Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Going snow skiing - what else do I need?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-06-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking the kids skiing in Colorado in a couple weeks, and it will be our first time in snow. Being from Florida, we don't have to deal with cold weather too often, so I am not sure what else we might need for the trip to make sure we don't freeze.

So far, I have purchased:
Ski jackets
Goggles
Thermal underware
Ski socks
Sock liners
Ski gloves
Glove liners
Face masks
Chapstick

I figured the ski pants I can rent, so is there anything I am forgetting? What about shoes? For the skiing part, I can rent the ski boats, but what about when we are just playing around in the snow? Should I get boots too, or would sneakers do? Anything else? Any tips (besides don't eat the yellow snow)?
Old 01-06-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sunglasses--good ones. personally, i hate wearing goggles.
sunscreen
i'm assuming you have hats
you will definitley need boots for playing in the snow, unless you want wet sneakers.

since you've never skied in powder be prepared to fall a lot until you get used to it.
I strongly recommend a group lesson for the family.
Old 01-06-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And remember... trees = bad.
Old 01-06-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tdirgins
sunglasses--good ones. personally, i hate wearing goggles.
sunscreen
i'm assuming you have hats
you will definitley need boots for playing in the snow, unless you want wet sneakers.

since you've never skied in powder be prepared to fall a lot until you get used to it.
I strongly recommend a group lesson for the family.
Thanks for the help. I got the goggles since they seemed like they would stay on better, and keep our eyes from drying out. Sunglasses would probably be a good idea when not skiing.

And no, I didn't get hats. Are you talking about the knit type hats that you can pull over your ears? I had thought about picking some up - will probably do it this weekend.

Any particular type of boot I should get?

Someone else had also mentioned sunscreen, so I guess I will pick that up too.

The only lessons that they have for kids is kids only. They said if I wanted family lessons, I would have to hire a private instructor. Don't know the cost of that, so not sure if I will go that route. The regular lessons per kid is $100.

Also - we are going to Winter Park in Colorado, so if anyone has any comments or tips about that place, lets hear them too.
Old 01-06-06, 09:32 AM

Get some of those heat packs that you stick in your gloves that you break open and are good for seven hours or so. Wal Mart should have them in their hunting department. Also, a Pelican box or something to put your phone/camera in that is crush proof and waterproof, because you will fall. Rubber boots as mentioned earlier for the snow, also at WM. Walkie Talkies are good to communicate with to meet up w/ your other family members. (lifts, snack bars, etc)
Old 01-06-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excited much?
What ages are the kids?
Get the fleece ear headbands, I prefer those to hats/toboggans.

I second the sunglasses over goggles, even when skiing. The only time I use my goggles is if the wimpy ass slope nearest me is blowing snow - THAT sucks hitting your face.

I also recommend lessons. Skiing is not something easy to pick up on your own unless you have a LOT of patience. jmho...

Where are you staying?

I'm a 30year old kid. I love snow, and love the snow bricks and making forts and playing snow ball fights - STILL. If you're staying in a cabin that would be fun.
Old 01-06-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Life Insurance!
Old 01-06-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by debbert
Life Insurance!
Beat me to it...

I'll go with Medical and Disability.

And at least $20 a person for the lodge.
Old 01-06-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
Excited much?
What ages are the kids?
Get the fleece ear headbands, I prefer those to hats/toboggans.

I second the sunglasses over goggles, even when skiing. The only time I use my goggles is if the wimpy ass slope nearest me is blowing snow - THAT sucks hitting your face.

I also recommend lessons. Skiing is not something easy to pick up on your own unless you have a LOT of patience. jmho...

Where are you staying?

I'm a 30year old kid. I love snow, and love the snow bricks and making forts and playing snow ball fights - STILL. If you're staying in a cabin that would be fun.
Getting very excited! Kids are 11 and almost 6. The 11 year old thinks he is going to pick up a snow board the first day and tear up the slopes... I've tried to tell them that it won't be easy, but he does pretty well on the playstation version, so who knows. I have a lot of experience with water skiing, so hopefully that will help.

