have to buy this, and then you won't have to *gasp* give your name or show ID. Your privacy is much more at risk by simply using a credit card than by doing this.
Old 01-17-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
If we were dealing with a higher end drug like cocaine or heroine
Old 01-17-06, 08:54 PM

Last summer a law was passed in Oregon that now requires a prescription for over-the-counter drugs that contain pseudoephedrine, such as Sudafed. When my boys have a sniffle I guess I have to pay for a doctor's visit, which SUCKS.
Old 01-17-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If we were dealing with a higher end drug like cocaine or heroine, I would agree. The meth people around here that have been busted are uneducated, unmotivated, etc. They may try to steal what they need, but if they can't get it, they tend to move on. And the reason they track this isn't so they know who you are, it is so they know who is buying unusually large quantities.

Again, any other drug, legalize it and I could care less. But with meth, I don't even care if it is just symbolic, I favor any of this. I've just seen too much of it. But if you are really worried about someone tracking you, find an alternative medication. They are out there. I am all for privacy, but I think we tend to take it too far. You don't have to buy this, and then you won't have to *gasp* give your name or show ID. Your privacy is much more at risk by simply using a credit card than by doing this.
Well, then how about people who buy boxes and crates of Sudafed for their "daughter", are required to show ID then, instead of a casual purchase of one package--from what I gather the databases are not all connected to all stores so it's useless at this point to require each individual to be required to show ID.

All these types of laws do, is make it easier to enact more laws. I'm not so afraid of mishandling of information as I am living in a world of more and more inconvenience, which leads to NOTHING positive happening from that inconvenience.

All politicians are going to do, is enact more laws because it's much easier than actually PUNISHING THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY COMMIT THE CRIME.

This is just a thought, maybe enact laws which punish the meth user much more viciously, and enact a much larger budget for more law enforcement.

Here in Oregon I personally know of a felon who was supposed to do 5 years+ for meth cooking and related crimes, but ended up only doing 3 fucking months--and he was even wanted in California for crimes!

I could go on how meth criminals are being released early from Oregon prisons, but the sad truth is politicians don't want you to know. It hardly makes news either. All we have are politicians who only want to appear to be making a difference, rather than getting their precious hands dirty.

And the big clencher is, there is no database to track these fucking tweakers. Why can't pharmacies in all the local Wal-Marts, Safeways, Fred-Meyers, Walgreens, etc., have access to a special database that LAW ENFORCEMENT TYPES INFORMATION into when they book a meth head?

Why can't we have a database where law enforcement has typed the personal information of an arrested and/or convicted meth user, thereby filtering out most of the population. Then a smart pharmacist who has someone's ID in their hands, can simply compare what's in the database by name, DL #, DOB.

Personally, I'm just against redundant databases, especially when it involves citizens. It's just too easy to have that information "accidentally" sold to someone. It happens on a regular basis. The only time we know about it is if someone had something happen to them and the database was the only way the information could have been compromised.

And I'm also against the minor inconveniences which will eventually end up just being a pain in the ass when you step out your door.

Now, I will agree, most of us probably spend more time online filling out our personal information and credit card info purchasing stuff, than compared to buying cough medicine and submitting information to a pharmacist.

But my point is...WHY? I guess if I knew for a fact this information actually helped society, I'd be more willing to sacrifice a few extra minutes of my time. But it seems as if regular medicine is being basically outlawed for the common citizen, with no real supportive proof that it would reduce drug addicts.

One thing I do know. Meth users will create a different product if they can't get the ingredients in the OTC drugs. Actually, I think they are already doing it.
Old 01-17-06, 09:59 PM

These laws dont solve much, just makes it more prone to get stolen
Old 01-17-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As long as the goverment is protecting us !!!

Old 01-18-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Hiro11,

You have absolutely every right to be irritated. If this was a proven way to prevent Meth use, then I am sure we'd be all more willing to go along without protest. But when these types of laws are just outright retarded, it's no wonder people like you and I are getting frustrated. All this shows is how NOT IN TOUCH our political leaders are.

All this is, is extra paperwork, more ways to get your ID stolen and used by a rogue employee, and more opportunities for a database to get hacked.

There is absolutely no evidence to show this reduces meth crimes. All it proves is that ordinary citizens are inconvenienced in another aspect of their life, while a meth criminal will simply break-in to a store and steal the damn stuff if they have to, use fake ID--thereby INCREASING IDENTITY THEFT IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD, and making deals with the store employees or even the owner (like in one I know about in NE Portland).

