Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Torn rotator cuff, or Tendonitis? Take your bets here!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-04-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been having some nasty shoulder/arm pain since August. It's one of those pains that is totally random. It can either throb all day, or it will twinge like a sackful of hot knives in my right bicep if I move my arm. It isn't consistent either. I can move my arm one way today and it won't hurt, but if I move it exactly the same way the next, it hurts like hell. Occasionally something happens where it's almost a crippling pain. Either way, when I move my arm it sounds like a cement mixer.

I finally went to the doctor and he sent me to an orthopedic surgeon who thinks it's either tendonitis or torn rotator cuff. He ruled out arthritis from looking at the xrays.

I was sent to get an MRI last week and will know the full story on Friday.

So place your bets. Will I have tendonitis and get a simple cortizone injection, or is it a torn rotator cuff that requires surgery?

As far as how I did it? Most likely work related, though it is very difficult to prove. I am by no means an athlete, so there is no way it is sport-related.
Old 01-04-06, 11:49 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm putting $20 on the rotator cuff. Sorry, foo.

I've had left shoulder pain for about 4 months, I have noidea how it happened. I think I keep sleeping on it wrong, but I really can't tell because, well, I'm asleep.

Edit: This thread should really be a poll.
Old 01-04-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

would a rotator cuff problem cause pain in his bicep though?
Old 01-04-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm betting rotator cuff. It might be a slight tear that could heal with PT instead of surgery. This happened to my sister. She tore her rotator cuff by painting her ceilings. Hurry up and get it healed so you'll be capable of taking a swing at the motorcycle thief during his trial.
Old 01-04-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In a related story, my right wrist has been really hurting lately. I think i need to get out more.
Old 01-04-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I'm putting $20 on the rotator cuff. Sorry, foo.

I've had left shoulder pain for about 4 months, I have noidea how it happened. I think I keep sleeping on it wrong, but I really can't tell because, well, I'm asleep.

Edit: This thread should really be a poll.
I agree with Bando on all counts.

He's so dreamy . . .
Old 01-04-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The question is HOW did she hurt her shoulder last August?

I had bruised tendonitis in my shoulder from adult slow-pitch softball few years ago. I guess I'll bet on rotator cuff.
Old 01-04-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by skiblet
In a related story, my right wrist has been really hurting lately. I think i need to get out more.
Well, if you didn't keep telling your girlfriends how trashy their families are, you wouldn't have an aching wrist.
Old 01-04-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a vet tech. I restrain animals. Sometimes large dogs. Dogs that potentially outweigh me. Even a dog half your weight is going to be a strong animal. I've been thrown around by some large dogs; rottweilers, pitbulls, great danes, and the like.

The other possibility is repetitive motion injury from cleaning kennels.
Old 01-04-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No poll?
Old 01-04-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mllefoo
I'm a vet tech. I restrain animals. Sometimes large dogs. Dogs that potentially outweigh me. Even a dog half your weight is going to be a strong animal. I've been thrown around by some large dogs; rottweilers, pitbulls, great danes, and the like.

The other possibility is repetitive motion injury from cleaning kennels.
Wow... that can bang up your shoulder. When I got deep bruised tendonitis, it took me a month to get better. But you have been hurting since August it must be pretty serious injury - torn tendonitis or torn rotator cuff. I can see why your doctor sends you to orthopedic surgeon to get definite answer.

My money still on torn rotator cuff.
Old 01-04-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a slight tear in my left rotator cuff. After a year of therapy it still felt like a knife twisting in my shoulder. I got a cortizone shot (back in the days when they used knitting needles for that!). Although the needle going into me and then digging around to find bone was the worst pain I have ever gone through, as soon as they injected the cortizon the pain went away instantly. My shoulder has been pain-free for 17 years now.
Old 01-04-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Frozen Shoulder
Old 01-08-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well y'all lost your bets. It's tendonitis and bursitis and a bone spur that digs into the tendon when I move my arm.

I will likely have surgery to shave the bone spur, but at least my rotator cuff isn't torn. Evidently, I was born with the bone spur and it took all this time to finally make itself known. Stupid bone.