Reload this Page >

Howard Stern's Midwest replacement "Rover" is a trainwreck

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-04-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I caught this jackass this morning and was strangely fascinated.

He may be the worst radio host ever to air a show:

-incredibly fake and instantly irritating "hey, how you doin' there, buddy!" radio voice. He honestly sounds like a parody of your typical "Z100 wacky morning zoo radio guy".

-annoying equally fake female cohost with a mallrat voice constantly interjecting obvious, cornball statements that rely on audience ignorance to be funny

-same ol' content that's been covered by Stern for the last twenty years (strip clubs etc) except covered in only completely obvious ways with a total lack of originality or honesty.

-awful songs interjected into the proceedings that Rover KEEPS FRIGGEN TALKING OVER. This may be the most annoying thing a host can do in radiodom: if you're going to play a track (usually something outdated like STP in Rover's case), PLAY THE TRACK, don't talk over it saying stuff like "Rover's Morning Mix!", "Yeah!" etc.

-he manages to rip off Mancow's (who I also hate) most annoying trait: constant editing, constant sound effect, ADD-addled pacing. Lots of fake ass "hey, people, lets keep it light, bright and tight!" type crap.

Awful, awful stuff. It represents a compendium of the worst possible radio traits I can think of. It will probably be a hit.
Old 01-04-06, 08:49 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We get Daid Lee Roth on the east coast. Terrible. Simply awful.
Old 01-04-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

""""He may be the worst radio host ever to air a show""""

no,that would be David Lee Roth,quite possibly the worst radio iv ever heard.

it was a slow day for me monday so i called in and told the intern that DLR sucks,he laughed as to say,i know and hung up!
Old 01-04-06, 09:25 AM

Yeah heard a little Roth today too, and it was so bad, it made me order a sirius radio today, my wife had already got one ha.
Old 01-04-06, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't imagine DLR being as bad as everyone is making him out to be. I'm not out East, so I haven't heard him.

What's his show like? What makes him so bad?
Old 01-04-06, 09:29 AM

Ohhhh David Lee is the WORST!!! I turned him on yesterday to see what he sounded like and he was talking real fast - spewing out all his EMT certifications (This went on for like 5 minutes).

Everyone at work was talking about how bad he was (no one listened for more than 10 minutes)

EDIT: I just talked to one of my coworkers who said that today he was yammering on about some gun control or gun safety.

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 01-04-06 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-04-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was going to start a thread on Stern replacement shows but this will do.

I DL and listened to Carolla's show. It wasn't that bad, pretty good for a first show. He has the standard morning zoo setup, including a hot chick and a sidekick with a terminal case of fake radio voice. However, Carolla himself is far too laid back to do the high energy morning zoo bit, so the show wasn't as bad as the setup would suggest.
Old 01-04-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I listened to him too to give him a chance. Just awful. Thank goodness for both my xm and sirius units. Terrestrial radio just flat out stinks.
Old 01-04-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With a wacky radio name like Rover, how can he not be great?

I haven't listened to Roth yet, and I don't see myself making any effort to do so. I would rather have Corolla. Shoot, I'd rather listen to Soupy Sales than Roth.
Old 01-04-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Personally, I'd rather listen to the golden comedy recordings of Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, and Eddie Murphy.
Old 01-04-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
DLR is SO bad, that I was trying to listen just for the 'trainwreck' factor, and couldnt....it was that boring
Old 01-04-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I couldn't get past 10 minutes of Rover.
I think I'm a few decades past his apparent target audience.

In Chicago, the return of Jonathon Brandmeier is working for me in the morning. Yeah, it's the same old same old schtick he was doing before, but I find myself cracking up on a regular basis.

I was a regular Stern listener - not a diehard, just a listener - but those last few self-serving, self-congratulatory months, with his "poor persecuted me" act, was simply horrible. I found myself listening less and less, until I had already found something else to occupy my drive well before his final days. Kind of like a nicotine patch. Regardless of his replacement in Chicago (who I don't listen to) Stern's departure couldn't have come soon enough for me.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 01-04-06 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-04-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I was a regular Stern listener - not a diehard, just a listener - but those last few self-serving, self-congratulatory months, with his "poor persecuted me" act, was simply horrible. I found myself listening less and less, until I had already found something else to occupy my drive well before his final days. Regardless of his replacement in Chicago (who I don't listen to) Stern's departure couldn't have come soon enough for me.
I completely agree with all of that.

Also, here's the official Infinity picture of Rover:

This picture tells you all you need to know about him. He's absolutely wild and out-of-control! He's burying the needle, man! Wooooo!
Old 01-04-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow... i tried to give a David lee a chance this morning and it was so bad.... NYC stations suck but adding DAVID lee to the mix now is worse..

even his commercials suck too... He gave the commercial for P-touch and it was so bad....

Funny line of the morning was from a caller " Man David, you freaking suck"... David said " Yeah i guess"....

It almost sounds like Jeff Goldblum in the morning....
Old 01-04-06, 10:14 AM

DLR never had a radio show before right? How could execs just up and give him a morning show?
Old 01-04-06, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Streaming DLR for those curious:

http://www.david.freefm.com/
Old 01-04-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
It almost sounds like Jeff Goldblum in the morning....
That... that would totally rock!!!

