Reload this Page >

Roommate/friend owes me money now what?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-01-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 years ago almost to the day I loaned a friend of mine $400.00. At the time we had been friends for 7 or 8 years. My parents gave me $400.00 for xmas that year to put towards a new computer. While hanging out with him one day after xmas, he was about to take off and I asked what he was up to. He told me he was going to an Amscot or something similar to get a cash advance to cover some bills. I offered to loan him the money knowing I wasn't planning on using it immediately. A month or two goes by and I ask him for it and he says he doesn't have it. I let it go since we are friends and still hanging out. Now fast forward several months to June 2004 and their lease is about to end on their apartment. At this time I need roommates, so he and his wife and one of our friends moves into my 4br/3bath house. Before moving in I again bring up the issue about money and he says again he doesn't have it and will get it to me. Fast forward a couple of months again I bring it up and still he doesn't have it. At this point over other reasons we have a falling out. They still live in the house but we no longer talk. Again I bring up the issue and I am told all I care about is money.

Mind you during this time he has bought:
new home theater reciever and speakers
new car stereo
new subwoofer
new speaker box
new amplifier
new bow
new cold air intake
new gym membership

Now that it has officially been two years I can't decide what to do. While my rent is not expensive the bills add up so I am unsure if I really want to kick them out. I realize I will most likely never see my money, but at this point it still drives me nuts. I also hate looking for roommates, but I am also getting to the point I hate living with them. So any ideas?

Even better I know things that have been confided in me back when we were friends that could be extremely detrimental if they got out, yet he seems to have no problem screwing me over.
Old 01-01-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
So any ideas?
You mean besides never loaning money to a friend...
Old 01-01-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whenever he decides to move out and still hasn't paid you back, you throw in the $400 as a "concession charge due back" or something like that on the lease termination contract.
Old 01-01-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kick him in the nuts.
Old 01-01-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Michael Corleone said it best

"Friends and money, oil and water."
Old 01-01-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Raise his rent 400 bucks a month
Old 01-01-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

steal $400 worth of his things.
Old 01-01-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk God

its only $400.. and its a friend you are falling out with (granted, its probably because of the money)..

whats more important, the friendship or the money?

its been 2 years now.. sounds like you have to chose.. doesnt sound like you get both

if you chose friendship.. you probably have to just write off the money.. dont think about it.. and stop letting it bother you so much.. its really not a huge deal, especially after that timespan

call it a $400 life lesson
Old 01-01-06, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
Michael Corleone said it best

"Friends and money, oil and water."
^Family members too.

Sorry dude, you're not going to see that money for a long time, if ever. Best if you just write it off as a hard lesson learned. I know $400 isn't chump change, but I guess what you should ask yourself is, is it worth the aggravation? Maybe even at the cost of your 9-10 year friendship?
Old 01-01-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If he hasn't paid you back already he wasn't a real friend anyway. Fuck your "friendship" and get your money back.
Old 01-01-06, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
If he hasn't paid you back already he wasn't a real friend anyway. Fuck your "friendship" and get your money back.

A real friend would do what it takes to get your money back.
Old 01-01-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Do other people know about the loan? In that they have heard him acknowledge it? If so, go to small claims. But boot him first. No excuse to be able to buy crap when you owe a bud $400.

Blackmail him if necessary.
Old 01-01-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Is he paying month-to-month?

Change the lease to add a $400 non-refundable deposit payable via 4 $100 payments.
Old 01-01-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alien Redrum

A real friend would do what it takes to get your money back.
Which is exactly how I feel. I did already give up on the friendship mainly because after not hanging out with them, I realized all the crap they did that I hated. Amazingly enough the friend of theirs that had moved in, moved out to live with her boyfriend a little bit ago. She no longer talks to them either for most of the same reasons.

If you don't do things on their schedule they don't want to hang out.
They have no problem making you late, but if they ask if you want to go somewhere you better be ready to go when they are even when they don't bother to tell you when they are going. Or they ask you as they are walking out the door.
There are a ton of other issues but I don't have all night.

EDIT:
Unfortunately I don't think he has ever admitted the money owed in front of other people. At this point I don't even think his wife knows he owes me money. And yes it is a month to month verbal rental agreement for rent. Rent was already raised once since they started paying me later and later each month and it is my father's house and he was tired of not getting his rent on time.

Last edited by innocentfreak; 01-01-06 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-01-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Again I bring up the issue and I am told all I care about is money.

The battle cry of the leeching loser.

My ideas:

1. Take him to small claims court.

2. Forget the $400, and kick him out of your place. First do an inventory of the condition of their living area, so you can nail him in court if he damages your house.

3. Tell him you need the $400 or he has to leave. Give him about 2-4 weeks to come up with it.
Old 01-01-06, 11:11 PM

move on in life and get new friends... that chapter has passed!
Old 01-01-06, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fuck his wife. And video tape it.
Old 01-01-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by johnglass
I don't want revenge on me, but on him lol. Well she isn't that bad, but not something I would want to fuck.

It would be so much easier if I had roommates lined up to move in. This is really what holds me back. As much as he owes me money he has paid his rent. I don't worry about my stuff getting broken or stolen, but then again who knows what will happen when I finally do kick them out. So as much as I don't trust him, I trust them more than I would a stranger living with me.
Old 01-01-06, 11:55 PM

Mind you during this time he has bought:
new home theater reciever and speakers
new car stereo
new subwoofer
new speaker box
new amplifier
new bow
new cold air intake
new gym membership
Wait for him to leave one day and pawn that shit.
Old 01-02-06, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by johnglass

That's a good plan.
Old 01-02-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, he's never going to pay you the $400 without a hassle. Also, it's obvious if you force him to give you the money, the friendship is totally over.

Do you need the money now? If you do, tell him you do. Even mention, without threatening, the secret stuff you know about him.

If you don't need the money, you may want to forget about it and always remember the experience when you are tempted to lend another friend money.
Old 01-02-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Basically Twikoff was right...If he was a real good friend, chock it up to an expensive lesson and let it go. If he wasnt then do what you gotta do to get it back, and realize that the friendship isnt going to happen. Basically in these situations, there is no lending money to close friends or family. If you want to give it to them, thats one thing, but never lend it.
Old 01-02-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You still consider him a friend ? Are you that hard up ? He used you, he obviously isn't financially responsible, kick his ass out.... but you could try the rent increase to get some money back. Say $100/month due to property taxes or something like that... either you'll get some money or he'll leave.
Hope you learned a lesson... don't lend money to a friend that you aren't prepared to lose...and never lend money to someone who has money problems.
Old 01-02-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
So true. This would never be an issue with good friends. Good friends don't fuck friends like that.
Old 01-02-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Small claims. There's no way he's going to pay you back without being forced to.

No friend tells you you are all about the money when they owe you $400

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.