I will look for some sunglasses this weekend. The sales guy where I bought most of the ski stuff said to stay away from polorized lenses because it makes it harder to see the bumps or something. Does this sound correct?

I will try to call today to see how much the private lessons are. I would really like to take lessons, but I am trying to control the cost of the trip. Already spent more than I had planned for the whole trip, and we haven't even got there yet.

We will be staying at the Iron House, which is at the base of Winter Park.
Old 01-06-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by debbert
Life Insurance!
Old 01-06-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you sure you can rent ski pants? If you can't then you will be in agony. Sports authority usually has them pretty cheap (nylon, not goretex). They don't hold up for season after season like good ones, but are fine for one trip.

I'd also recomment a backpack for keeping all the stuff everyone mentioned in. It's good to keep bottles of water in there for people to have when taking a break, riding the lift, etc.

I like goggles, especially in powder which goes everywhere. I'm too paranoid of breaking my sunglasses to wear them skiing too Plus the goggles help keep your face warm.
Old 01-06-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Be sure to get one of those fake casts for your leg. That way you won't have to *do* any actual skiing. (which isn't really fun anyway, you will only get frozen and hurt) You can just lounge around the lodge sipping pleasant beverages while receiving endless sympathy from cute snow bunnies. (who would also rather be hanging in the lodge then skiing)
Old 01-06-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RENT HELMETS!!!!!!! for your kids at least. I can't stress this enough and others might make fun of me, but my son lost control as a newbie and ran into one of the poles that secure the fencing around the ski lift (thankfully that rather than the large girder 2 feet further in). Fortunately we had rented helmets and while his googles were broken in half and his nose was bruised he was otherwise ok. Of course, we didn't know that right away as the ski patrol had to take him down on a litter (he was disoriented and sleepy) and we had to go to the local emergency room for an exam. I can't even begin to explain the feelings I had right then so please don't take that chance.

Last edited by beavismom; 01-06-06 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-06-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

hipflask
Old 01-06-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cpgator
Getting very excited! Kids are 11 and almost 6. The 11 year old thinks he is going to pick up a snow board the first day and tear up the slopes... I've tried to tell them that it won't be easy, but he does pretty well on the playstation version, so who knows.
You might be surprised! Kids pic it up rather fast.

I have a lot of experience with water skiing, so hopefully that will help.
Won't hurt. Much different though.

I will look for some sunglasses this weekend. The sales guy where I bought most of the ski stuff said to stay away from polorized lenses because it makes it harder to see the bumps or something. Does this sound correct?
Polarized lenses will cut down on the glare, but may not allow you to easily distinguish from patches of snow or ice. The benefits outweigh the negatives in my opinion.

I will try to call today to see how much the private lessons are. I would really like to take lessons, but I am trying to control the cost of the trip. Already spent more than I had planned for the whole trip, and we haven't even got there yet.
Having an accident and/or not being able to ski correctly will outweigh the cost of at least one lesson!

Enjoy! I wish I were going!!!

Sonic
Old 01-06-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

agreed. ^^ Skiing thoroughly sucks if you don't know what you're doing. If you have the patience, maybe you'll be ok, but snow plowing and learning to slalom the slope are not something easy to grasp without help, in my opinion. If you don't have the patience you'll be pissed at the money you put out

I'm jealous though, I've never been to CO.
Old 01-06-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeeden
Are you sure you can rent ski pants? If you can't then you will be in agony. Sports authority usually has them pretty cheap (nylon, not goretex). They don't hold up for season after season like good ones, but are fine for one trip.

I'd also recomment a backpack for keeping all the stuff everyone mentioned in. It's good to keep bottles of water in there for people to have when taking a break, riding the lift, etc.

