Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Electrostatic air filters? (for furnace)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-08-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to Home Depot yesterday to purchase some disposable air filters for my attic furnace and immediately ran into a quandry over my best options. The cheap $1.50 30-day filters, the pleated $4.00 90-day filters and then these 10-year reusable WEB filters for $22.00. Supposedly you just clean with water every 2 months.

Been reading online and some of the advice seems contradictory. I'm just curious if any of you have used these type of electrostatic filters and have been happy with them. I like the idea of saving some dough over time.
Old 01-08-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The recommendation I have gotten from several heating and cooling companies is to use NaturalAire brand filters with a MERV10 or MERV12 rating (replace every 90 days or sooner)

Best bang for the buck, you can buy them in a 3 pack at home depot.
Old 01-08-06, 11:01 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried the electrostatic filters and didn't notice that they worked well enough to be worth the cost and the hassle of washing them. I think the pleated ones are the way to go.
Old 01-08-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with X. I actually use the 3M Filtrete brand (replace every 3 mos). They do a much better job than the electrostatic IMO.

Sonic
Old 01-08-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the recs guys.
Old 01-08-06, 06:00 PM

I'll second the 3M Filterette. I use the ultra-allergen one (purple packaging). Any other air filters result in me getting irritated thorats and allergies in about a month.
When I moved to my new home, the previous owners left an "electronic air cleaner" thing in the furnace. They also left the manual and receipt stating it cost over $200. I used that thing for less than a week before I came to the conclusion it was total crap.
Old 01-09-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With your help I was prodded to do more online searching for a good bulk deal and found some Merv 11 filters by American Air Filter that were $109 for 24 (that included shipping). I bought them at www.filterace.com and the price was almost half that of purchasing straight from American Air's website. These got decent reviews from Consumer Reports.

Exact produce here: http://www.filterace.com/Catalog2.aspx?CategoryID=58

Not bad for $4.50 a piece.