Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

NY airport / taxi question

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-03-06, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying into Newark airport tomorrow afternoon, and have a little over 3 hours to get to JFK carrying 25kg of luggage. I'm probably going to catch a cab.

Now i've never caught a NY bad before and heard lots of bad things about them, including that if you speak with a foreign accent (im australian) and are going from the airport, you can expect to get ripped off big time.

I'm planning to ask for a fixed quote on a far to JFK. What would be a reasnoable price? And once we agree on a price should I add a tip to that?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-03-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A few thoughts:

Newark is in New Jersey, you will not be taking a New York City cab.

You need to get over your anti-New York bias. I was taken for a ride in Florence, Italy. I know lots of people taken for a ride in Las Vegas, there are lots of places you can be taken for a ride.

Do go flat rate and be prepared to pay about 100 bucks. I did that trip once and that is around what I paid. I also did it on meter and paid around that much. Tolls won't be included. Ask the guy how much to JFK before entering the cab. If you don't like his answer, catch another cab. You are in control when you're outside of the cab, he has the upper hand if you get inside.

I don't add a tip to flat rate.
Old 01-03-06, 09:26 AM

to OP:

I just googled Newark Shuttle and you could make reservations HERE

for 24 bucks American dollars of course.

Good luck mate
Old 01-03-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrtaxiframe.html

New York City / Manhattan
Conveying one (1) or more passengers to any one point in New York City, Excluding Tolls.

Battery -- West 58th Street.....$40.00

West 35th Street -- West 58th Street.....$45.00

West 59th Street -- West 109th Street.....$50.00

West 110th Street -- West 185th Street.....$55.00

Above 185th Street.....$60.00

LaGuardia Airport.....$65.00

J.F.K. Int'l. Airport.....$75.00

Additional $5.00 charge for all destinations on the east side of Manhattan between Battery Park and 185th Street.

For that price, you should just arrange for a car service to pick you up in the terminal...then again...that is a fuckin HIKE!

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 01-03-06 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-03-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The shuttle is relatively painless and cheap....however they aren't the quickest nor most reliable (with leaving on time). Your layover time should be fine though if you chose the shuttle. A car service would be more expensive, but more reliable. Taxis are pretty much a screwing, and a car service would be as much or less.....and it'd be there for YOU, and you wouldn't have to wait for a taxi.

-p