Reload this Page >

One TicketMaster order: $56.40 in fees

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-05-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, they can eat my ass. Why has the government not hit them with any type of Anti-Trust suit? Look at this:

REGULAR GATE ADMISSION US $10.29 x 11
Total Convenience Charge(s) US $4.80 x 11 = 52.80

Order Processing Charge(s) US $3.60

Will Call No Charge

TOTAL CHARGES US $169.59

They even wanted to charge me an extra 2.50 to deliver my tickets via email! WTF.
Old 01-05-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It must depend on the concert because I've probably never paid more than $15 in fees from ticketmaster the any concert I've bought from them.
Old 01-05-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

That sucks.
Old 01-05-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$5 per ticket? Not too bad - see all of the other TM threads of what people paid for service charged per ticket.
Old 01-05-06, 05:00 PM

I feel your pain dood. They've been raping me since '96. One time, the convenience charges equaled the cost of my $5.00 ticket.

100% tax for the lose.
Old 01-05-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ticketmaster is awesome and they deserve every penny. I would much rather spend time on the Ticketmaster Web site than at a silly concert, so I don't mind paying the fees. Those "type the word in the image below" verification things are a hoot! And getting something in the mail from someone as awesome as Ticketmaster? That's worth AT LEAST 2 bucks. It really is a fantastic service they provide. Yay Ticketmaster.

I don't see how they've built the empire that they have. The rates are absolutely absurd. But people buy through them, so whatcha gonna do?
Old 01-05-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I don't see how they've built the empire that they have. The rates are absolutely absurd. But people buy through them, so whatcha gonna do?
You can do what we did as a kid ... stand in the rain or freezing weather overnite for tickets in line or ... get up, log in and get tickets at a computer.
Old 01-05-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm just gunna bite the cost, knowing that I will be receiving an antitrust settlement check of 73 cents at some point in the future.
Old 01-05-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Flashback
You can do what we did as a kid ... stand in the rain or freezing weather overnite for tickets in line or ... get up, log in and get tickets at a computer.
Understood. I just can't believe nobody can beat them up by charging less.
Old 01-05-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Y0u = Own3d

Old 01-05-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flashback
Or actually blow off concerts because I won't do either. Yeah, their fee structure has pissed me off so much that I decided not to bother with some shows.
Old 01-05-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I usually do a good job of boycotting ticketmaster, but I had to pay about $15 in fees for 2 tickets recently because I procrastinated before xmas.

I try to go to the box office when possible. These were the first ticketmaster tix I bought in about 4 years. I buy tickets for shows about once a month or so. thank god there are competitors for smaller venue shows.
Old 01-05-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I take it Eddie Vedder gave up on his TM fight.
Old 01-05-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i've seen their numbers when they were owned by that company that was a radio station monopoly and they don't make that much money.
Old 01-05-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trout
I take it Eddie Vedder gave up on his TM fight.
They admitted defeat years ago
Old 01-05-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They have exclusivity contracts with arenas and clubs, no other ticketing service can sell there.

I did phone sales work (it was awful) for New Era tickets which is essentially Comcast's version of Ticketmaster. They are trying to take all the money away from Ticketmaster. I can tell you that the surcharges were as high (usually higher) at this company.

The problem is that any effective ticket sales agency has to do interstate business. This adds an extreme layer of complexity (and cost) into the mix. New Era has its head up its ass and I'll be surprised if it ever makes anywhere near the amount of money Ticketmaster does. Really, once you see how much work goes into selling tickets you have a new respect for ticketmaster.
Old 01-05-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Really, once you see how much work goes into selling tickets you have a new respect for ticketmaster.
I just wish at the very least they'd just add the "service charges" into the ticket prices. Then charge a $.50 fee or something. At least make me feel better. But paying $4.80 eleven times just makes your ass feel violated.
Old 01-05-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't want to pay fees? Get off your ass and go to the venue.

Want to use the convenience of phone or internet? Expect to pay for it.

People who squalk about Ticketmaster are a bunch of lazy complainers.
Old 01-05-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate Ticketmaster with a burning passion inside of my body, but I still order from them. From what I've noticed during the years, it's a few dollars cheaper to buy tickets through them from an agent (such as a supermarket) than it is to buy them online from their website.

Now I could wait outside of the venue the "event" is taking place at to buy the tickets, but I'm one lazy son of a bitch. That or there's specific constraints (such as time or cost) occuring to prevent me from doing that. When I went to Los Angeles back in October, I bought tickets to all the concerts I was attending out there from either Ticketmaster agents here or from online pre-sales months in advance (where Ticketmaster's crazy fees do not apply).

Sure, I'll pay a little bit for ease of getting a ticket, but some of Ticketmaster's fees are a little bit too much. Especially when you're buying more than one ticket.
Old 01-05-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I just wish at the very least they'd just add the "service charges" into the ticket prices. Then charge a $.50 fee or something. At least make me feel better. But paying $4.80 eleven times just makes your ass feel violated.
Then don't pay it or go to the venue in person.

You realize that Ticketmaster makes like no money off the tickets, right? Their cut is the convience fee. Are they supposed to do it out of kindness?
Old 01-05-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by KitchenSink

So lets say you want some milk and there is only one milk company that charges you insane fees to get your milk. Hell, the service of getting the product sometimes cost more than the actual milk. What would be the best possible answer?

I could, by your example, call you a lazy ass and you should get out and milk the cow for yourself. That or you can find another milker who doesn't overcharge you and puts up fair prices. Sadly in this case there isn't any sort of competition for the milkers.
Old 01-05-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Then don't pay it or go to the venue in person.

You realize that Ticketmaster makes like no money off the tickets, right? Their cut is the convience fee. Are they supposed to do it out of kindness?

No what I was saying was that I just wish they'd include the "fees" in the actual ticket price or the majority of them. THEN charge like a $.50 fee to make it feel better. I have no problem with fees. It's bad enough they rape you with them then they show you how bad.
Old 01-05-06, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by KitchenSink

Now how would someone who works fulltime get their ass to the venue during box office hours?

The fact that we're paying convenience fees is not the problem here. It's the excessive and unreasonable amount that they're charging we have issue with.

It's like a +20% tax on an average ticket.
Old 01-05-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kantonburg
No what I was saying was that I just wish they'd include the "fees" in the actual ticket price or the majority of them. THEN charge like a $.50 fee to make it feel better. I have no problem with fees. It's bad enough they rape you with them then they show you how bad.
They HAVE to show you. So that you can see how much they are charging you so that you can make an informed decision whether or not to buy via the service.
Old 01-05-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have never purchased tickets via Ticketmaster. I'll go to the venue or skip it. Luckily I don't go to the overblown priced rock concerts.

I did use them once but the concert was cancelled so I got a refund. It was three hours away for a British band that I thought might never get back to the US. The show was $6 and the fee $4.50 per ticket. Oi.

Three months later they came to my town so I bypassed Ticketmaster once again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.