I like goggles, especially in powder which goes everywhere. I'm too paranoid of breaking my sunglasses to wear them skiing too Plus the goggles help keep your face warm.
Just called the ski place and they rent the pants for $10 a day plus $5 cleaning fee. For that price I might just buy some. Also asked about the ski lessons - $329 for 3 hrs and $449 for 6 hrs, which is not as bad as I thought. I probably will sign up for the 3 hr class.

Backpack is also a good idea. I wanted to take my camera and video camera with me, plus water and snacks would be good too.
Old 01-06-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

agreed. ^^ Skiing thoroughly sucks if you don't know what you're doing. If you have the patience, maybe you'll be ok, but snow plowing and learning to slalom the slope are not something easy to grasp without help, in my opinion. If you don't have the patience you'll be pissed at the money you put out
No slaloming for me, but I got the snow plow part down real well. I don't know how official or recommended it is, but if you're gonna fall, I've found just sitting is much better than tumbling down a hill and getting whacked in the face with a ski pole.

I really, really want to go again (only really do it once a year at best), but if my wife comes, I told her she's taking lessons. Heck, it might not hurt for me to go through an official thing (my one friend basically showed me how to do what I can).

And I'm still paranoid getting off of lifts that I've gonna fall down and get run over by the next person.
Old 01-06-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by beavismom
RENT HELMETS!!!!!!! for your kids at least. I can't stress this enough and others might make fun of me, but my son lost control as a newbie and ran into one of the poles that secure the fencing around the ski lift (thankfully that rather than the large girder 2 feet further in). Fortunately we had rented helmets and while his googles were broken in half and his nose was bruised he was otherwise ok. Of course, we didn't know that right away as the ski patrol had to take him down on a litter (he was disoriented and sleepy) and we had to go to the local emergency room for an exam. I can't even begin to explain the feelings I had right then so please don't take that chance.
I will be renting helmets. My bike helmet has saved me many times when trees have jumped out in front of me. Good to hear your son was okay.
Old 01-06-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sunglasses with an amber/yellow tint are the best for distinguishing bumps and terrain changes in the snow.

Also, the lessons are a smart move, you will enjoy the trip so much more. I used to instruct and kids definitely pick it up faster because the adults "think" too much about it and the kids just do it.

And as mentioned before, helmets for the kids is a great idea.
Old 01-06-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm jealous though, I've never been to CO.
You're a real buzzkill! See if I invite you on my next trip. I figure if the skiing doesn't work out, there are other things we can do there. They have sledding, ice-skating, snowmobiling, etc that can keep us busy.

I am actually considering moving to Colorado (Denver area). I have been a couple times for business and really liked the area. This is the main reason I picked CO for the ski trip - wanted to check it out some more and see what the kids thought of snow. Will probably go up again in a couple months to look for an apartment, and see the city. I have discussed the move with work, and they approved the transfer - so now I just have to make a decision.

So... if anyone lives in the area and can recommend a nice apt in the Aurora area...

Last edited by cpgator; 01-06-06 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-06-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So... if anyone lives in the area and can recommend a nice apt in the Aurora area...

Lived there for 10 years, actually worked as an apartment locator for part of it. What price range are you looking in? Make sure you are in the Cherry Creek School District as Aurora ISD is not very good. Also, some of the Cherry Creek elementary schools are year round so that may be an issue since you have a middle schooler as well. Feel free to ask any other questions...
Old 01-06-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeeden

drinking water (or gatorade) is associated with most sports, but rarely skiing. Once I started skiing with camelback full of water, I noticed a HUGE difference, because I kept hydrated.

I'm not sure you want to go overboard on the winter clothes. Colorado doesn't usually get that cold (as long as the sun is out), so layers are important. if you were going to northern vermont, I'd say bundle up as much as possible, but if it's a sunny day in colorado, you shouldn't get that cold.
Old 01-06-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and lots of it.....
Old 01-06-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^ oh yeah, good call MT!

I also carry a personal pack of kleenexes with me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.