Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So, I'd like to rent from you and I'm a Christian. Think I'll build a deck, too.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

So, I'd like to rent from you and I'm a Christian. Think I'll build a deck, too.

Old 12-30-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did I mention I was a Christian? Christian artist, actually. God Bless you. I can tell you're an okay person. Do you mind if I put in a garden? Think I'll spend my own money and paint as well. That's what we Christians do. You're cool. I sense that. Rent? That's my number one priority being a Christian. I'm not late with rent, nosiree!

UGH! You would not believe how often people do this. They bend over backwards to tell you they are a Christian. Or they bend over backwards to tell you what they are going to do to improve the property. None of them ever smoke (or only outdoors) and no one has pets. Then they move in and they worship Satan while smoking with their pitbull.

I always wonder if they think I believe them. You don't really have to butter me up to get me to rent to you. I take chances on people. I let single mothers slide on rent without late fees. I want to help people. But don't blow smoke up my ass (unless I'm paying hard earned money for it).

You had me at "where's the ATM?" (tear)
Old 12-30-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
"where's the ATM?" (tear)
ass to mouth?

Probably the adult forum.
Old 12-30-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by nevermind
ass to mouth?
Old 12-30-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to make a sign and put it at the rental location.

1) Christian? I'm agnostic. Your money goes to the devil or little midget people who live on Mars for all I know.

2) You sense I'm a cool person? That's great. I'm flattered. Really. However, does God let people who are cool avoid judgment? 'Nuff said on that one.

3) You're going to fix up the place yourself and even use your own money to do it--because that's what Godly People do. Well, once again I'm flattered, but my job is being a landlord. I have more connections than you. However, if you do speak to God, ask him how to remove that skanky shitty greasy crap off the oven that Baby Jesus Tenants ALWAYS leave behind! He needs to share in this responsibility.

4) Welcome! I look forward to being your landlord.
Old 12-30-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Then they move in and they worship Satan while smoking with their pitbull.
Old 12-30-05, 06:54 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
See, this is the problem with Christians and the Wretched Christian Sympathisers that inhabit this board!

Old 12-30-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do they know that you are Christian, or do they just think that it sells well in general?

Though I should admit, I picked my current heating and air company because they aren't just a company, they're a ministry, too. I figured there was a greater chance they'd just rip me off legitimately without ripping me off illegitimately.
Old 12-30-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bushdog
Do they know that you are Christian, or do they just think that it sells well in general?

Though I should admit, I picked my current heating and air company because they aren't just a company, they're a ministry, too. I figured there was a greater chance they'd just rip me off legitimately without ripping me off illegitimately.
My honest belief is that they just say it thinking it is a good line to use. I don't think they necessarily know that I am. It isn't a secret, but this is generally when we first meet, and I generally don't include that in my greeting.
Old 12-30-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Hi I love Christ and my name is Dog-Killer Slumlord Dave. And you are?"
Old 12-30-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd be more distrustful of people like that. If they're buttering me up, it's for a reason.
Old 12-30-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bushdog
"Hi I love Christ and my name is Dog-Killer Slumlord Dave. And you are?"
It doesn't come across well when you're sarcastic
Old 12-30-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I usually let my landlords know that I am Roman Catholic and will be setting up a regional cabal in the name of the Pope in my living room.
Old 12-30-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ahhh Dave, if only you had posted earlier.... I just put down $$ elsewhere. I'll keep ya in mind next time around.

Old 12-30-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Same as the line in Les Miserables when the 'bad guys' say "It's just what good Christians must do."

As with anything - all lines can be abused, and abused badly.
Old 12-30-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I usually let my landlords know that I am Roman Catholic and will be setting up a regional cabal in the name of the Pope in my living room.
I was just going to say that I hope no one tells Dave that they are Catholic when they first meet him.
Old 12-30-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My friend was just telling me about a story that her realtor friend told her. The realtor had almost completed everything on a sale and then the people that were selling to him checked over the paper and realized that he did the paperwork on a Sunday. They called the sale off and refused to sell to him, even after he offered $8000 more, because they felt he wasn't a decent Christian man...craziness!

I know it's not the same thing, but it's close enough that I'm posting it here.
Old 12-30-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's nuts. Were they buying or renting? If it was renting, I'd be glad I got a chance to see how different the landlord was. Better to get those things out of the way immediate IMO.
Old 12-31-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
If you rented to my wife and me you'd get: no smoking, no drinking, no pets, no kids, no loud music, nothing to kill or die for and no religion too.

Sounds like landlord heaven. Imagine there's no heaven. It's easy if you try. I'll stop now.
Old 12-31-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movielib
If you rented to my wife and me you'd get: no smoking, no drinking, no pets, no kids, no loud music, nothing to kill or die for and no religion too.
Man, you atheists are some dull people.
Old 12-31-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Man, you atheists are some dull people.
Well, there are the goat sacrifices.
Old 12-31-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I HATE people who feel the need to tell everyone that they are (fill in religion here). It is one thing to be proud of your religion, it is another thing to use it as some sort of badge and/or explaination to how you are as a person. Most 'real' christians I know don't need to profess it, they just live it.

-p
Old 12-31-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just reply... Great, we don't discriminate, so let's see how that credit report looks and if the references check out and you may just have a new place to live.

I despise people do that. If you have to bring it up immediately, I'm suspect.

I also think it's wrong to advertise being a Christian. I've crossed paths with many deceitful "Christians" who start up a business, use the fish symbol* in their ads, business cards, magnetic signs, etc and expect the world to "forgive" them when they screw you over. I had a personal experience with this with a maintenance company that did work for us and they stole & lied to us. We even had a tenant do the same thing and trashed one of our rentals & left town.

Trust me.. use the above statement and it will be in your best interest! Incidentally, I've had many great Christian tenants and never knew about it until the mentioned it later or I saw them in Church.

Old 12-31-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Like I said, I take chances and rent to people most wouldn't. This will work out, or it won't.
Old 12-31-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like I said, I take chances and rent to people most wouldn't. This will work out, or it won't.
i'll take a smoking satanist any day over those damned christians.

they probably say it so they can claim religious discrimination when you turn them down because of their atrocious credit.
Old 12-31-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Don't know that I have seen people with credit so bad that I wouldn't rent to them.

I don't bother pulling thier credit. Most don't even have a checking account.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.