Reload this Page >

So, looking for treadmill advice

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-29-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my dad is looking for a budget treadmill, in the sub-1000 price range. he liked the one from sears, norditrack 2150 for 850 and there's also a epic 425 at costco for 899. anyone have any thoughts on these or have any other models you'd suggest?
Old 12-29-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Reebok one that I bought a little over a year ago. It was in the $1,000 range. Goes thru periods of use and non-use, but seems to be holding up pretty well. The only issue that I have encountered is a bit of squeeking, but I am sure a little oil will fix that.
Old 12-30-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the smooth one (a little under a grand shipped) is nice
Old 12-30-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My friends and I have had great luck with models by KEYS. I don't know if they have any in the sub-$1000 range, but you may want to look into them...
Old 12-30-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

don't mean to threadcrap, but 99% of the home treadmills I know of end up like this.

For $1000, you can pre-pay a 3 year gym membership, then get a really good annual rate after the 3rd year. IMO, this would be the most effective in terms of burning calories.
Old 12-30-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm, people must be gettng ready for their New Years resolutions....
Old 12-30-05, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by grrrah

don't mean to threadcrap, but 99% of the home treadmills I know of end up like this.

For $1000, you can pre-pay a 3 year gym membership, then get a really good annual rate after the 3rd year. IMO, this would be the most effective in terms of burning calories.
Agreed, but there's a lot to be said for having the thing in the comfort of your own home. I know that I'm a whole lot more likely to just change into appropriate clothes and use the treadmill for an hour than I am to drag my ass down to a gym.

Personally, I've found that the best thing to do when you're planning on working out at home is to get a Netflix membership. There's a whole bunch of TV shows out on DVD nowadays, and there's a ton that I've been meaning to check out, and watching an episode of something you haven'ts seen before really helps keep you from getting bored.
Old 12-31-05, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i know what you guys are saying about the treadmill just taking up space, and if it where me, i wouldn't buy it since i know i'd never use it, but again this is for my dad, and he is adament about getting one, so i just wanna make sure he gets a good one.