Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How is Howard Stern doing on Sirius?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How is Howard Stern doing on Sirius?

Old 01-13-06, 06:17 PM
  #351  
Mod Emeritus
 
Gallant Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 15,325
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are articles written with tilde's instead of periods taken seriously?
Gallant Pig is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 06:21 PM
  #352  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Posts: 10,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tommy28


i guess you missed the part where they were booing all night during the game everytime XM was mentioned.
According to sbs

So what your saying, is that according to Stern's 8 rating in NY, that of the 18,000 people in attendance, the 1440 who were Stern listeners, not rabid fans, but listeners, pressured everyone else into booing?

Lordy, lordy, lordy

Deftones, you love arguing hard facts...you take it from here.


BTW, the post on SBS says the guy was watching it on TV...how exactly does a TV viewer hear XM 'mentioned' and booed during a game? Does Sam Rosen or Sal Redlight Messina scream LETS HEAR IT FOR XM out of the broadcast booth?

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 01-13-06 at 06:33 PM.
Tommy Ceez is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 06:38 PM
  #353  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,114
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
According to sbs

So what your saying, is that according to Stern's 8 rating in NY, that of the 18,000 people in attendance, the 1440 who were Stern listeners, not rabid fans, but listeners, pressured everyone else into booing?

Lordy, lordy, lordy

Deftones, you love arguing hard facts...you take it from here.


BTW, the post on SBS says the guy was watching it on TV...how exactly does a TV viewer hear XM 'mentioned' and booed during a game? Does Sam Rosen or Sal Redlight Messina scream LETS HEAR IT FOR XM out of the broadcast booth?
I didn't hear it and neither did you. I'm not saying it did happen or didn't happen. But to equate market share out of what people are doing in an arena is either pretty funny or pretty sad. I'm not sure which.
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 06:47 PM
  #354  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Posts: 10,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
I didn't hear it and neither did you. I'm not saying it did happen or didn't happen. But to equate market share out of what people are doing in an arena is either pretty funny or pretty sad. I'm not sure which.
Wait, are you arguing with the theory of random sampeling and statistics?

If Stern's rating was 8, then it translates that appx. 8% of the people in the arena were listeners...so to say that MOST of the people there were booing Hugh Pinero because they love stern is either funny or sad on your part.
Tommy Ceez is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:01 PM
  #355  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,114
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Wait, are you arguing with the theory of random sampeling and statistics?

If Stern's rating was 8, then it translates that appx. 8% of the people in the arena were listeners...so to say that MOST of the people there were booing Hugh Pinero because they love stern is either funny or sad on your part.
Keep going dude, this is priceless.
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:05 PM
  #356  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Posts: 10,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Keep going dude, this is priceless.
Yes, statistics and math are CRAZY!!!

However, your wild assumptions with no supporting evidence are very level-headed and grounded
Tommy Ceez is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:06 PM
  #357  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,114
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Do some research on mob mentality and crowd dynamics and come back and post an informed statment. kthxbye
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:13 PM
  #358  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,111
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, a guy who spits out jibberish and ignores cold hard facts now wants someone to write a research paper? Why bother? You wouldn't read that anyway, too many facts in there.
Steam is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:16 PM
  #359  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Posts: 10,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Do some research on mob mentality and crowd dynamics and come back and post an informed statment. kthxbye
Im stunned...I honestly cannot believe how far you will go to prove a non point.

So your theory is this...if I may...

You believe that in an area where Howard Stern has 8% of the people listening to him, that MOST of the crowd was Howard Stern fans. And that the people that booed a non Ranger during a ceromony for a beloved Ranger retiring, booed an XM exec because they love howard and therefore hate XM.

The other half, was following along because of a mob mentality...in a venue where they were not actually a mob, but people honoring a hero. Now, you have no proof they even booed...but you know WHY they booed.

I say, that according to statistics, probably no more than 10% could have been Howard listeners, and of that 10%, even less would be rabid enough to boo a fucking CEO...in actuality, I believe that IF THEY DID BOO, its because sports crowds ALWAYS boo corporate sponsors annoying fans during ceremonies.


Umm....YEAH, I do believe that I should do some sociology research before embarassing myself in the above argument
Tommy Ceez is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:18 PM
  #360  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,114
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Steam
Wow, a guy who spits out jibberish and ignores cold hard facts now wants someone to write a research paper? Why bother? You wouldn't read that anyway, too many facts in there.
Awesome. The other village idiot has arrived.

Equating a market share with what people are chanting at a hockey game is sound theory, really. No it is. It's done all the time.

For two guys who are so obviously XM fanboys, this is a whole new stratosphere in terms if sheer stupidity.

Again, I ask. If you are going to make a statement, make sure you have knowledge and the inkling of an education that might be able to back it up.
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:20 PM
  #361  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Posts: 10,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Awesome. The other village idiot has arrived.

Equating a market share with what people are chanting at a hockey game is sound theory, really. No it is. It's done all the time.

