Reload this Page >

The XM hardware & programming thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-05-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How on earth that fucking thread is still going is beyond me. Keep the fanboy shit there for all I care. Like Sirius hardware & programming better? Great. At least you aren't listening to FM anymore. Start a Sirius thread.

With that out of the way - does anyone have a new Onkyo or Yamaha 7.1 home receiver that has XM tuning capability in it?

How is the sound compared to something like a SkyFi2 in a home kit or one of those Polk units?
Old 01-05-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just asking, but, perhaps the Hardware Forum would be a suitable home for this (and a Sirius Hardware discussion thread if started). That would keep it more on topic, imho...

Though I might not have mentioned programming in the title if you wanted fanboy stuff out.
Old 01-05-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
I'm just asking, but, perhaps the Hardware Forum would be a suitable home for this (and a Sirius Hardware discussion thread if started). That would keep it more on topic, imho...
Well if you didn't realize it, both have more than just O&A & Stern. Which would keep it out of the Hardware forum, IMHO.

Though I might not have mentioned programming in the title if you wanted fanboy stuff out.
I guess I shouldn't have mentioned hardware either then

That fucking thread sucks. All I want is to discuss XM related stuff without having to fish through 100 posts of pure shit. Is that too much to ask for??
Old 01-05-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree 1000000%. I just want a place to discuss with dvdtalkers harware options, mountings, wiring issues, etc. I want to see pics of Deftones "glass sheet" install, hear about who leaves theirs suctioned to the windshield all day long or who removes it thinking it might get stolen, etc. And your first question was hardware related. I see the potential for more of that discussion than Martha Stewart or Richard Simmons. That's what I thought you were more interested in. I'm not trying to damper your thread, just offering a thought. Again, I'd rather discuss this with my DVDTalk buds than start a new ID at siriusbackstage.

Can we petition a mod for 3 threads? An XM thread, a Siruis thread. Both of these "O&A/Stern-free zones". Then a third for the fanboy bs?

Don't know where I'd put it... Television/HT equipment has a forum, and TV content has it's own forum...
Old 01-05-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can we petition a mod for 3 threads? An XM thread, a Siruis thread. Both of these "O&A/Stern-free zones". Then a third for the fanboy bs?
That would be great.
Old 01-05-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And Lo, none of them will be here in Otter.
Old 01-05-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We leave our units mounted in the car. They're on the dash or on the center console, so they're not in the sun. If I go somewhere where i leave the doors unlocked, I usually cover it up with whatever is on my seat, but normally I lock my doors [which I do anyway].

Hardware: I have definitely looked at the home recievers, but they're not for me. If I'm going to spend a bunch of money for a receiver, and a monthly fee, I would like a little flexibility/portability. But I definitely like the trend, the more varied kinds of recievers there are, the more potential satrad customers. As long as XM doesn't knock off some more 'not as popular' channels : (

Programming: XM Live [200, I think]. I like the concept, but it's only active 5% of the time. Why don't they replay previously-live programs, instead of constantly saying "Please check website for the next scheduled event."
Also, Simulcasts: While a program could be topical on more than one channel [say, "Then Again Live", could work on 200, and 41 or 45 and a decade channel for some artists], why is it actually broadcast on each of those channels? Play it on one channel, put pointer commercials on the other, relevant channels. Simulcast on satrad is a waste, to me.

disclaimer: I am an xm subscriber, and love the service. But, like everything else, it's not perfect, and these are just some "Hey, you know what I'd like?" type thoughts from a supportive consumer.
Old 01-05-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An back on topic...

I just ordered a XM Pioneer Airware, any opinions on the best antennae placement? Is the front portion on the roof the most ideal or towards the back of the roof? I was thinking of trying it inside the back window to avoid running a wire outside the car also.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cseyer
An back on topic...

I just ordered a XM Pioneer Airware, any opinions on the best antennae placement? Is the front portion on the roof the most ideal or towards the back of the roof? I was thinking of trying it inside the back window to avoid running a wire outside the car also.

Thanks!
I have mine placed on the inside rear window. I never saw the appeal of running it outside just so someone can clip it off for kicks. My reception has been great.
Old 01-05-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have my antenna on the outside of the roof above the rear window.

My wife has it towards the front.

As long as your reception is good, leave it inside.
Old 01-05-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I want to see pics of Deftones "glass sheet" install.
I can take pics tonight or tomorrow AM and try to post them w/in a day or so.
Old 01-05-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ours are both outside, about eight inches from the door frame. Only because we couldn't find a good metal place to stick it inside the car.
Old 01-05-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Car - Sky-fi2 hard wired into CD changer port on accord with home cradle..antenna is run under center console, under carpet up trunk liner, out trunk and through window edging to rest above middle of rear window.

