Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I know you hate those Christmas Card 'letters', but...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-31-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I hated them too. They were all about achievement, and how good was done during the year, and how much was accomplished.

Geez.

But now, as I get older, I get Christmas letters that also describe endings - the death of a husband, or a parent, or how something didn't go as planned.

Maybe it really is all a cycle. And these Christmas letters may be a pain, but, when you get to the 'right' point (or wrong point, I guess), they describe the rest of the story - and it isn't ALL gooey peace and wonderment. --- It's just life.

At least, that's how I'm seeing it these days.

You? Depending on your age, you may just be getting the stick your finger in your mouth gag me with a spoon letters - but there IS more than that - maybe unfortunately, I dunno.

Just some thoughts as I'm reading all the Christmas stuff I got after being out of town for 3 weeks.
Old 12-31-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand the hate for Christmas letters. I can understand why some are hated: some are too long (I once received a very boring 5-page Christmas letter from someone I didn't even know that well), some are just "bragging letters", etc.

But usually letters I get are kinda nice. I get updates about friends and family that I might not have known about if I didn't get their letter.
Old 12-31-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried to write one but what the hell would I say? I lost the battle of windows with my husband and had foot surgery. Woo-fucking-hoo....fun year for me.
Old 12-31-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My feeling about these letters: If I wanted to know about what happened to you during the year, I'd already know.
Old 12-31-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
I tried to write one but what the hell would I say? I lost the battle of windows with my husband and had foot surgery. Woo-fucking-hoo....fun year for me.
meh, yea i know what you mean
but when it gets too mundane, you can just open a bottle of durex and drink your blues away
Old 12-31-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twikoff
but when it gets too mundane, you can just open a bottle of durex and drink your blues away

Old 12-31-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk God

cb
you must have missed the "Im not new" thread?
Old 12-31-05, 10:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't like them when they're not personalized and handwritten to me. To me, a generic "here's what my/our live/lives was/were this year" letter is about as bad as sending a Christmas card just signed with your name.

As much as I dislike having to go through the effort of writing something personal to each person on my list, I think if they're on my list they deserve a little better than a form letter copied for everyone.
Old 12-31-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

cb
you must have missed the "Im not new" thread?
Context is a terrible thing to waste.

[pegs context in the nuts with a cracker]
Old 12-31-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Context is a terrible thing to waste.

[pegs context in the nuts with a cracker]

Shall I bump it again??
Old 01-01-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by X
I don't like them when they're not personalized and handwritten to me. To me, a generic "here's what my/our live/lives was/were this year" letter is about as bad as sending a Christmas card just signed with your name.

As much as I dislike having to go through the effort of writing something personal to each person on my list, I think if they're on my list they deserve a little better than a form letter copied for everyone.
Fellow Forum Member. What you've said I agree with whole-heartedly; your viewpoint is great and insightful. No wonder you're such a popular contributor here.
Old 01-01-06, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never knew 'Christmas Card Letters' existed until about a month ago when a new friend of mine told me he was writing one out.

I looked at him with a questionable look when he told me and replied: 'Christmas letter? What the HELL is that?' - and then I realized/guessed that poor people like me from the South don't do X-Mas letters.
Old 01-01-06, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bacon, how dare you not have every thread committed to memory! Let's try to do better in 2006.

As for letters, I haven't done one but I don't mind getting one. As long as it's just a brief update and not several pages of somebody bragging about how their life is so much better than mine. This past summer at a family reunion, I saw some cousins that I haven't seen in years, since I was a kid. I sent them a card and they sent me a card with a quick update. Now, I'm good for another 20 years.
Old 01-01-06, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's always good to have some around for when you get seriously boned at work.
Old 01-01-06, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Man, some of you seem like real downers.

I like reading the Xmas letters I get from family and friends because, to be honest, I DON'T know every single thing that happened to them in a given year. I've got a family of my own, a busy job and I don't spend hours talking to my friends and family about their lives. So these little insights into their year, with funny stories or sad moments or whatever, are just what I need to catch up on the things I missed out on.

I don't live near my family and it's hard to see our friends on a regular basis with a 2 year old and a 2 week old in the house...and the only ones with kids in our group.

So I say keep 'em coming, because I like reading them.
Old 01-01-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Originally Posted by X

I try to have a letter that is typewritten, but then put something personal for each person in addition. But that way I don't have to write the same stuff over and over.
Old 01-01-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like getting them. I don't really keep up with everyone, so it's interesting to me to hear what's going on with them, good or bad.
Old 01-01-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
My feeling about these letters: If I wanted to know about what happened to you during the year, I'd already know.
If you really wanted me to know what happened to you during the last year, you would have shared it with me back when it happened.
Old 01-01-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
If you really wanted me to know what happened to you during the last year, you would have shared it with me back when it happened.
Not really. I don't feel the need to call my Aunt in Louisianna to let her know that little Billy just entered Kindergarten.... but she might like to know this Christmas, so I'll share it with her then.
Old 01-01-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

As for letters, I haven't done one but I don't mind getting one. As long as it's just a brief update and not several pages of somebody bragging about how their life is so much better than mine.
I think the happy medium is a personalized card with a short 'update'. When I visit my family I flip through their cards/letters and get caught up on a variety of friends in a very quick amount of time.

My parents started doing one a few years ago, but they keep it relatively short (<1 page), and to the point.

-p
Old 01-02-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I have to agree because the people I get those letters from are the people that I really don't talk to.

The couple that I got was included in a christmas card that wasn't signed.
Old 01-03-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of my ex-girlfriends used to write these letters. I used to feel bad because I was never mentioned in any of them. I also wondered if she mentioned getting dumped by me that Christmas...
Old 01-03-06, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

I normally like them, they keep people up to date, specially those we are not very close to. But some of them give the rest of the letters a bad name.

And I got one today.

It mentions of course the many awards of the children, the trips,.... and the new HD TV.
Old 01-04-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would feel like I was just bragging about myself. Everything would start with "I", or something similar. My life is going pretty good at the moment, nothing bad to speak of. No wife or kids to break up the monotony. I think my parents include me in the few they send out, though.

And, in all honesty, I'm with TracerBullett. The people I don't talk to semi-regularly, I apparently don't care enough to want to know what they are doing.
Old 01-04-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you're not close enough to these people to know that little Jimmy just started kindergarten this year, why the hell do you suddenly care come Christmas?

Christmas letters are usually exercises in masturbatory self-congratulation. People must think that you really want to know about them, but for some reason just haven't been able to pick up the phone for the last 365 days and inquire, so you're going to get it forced on you whether you like it or not. In my opinion, they're created to make the sender feel like more people care that much about them than really do.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.