I don't even know where to begin with this statement it is so ridiculous.
Old 01-18-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, then how about people who buy boxes and crates of Sudafed for their "daughter", are required to show ID then, instead of a casual purchase of one package--from what I gather the databases are not all connected to all stores so it's useless at this point to require each individual to be required to show ID.

All these types of laws do, is make it easier to enact more laws. I'm not so afraid of mishandling of information as I am living in a world of more and more inconvenience, which leads to NOTHING positive happening from that inconvenience.

All politicians are going to do, is enact more laws because it's much easier than actually PUNISHING THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY COMMIT THE CRIME.

This is just a thought, maybe enact laws which punish the meth user much more viciously, and enact a much larger budget for more law enforcement.

Here in Oregon I personally know of a felon who was supposed to do 5 years+ for meth cooking and related crimes, but ended up only doing 3 fucking months--and he was even wanted in California for crimes!

I could go on how meth criminals are being released early from Oregon prisons, but the sad truth is politicians don't want you to know. It hardly makes news either. All we have are politicians who only want to appear to be making a difference, rather than getting their precious hands dirty.

And the big clencher is, there is no database to track these fucking tweakers. Why can't pharmacies in all the local Wal-Marts, Safeways, Fred-Meyers, Walgreens, etc., have access to a special database that LAW ENFORCEMENT TYPES INFORMATION into when they book a meth head?

Why can't we have a database where law enforcement has typed the personal information of an arrested and/or convicted meth user, thereby filtering out most of the population. Then a smart pharmacist who has someone's ID in their hands, can simply compare what's in the database by name, DL #, DOB.

Personally, I'm just against redundant databases, especially when it involves citizens. It's just too easy to have that information "accidentally" sold to someone. It happens on a regular basis. The only time we know about it is if someone had something happen to them and the database was the only way the information could have been compromised.

And I'm also against the minor inconveniences which will eventually end up just being a pain in the ass when you step out your door.

Now, I will agree, most of us probably spend more time online filling out our personal information and credit card info purchasing stuff, than compared to buying cough medicine and submitting information to a pharmacist.

But my point is...WHY? I guess if I knew for a fact this information actually helped society, I'd be more willing to sacrifice a few extra minutes of my time. But it seems as if regular medicine is being basically outlawed for the common citizen, with no real supportive proof that it would reduce drug addicts.

One thing I do know. Meth users will create a different product if they can't get the ingredients in the OTC drugs. Actually, I think they are already doing it.
Oh Yeah?
Old 01-18-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Sorry. Just got back from a 3 hour school board meeting where I got to listen to why "Chistmas" needs to be put back in the school calendar despite the fact that it hasn't been there for a decade and no one noticed. I've had my fill of arguing for the night.
Old 01-18-06, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe it would be helpful to just politely ask your children to not get sick.
Old 01-18-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And the reason they track this isn't so they know who you are, it is so they know who is buying unusually large quantities.
I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm complaining about this particular set of rules. It's ridiculous and won't work:
1. Meth dealers get a fake ID
2. Meth dealers get 15 of their friends together and buy the drug
3. Meth dealers rob a warehouse
..etc. This law will do absolutely nothing to stop professionals or addicts, it will only inconvenience John Q Public.

Again, any other drug, legalize it and I could care less. But with meth, I don't even care if it is just symbolic, I favor any of this.
I dunno, I'm not a big fan of any idea that's implemented just to "do something." Especially when the idea has so many holes that it will be easily gamed. Money and addiction are powerful motivators, there's any number of easy ways around this law.
But if you are really worried about someone tracking you, find an alternative medication. They are out there.
Yeah, that are less effective, shorter lasting and have not been proven as safe as good ol' Sudafed.
I am all for privacy, but I think we tend to take it too far. You don't have to buy this, and then you won't have to *gasp* give your name or show ID. Your privacy is much more at risk by simply using a credit card than by doing this.
I work in the retail banking industry. I've seen thousands of examples of identity theft every day. Trust me, it's not an obscure/rare occurrence. It's happened to me and I'm extremely careful about giving out personal information. In a prior job, I built a consumer personal verification aggregater (to identify and prevent fraudulent applications for credit) using "in wallet" data from about 10 different firms. I'm well aware of the comprehensive, easily available data that's out there on you and I. Look at Choicepoint, the company was hit by a "social engineer" type hacker and had several million identities hacked causing untold damage to innocent people's credit. Parsed, accurate data (like what they're collecting for cold medicine) is dangerous stuff, especially when it's being used in what appears to be a loose, unregulated and uncontrolled manner like this data. This stuff would be a goldmine.

As I said, I'm not making a blanket statement against collecting data on cold medicine buying trends. I'm against the way this particular law has been implemented.