For two guys who are so obviously XM fanboys, this is a whole new stratosphere in terms if sheer stupidity.

Again, I ask. If you are going to make a statement, make sure you have knowledge and the inkling of an education that might be able to back it up.
What in the holy fuck are you talking about?
Tommy Ceez is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:21 PM
  #362  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,114
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Im stunned...I honestly cannot believe how far you will go to prove a non point.

So your theory is this...if I may...

You believe that in an area where Howard Stern has 8% of the people listening to him, that MOST of the crowd was Howard Stern fans. And that the people that booed a non Ranger during a ceromony for a beloved Ranger retiring, booed an XM exec because they love howard and therefore hate XM.

The other half, was following along because of a mob mentality...in a venue where they were not actually a mob, but people honoring a hero. Now, you have no proof they even booed...but you know WHY they booed.

I say, that according to statistics, probably no more than 10% could have been Howard listeners, and of that 10%, even less would be rabid enough to boo a fucking CEO...in actuality, I believe that IF THEY DID BOO, its because sports crowds ALWAYS boo corporate sponsors annoying fans during ceremonies.


Umm....YEAH, I do believe that I should do some sociology research before embarassing myself in the above argument



Go to any sporting event. Get about 10 percent of the given crowd (since that's what you claim is Stern fans), and have them start chanting something in unison. Or booing. Or even starting a wave.
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:36 PM
  #363  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 33,330
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jesus Christ, will you guys just grow up and stop this pointless bickering? It's annoying.
Bandoman is online now  
Old 01-13-06, 07:36 PM
  #364  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Posts: 10,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones



Go to any sporting event. Get about 10 percent of the given crowd (since that's what you claim is Stern fans), and have them start chanting something in unison. Or booing. Or even starting a wave.

So you AGREE that these posts are wrong...

NY is howard country....
My guess is half the Arena are Stern fans and the other half just went along.

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/foru...pic.php?t=35601
Well, Messier has been on Stern's show quite a few times. Not to say that the arena was anti-XM, but let's be honest. Most people in NY love howard, so it's not that hard to believe.
BTW, you made the last one.

SO, therefore, if you agree that those posts are wrong, and my whole reason for posting here was to point out that they were probably wrong...

then what the hell are you arguing with me about?





what?
Tommy Ceez is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:37 PM
  #365  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,114
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandoman
Jesus Christ, will you guys just grow up and stop this pointless bickering? It's annoying.
It's funny. This is a Sirius thread, isn't it?
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:38 PM
  #366  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 33,330
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
It's funny. This is a Sirius thread, isn't it?
It's supposed to be.
Bandoman is online now  
Old 01-13-06, 07:39 PM
  #367  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,114
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandoman
It's supposed to be.
Funny. I must've missed that in the title. Didn't Dead tell Steam to stay out of the last one? Maybe Tommy needs that reminder too.
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:41 PM
  #368  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Posts: 10,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Funny. I must've missed that in the title. Didn't Dead tell Steam to stay out of the last one? Maybe Tommy needs that reminder too.
your calling for the mods to remove me from the thread?

Is that what your doing?

Really?

You sure dude?

I posted a comment and you nagged me to death, like you always do. How is this my fault?
Tommy Ceez is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:48 PM
  #369  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,114
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
your calling for the mods to remove me from the thread?

Is that what your doing?

Really?

You sure dude?

I posted a comment and you nagged me to death, like you always do. How is this my fault?
Yeah. You don't have free will, bro.

You just can't resist the urge to come into these threads and rile everyone up. Stay to your stupid ass XM threads and we'll stay in here. Pretty simple solution.

Last edited by Deftones; 01-13-06 at 07:50 PM.
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:53 PM
  #370  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,777
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SHHHUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!! I'm sick of this fucking shit. That's why there is now a seperate xm thread. Jesus Fucking Christ.
Michael Ballack is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:53 PM
  #371  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The Money Pit
Posts: 8,165
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
your calling for the mods to remove me from the thread?

Is that what your doing?

Really?

You sure dude?

I posted a comment and you nagged me to death, like you always do. How is this my fault?
Personally I wish they would. It's fucking annoying as hell having to read past all your xm fanboy crap in this Sirius thread. There's an XM thread, why not just spout your opinions about XM and O&A there.
vaporware is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:56 PM
  #372  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,114
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
SHHHUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!! I'm sick of this fucking shit. That's why there is now a seperate xm thread. Jesus Fucking Christ.
Exactly. It's funny. Look at that new XM thread. Since everyone was warned, there's been a few posts in there from Sirius "people" but nothing major. Now look at this thread and see how many posts by just Steam and Tommy are in here alone.
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 08:32 PM
  #373  
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Awesome. The other village idiot has arrived.
...
Deftones, you know better than to make comment like this. If there are threadcraps, just report them. Personally attacking another forum member will only get *you* in trouble.
Dead is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.