Jeff Goldblum: Let's see here, ah, yes, we're going to be going to... yes, my producer is doing the finger thing, okay, three, yes, ah, it looks like we're going to... yes... we're talking a call on line three, um, hello caller, you're on Goldblum in the Morning, and yes, I am, ah, Jeff Goldblum.

Caller: Yeah, hey, could you play somethin' by Skynner?

Jeff Goldblum: Hmm. Yes. Well, let me see, now, how to best explain this... okay, ah, imagine, if you will, that this entire thing, you know, this "radio" thing, is, umm, sort of like a great big spaceship, okay? And we're all travelling around... no -- wait -- we're, umm, zooming, got it, you know, between the planets? And imagine that you are, ah, a tree, okay? And your song request is like a jelly donut.

Caller: (pause, then uncertain) Uh, okay...

Jeff Goldblum: What I'm trying to say, ah, is that, you know, in a way, err, we're all, you know, um, objects. Do you see? Nouns, participles, context and structure and sound and light and color. See? You see? Okay? And so this show, this whole... radio show, it's like... one... big... ah, wait, I see my producer is giving me another sign, wait, I know this one. He's making a big circle, slower, no, faster, faster, ah, now it's a chopping... thing, a striking... wrist, wrist, clock on the wall... oh, okay, looks like it's time for a break. A, uh, commercial. But, ah, caller, thank you for your call. I think that went very well, that whole, ah, interaction. And we'll be back. This is Goldblum in the morning, and I am, ah, um, you know... Jeff Goldblum.
Old 01-04-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I read, he kept talking about the bullshit of he & Van Halen re-forming. He insinuated that it was definitely going to happen. Horsecrap, he can't keep from irritating everyone around him. He reminds me of Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite. He just can't quit living in the past.
Old 01-04-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
In Chicago, the return of Jonathon Brandmeier is working for me in the morning. Yeah, it's the same old same old schtick he was doing before, but I find myself cracking up on a regular basis.
I used to listen to Johhny B along with Steve Dahl, Kevin Matthews, Mike North, etc. I just feel that guys like Johnny B and Dahl are way past their prime and are just going through the motions everyday. Not to mention way too many commercials. I have both Satelite companies and trust me on this, at least get one of them. You won't go back to regular radio at all.
Old 01-04-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who's taking over in DC? The Junkies?
Old 01-04-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The Adam Carolla show wasn't that great. Got to listen to about an hour. The thing about Adam is he's good when he's either ranting and raving about something or he's dealing with callers. Neither was present when I was listening to him last night.
Old 01-04-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Who's taking over in DC? The Junkies?

Yup. I'm not a big fan of there morning routine. They are great as a night time show but there act in the morning is just weak and watered down.
Old 01-04-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm actually liking Adam Carolla quite a bit. He's not great by any stretch of the imagination, but his show is definitely entertaining. Makes for excellent background noise here at work.

And I agree wholeheartedly about the last few months of Stern and his "woe is me" antics. Nigh unlistenable, if you ask me.
Old 01-04-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got bored with Stern a few years ago but tuned in on occasion to see if things had gotten better. I wish him well in the new format. I've always loved Carolla on Love Line but didn't immediately care for his new morning gig (sidekicks bothered me a lot). Being in SoCal, I get to bounce between Adam, Kevin & Bean, and Mark & Brian (yeah, people still listen to Mark & Brian...). Good to have choice!
Old 01-04-06, 11:48 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by NCmojo
Jeff Goldblum: Let's see here, ah, yes, we're going to be going to... yes, my producer is doing the finger thing, okay, three, yes, ah, it looks like we're going to... yes... we're talking a call on line three, um, hello caller, you're on Goldblum in the Morning, and yes, I am, ah, Jeff Goldblum.

Caller: Yeah, hey, could you play somethin' by Skynner?

Jeff Goldblum: Hmm. Yes. Well, let me see, now, how to best explain this... okay, ah, imagine, if you will, that this entire thing, you know, this "radio" thing, is, umm, sort of like a great big spaceship, okay? And we're all travelling around... no -- wait -- we're, umm, zooming, got it, you know, between the planets? And imagine that you are, ah, a tree, okay? And your song request is like a jelly donut.

Caller: (pause, then uncertain) Uh, okay...

Jeff Goldblum: What I'm trying to say, ah, is that, you know, in a way, err, we're all, you know, um, objects. Do you see? Nouns, participles, context and structure and sound and light and color. See? You see? Okay? And so this show, this whole... radio show, it's like... one... big... ah, wait, I see my producer is giving me another sign, wait, I know this one. He's making a big circle, slower, no, faster, faster, ah, now it's a chopping... thing, a striking... wrist, wrist, clock on the wall... oh, okay, looks like it's time for a break. A, uh, commercial. But, ah, caller, thank you for your call. I think that went very well, that whole, ah, interaction. And we'll be back. This is Goldblum in the morning, and I am, ah, um, you know... Jeff Goldblum.

Nicely done.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.