With compartment door closed

Living room - home kit, Pio VSX-815, JBL Northridge F + C, Kenwood Rear + sub

Bedroom - Skyfi2 car cradle, fastened with the sticky Roadie2 dashboard mount, stuck to a roadie2 home stand...Too lazy to jump on the 7 and get another home cradle from ziggy

Computer - xAmP Desktop with Creative SOundblaster X-Fi Platinum and Logitech z-5300 5.1 speakers + Sennheiser HD201 Headphones

Sorry, but I took these pics for a wackbag thread, ill post a pic with DVDTalk later

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 01-05-06 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by kantonburg
I have mine placed on the inside rear window. I never saw the appeal of running it outside just so someone can clip it off for kicks. My reception has been great.
Until my current setup, I got good reception with the antenna inside on the rear deck
Old 01-05-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kantonburg
Cool I will definetly try that out. Do you have it anchored down or just loose on the rear deck? I was thinking maybe the hook side of velcro stuck to the bottom of the antenna would adhere enough to the carpet to hold it in place?
Old 01-05-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cseyer
Cool I will definetly try that out. Do you have it anchored down or just loose on the rear deck? I was thinking maybe the hook side of velcro stuck to the bottom of the antenna would adhere enough to the carpet to hold it in place?
Is there any metal on the rear deck? Those magnets are strong. I used to atick mine on the metal key slot to release the back seat
Old 01-05-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my XM2GO Delphi my MiFi for christmas and for the most part Ive been really happy and get great reception in my apt and just about every where else in the city. My XM Delphi Skyfi with boombox didnt always get the best recpetion in my apartment. Question for TommyCeez, I dont know if you go out in Queens towards Long Island ever, but the only time Ive really had a problem with my MiFi is once I start heading out that way, especially when I get on the eastern side of the Cross Island Pkwy. Ever have any problems out that way, or any places in the NYC area?
Old 01-05-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have occasional dropouts in the narrow streets off Riverside Drive, and this weekend I got NOTHING in an area of Levittown...other than that its spot on as long as im not in a tunnel...I will admit that Im not often on the island

Oh, mountaineous areas upstate, and the Sprain Brook Parkway have been spotty too

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 01-05-06 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome. I have a couple of comments and questions...

First, I have a factory XM radio in an Acura. I also have the Roady2 in a Mercury Mountaineer. The antenna is one the top just behind the sunroof. I run the cable across to the driver door, down the rubber into the door hinge area. It then enters the vehicle under the plastic trim along the floor, under the seat, under the center console to the radio where its mounted below the heater controls. Luckily, the vehicle is black so you can't see the wire. I don't like the crude setup but it'll do until I get an MDX or something.

I also have an XM Skybox. I bought it for the back patio. The problem is that it doesn't work on the back patio. The back patio faces north and the house is so high that any signal is totally blocked. That is a super bummer. I sometimes run an antenna. Also, the batteries get killed. I noticed in the manual later that you should remove the batteries when not in use. I guess its constantly using battery even when its off. LAME! To use it, I have to have the long antenna cable in it and have it plugged in.

How are people with the home units handling the antenna? I'd love to have a home unit but dread running that blasted antenna. Anyone have the boombox?

Last edited by CRM114; 01-05-06 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-05-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114

How are people with the home units handling the antenna? I'd love to have a home unit but dread running that blasted antenna.
The livingroom antenna is facing south out the window, but bedroom is in the other end of the apartment, with only a north facing window and recieves fine...(if you look at the pic above, the bedroom antenna is between the stereo and the wall)
Old 01-05-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the longest time I just had my Roady2 transfer from to car to inside but once the internet stream was part of the subscription I decided to keep the Roady in the car. Unfortunately by that time the car antenna was pretty much shot so I have to use the home kit antenna in the car. I have it resting on the dashboard. It is a tad unsightly but meh. When I upgrade to a different unit (was going to get an Airware during the sale but didn't have the free cash) I will have one of my friends wire it correctly. Maybe I will splurge and get one of the new models.
Old 01-05-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
The livingroom antenna is facing south out the window, but bedroom is in the other end of the apartment, with only a north facing window and recieves fine...(if you look at the pic above, the bedroom antenna is between the stereo and the wall)
Is the bedroom antenna in the window?
Old 01-06-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My home kit antennas are not even looking out windows. They are along the south wall though.

We are having a new house built in which the south wall will not be anywhere near the family room. For that I'm probably gonna go with one of these along with a two receiver antenna splitter
Old 01-06-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the bedroom antenna in the window?
No, its directly behind the stereo in the pic above, about 4 feet from a north facing window (the antenna is not even facing THAT window.

KEEP IN MIND...my SkyFi picks up stronger terresterial signals than Sat signals EVERYWHERE in NYC.

I heard a rumor...ill find a link...that XM is launching new birds, so maybe the sat coverage will increase...let me look into it.
Old 01-06-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also have an XM Skybox. I bought it for the back patio. The problem is that it doesn't work on the back patio. The back patio faces north and the house is so high that any signal is totally blocked. That is a super bummer. I sometimes run an antenna. Also, the batteries get killed. I noticed in the manual later that you should remove the batteries when not in use. I guess its constantly using battery even when its off. LAME! To use it, I have to have the long antenna cable in it and have it plugged in.

How are people with the home units handling the antenna? I'd love to have a home unit but dread running that blasted antenna. Anyone have the boombox?
I have the boombox with my SKYFi2 radio and I guess I'm lucky as I get a pretty good signal just about anywhere in my house regardless of where the antenna is pointed. Right now the box is behind me on the end of a bed with the antenna sitting next to it. I'm getting a full terrestrial signal and a slight satellite signal.
I have yet to use it with batteries. Is that true that the unit draws battery power even when not turned on?! That really would suck. For now I'll try to be mostly using it plugged into AC power I guess.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.