Five Most Important Religious Trends of 2005

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-05-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10696190/site/newsweek/

1. Pathetic prayer. Churches are more concerned with programming than with prayer.

2. The continuing demise of the black church.

3. The energizing of the evangelicals. Although only 7 percent of adults are evangelicals, their voice is the loudest and their energy, charity, Bible study, and prayer life is the greatest.

4. Biblical illiteracy. The Barna Group has discovered that most Christians (and I would add most Jews) are in increasing numbers biblically illiterate.

5. Revolutionaries. Barna labels as “Christian revolutionaries” the more than 20 million people who are pursuing their Christian faith outside the box.

The charitable work of the "evangelicals" is interesting. I also doubt only 7% of adults are evangelicals, but it seems everyone has different definitions of it.

Revolutionaires is an interesting term. I think it's a bit harsh for someone who just worships in a different way.
Old 01-05-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That article shows what many of us Christians have seen for quite a while...
That people are being pushed to one side or the other. "Fence-sitters" and those who are a bit nebulous about their faith are being forced to stand up or step aside.

Interesting.
Old 01-05-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Woohoo, I'm a revolutionary!
Old 01-05-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

when one of my friends suggested we start a "revolution" at our church another said revolutions are cyclical by nature, a better choice would be to start evolution.
Old 01-05-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian
1. Pathetic prayer. Churches are more concerned with programming than with prayer.
Good. I've never been big on the group prayer thing. In fact, I don't believe in it at all.
4. Biblical illiteracy. The Barna Group has discovered that most Christians (and I would add most Jews) are in increasing numbers biblically illiterate.
That's really nothing new. I routinely engage in debates with people who go to church once or more each week, yet haven't even the simplest grasp of what it is that scripture actually says.
I also doubt only 7% of adults are evangelicals, but it seems everyone has different definitions of it.
I'm a Christian and even I don't know what it means.
Revolutionaires is an interesting term. I think it's a bit harsh for someone who just worships in a different way.
I kind of like it. Of course, I tend to think of change as something positive.
Old 01-05-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

evolution.
Heathen!

Old 01-05-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

6. Bringing back Christmas!
Old 01-05-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't believe in group prayer? You should. I happens all the time. Don't believe it should happen? well that's something else Either way, I think it can be argued that believers should pray, even if it is just in private. Talking to God is more important than some program.

I liked the Newsweek poll that said some huge percent of evangelicals believed you could get to Heaven some other way than Christ. Their definition of evngelical was someone who believed Christ was the only way to heaven (along with other things).

The whole evolution thing was a coversation in jest but it has started to grow on me. I think I might start a Bible Study at my house called "evolve". It will be based on Rom 12:2. Still tossing the idea around in my head
Old 01-05-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'm a Christian and even I don't know what it means.
Setting aside any social or political stigma attached to the phrase "Evangelical Christian", it means...

A person who believes in the following 5 points:
• The triune nature of God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit…the trinity)
• The deity of Jesus (Jesus was fully man and fully God)
• The bodily resurrection of Jesus
• The atoning work of Christ on the cross
• Salvation by grace through faith alone

Last edited by sracer; 01-05-06 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added an important missing word
Old 01-05-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

where'd you get that sracer? Just curious
Old 01-05-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

The Black Church thing is interesting. I would like to know more about it, honestly.
Old 01-05-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

according to wikipedia:

John C. Green, director of the Ray C. Bliss Institute of Applied Politics at the University of Akron in Ohio, found in the 2004 American Religious Landscape Report [1] that despite many variations, evangelicals in the United States generally adhere to four core beliefs:

1. Biblical inerrancy
2. Salvation comes only through faith in Jesus and not good works
3. Individuals (above an age of accountability) must personally trust in Jesus Christ for salvation.
4. All Christians are commissioned to evangelize
Old 01-05-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer
Setting aside any social or political stigma attached to the phrase "Evangelical Christian", it means...

A person who believes in the following 5 points:
• The triune nature of God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit…the trinity)
• The deity of Jesus (Jesus was fully man and fully God)
• The bodily resurrection of Jesus
• The atoning work of Christ on the cross
• Salvation by grace through faith
That's pretty near all of them (us), isn't it?
Old 01-05-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

According to Newsweek, a little less specific:

Evangelicalism
1846, LONDON
A largely Protestant movement in which members are "born again" or saved. Followers stress the importance of Scripture, converting nonbelievers and growing closer to God.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9024970/site/newsweek/
Old 01-05-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Barna's definition is more exhaustive:

http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?P...pic&TopicID=17

We categorize an “evangelical” based upon their answers to nine questions about faith matters. Those included in this segment meet the criteria for being born again; say their faith is very important in their life today; believe they have a personal responsibility to share their religious beliefs about Christ with non-Christians; believe that Satan exists; believe that the eternal salvation is possible only through grace, not works; believe that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life on earth; and describe God as the all-knowing , all-powerful, perfect deity who created the universe and still rules it today. Thus, evangelicals are a subset of the born again population.
Old 01-05-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
The Black Church thing is interesting. I would like to know more about it, honestly.
They attribute it to the rising wealth of blacks, but I'd venture that it has more to do with the urban versus rural population of black Americans. It's just a gut feeling, but I imagine that a person living in the rural South is more likely to go to church than a person living in a major city.
Old 01-05-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

believe they have a personal responsibility to share their religious beliefs about Christ with non-Christians
This seems to be the common characteristic that might distinguish them from any other Christian group (which holds the same beliefs). Essentially, they are the "in your face" Christians.
Old 01-05-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's an interesting article, but what the hell is this ad?

Old 01-05-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This seems to be the common characteristic that might distinguish them from any other Christian group (which holds the same beliefs). Essentially, they are the "in your face" Christians.
they would argue they are just obeying the Great Commission

I think one can share their faith without being "in your face"
Old 01-05-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think one can share their faith without being "in your face"
I engage in religious discussion often (here for example), but if I go around starting up discussions out of the blue with the sole intention of getting you to believe in Jesus, I don't see how anyone might take that as anything other than being "in your face". And I think that is exactly what these Evangelicals do.
Old 01-05-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I engage in religious discussion often (here for example), but if I go around starting up discussions out of the blue with the sole intention of getting you to believe in Jesus, I don't see how anyone might take that as anything other than being "in your face". And I think that is exactly what these Evangelicals do.
i consider myself an evangelical and i dont do that
Old 01-05-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Then you are apparently using a different definition than those above.
Old 01-05-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well I believe I have a personal responsibility to share my religious beliefs about Christ with non-Christians. but that doesn't mean i stand on the street corners preaching. it means I (try to) live my life in such a way that people see somethign they want in theirs.
Old 01-05-06, 01:57 PM

I'm curious, in what way can a Christian live their life that a non-Christian cannot?
Old 01-05-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

but that doesn't mean i stand on the street corners preaching. it means I (try to) live my life in such a way that people see somethign they want in theirs.
I'm with you on that one.

The whole "faith, not works" requirement always gets me because, in my mind, the two are so interconnected that it doesn't make to split them out. If you you say you have faith, but aren't showing it in your actions, then you should really question whether or not you have faith. To me it seems just as hollow as doing good deeds without having the "purpose" (i.e. faith) behind them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.