Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

3 weeks in Japan, any must do sites?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-04-06, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife and I are planning a 3 week trip to Japan late March into April. Besides the Kyoto and Tokyo anyone have any must see places or side trips?
We read there may be a Sumo tournament in Osaka that I'd love to see.
Also hotels/resturants that were reasonable that we should check out would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-06, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you can afford it take a flight to Hokkaido and rent a car there and travel through the mountains. My wife is from there and it's a very beautiful place and has become my favorite destination when I go there.
Old 01-04-06, 04:48 AM
Suspended

Visit the war memorials in Hiroshima. Quite the experience.
Old 01-04-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by palebluedot
If you can afford it take a flight to Hokkaido and rent a car there and travel through the mountains. My wife is from there and it's a very beautiful place and has become my favorite destination when I go there.
You don't want to do this now. It is snowing and cold like a muufugga there I bet. Go to Kobe. It's a cute city. Check out Hiroshima and go to the A-bomb site. I really like Osaka, especially the shin-Osaka or "new" Osaka area. If you are into history and stuff, Himeji is pretty sweet too.
Old 01-04-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pachinko parlor. You will thank me later.
Old 01-04-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I was going to Japan, I would have to make a pilgrimage to the Iron Chefs' restaurants.
Old 01-04-06, 11:38 AM

We're doing the same thing (Tokyo Area/Kyoto) in Oct/Nov. Make sure and hit Roppongi or Shinjuku for the nightlife. If you want to see something interesting, hit Kappabashi. It's a whole street that sells kitchen equpment, but mostly they sell those plastic food models you see in restaurant windows- very cool. You can buy a plastic food anything. And of course go to Akihabara for electronics.
Old 01-04-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Buy lots of girl's underwear from vending machines.
Old 01-04-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At random moments, look up, point and yell "Gojira!!!!" to see if the towns people start running.
Old 01-04-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are going to be in Kyoto, take a side trip to Nara. Tons of cool temples and old buildings there, and the whole town is overrun by deer (they are very famous there, you can feed them and everything). When in Tokyo, make sure to take the train to Shibuya (the sights: all the people, huge TV screens on buildings, the big intersection outside the station that is always shown in TV shows/movies involving Japan, etc. are amazing). I also second the recommendation to Akihabara (it's a very convinient train ride there when you are in Tokyo) for the shopping (electronics, videos, hobby stuff) but your wife may prefer shopping in the fashionable Ginza district (also easy to get to when you are in Tokyo)

The time you are going will be perfect for viewing the cherry blossoms. There are festivals for that all over Japan at that time of year, and there would probably be many good places to go to see them (I've never been in Japan at that time of year yet, so I'm not sure where the best places are for viewing).

You should have no problems finding reasonably priced restaurants, they are everywhere. The cool thing is that when you are walking around, you can see the menu, prices, and plastic replicas of the food outside all the restaurants, so you have an idea what to expect (especially price wise) without even having to go inside.
Old 01-04-06, 12:45 PM
Banned

Talk to a local and find out where the buffets with alcohol are.

They have buffets with amazing food and alcohol is included in the buffet. The food isn't like buffets here but like food you would get if you went to a place and ordered it.

When I went they had beer or you they had shot dispencers of different fruity alcohol that you would mix with seltzer water. This way as you got more and more drunk, you could add more alcohol to your drink. I'm sure you could imagine the results.

Try McDonalds. Every month they have a new burger-of-the-month and I love the burgers over there so much more than over here. If you have kids then get a kids meal. Last year they had Pixar toys in them for a while that were really nice.

Hit department and electronic stores for stuff that we don't have yet for cheaper than the high end stuff we do have.

I lived there for 3 years and had a blast.
Old 01-04-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably this site? http://www.pokemon.com/
Old 01-04-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't forget to check out MosBurger - the teriyaki burger is
Old 01-04-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go to a hot spring!!!
Old 01-04-06, 04:15 PM

The Studio Ghibli (Miyazaki) Museum in Tokyo is worth the trip all in itself. You have to get tickets ahead of time - they limit the admissions to make it tolerable.
Old 01-04-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whaaat
Don't forget to check out MosBurger - the teriyaki burger is
Oh yeah, Mos Burger is the best! I'm a huge fan of their shrimp burgers. But besides that, they have tons of other great stuff on their menu too. If you need to hit a fast food place in Japan, make it Mos Burger
Old 01-05-06, 02:57 AM

Thanks for the ideas, wondering if anyone has been to the traditional baths? curious as to what to expect and if it is worth trying out. I am not a huge fan of bathing with strangers but thought I heard this was a unique cultural experience and I have no problem being nude arond others.
Old 01-05-06, 09:17 AM
Banned

McDonalds used to have a teriyaki burger with egg that was the burger of the month. Then then added it to the menu but without the egg.

I thought it was better with the egg but I still took it without. Then I come to the US and they put pineapple on instead of the egg. What gives?