Roto-Rooter's Top Five Drainpipe Recoveries of 2005

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-29-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CINCINNATI, Dec. 28 /PRNewswire/ --
Roto-Rooter surveyed its field technicians throughout North America to find the strangest items recovered from pipes, toilets and trenches over the past year.
The result was a laundry list of items ranging from live animals to precious valuables. Of those items, five in particular rose to the top of the "unusual list."
To a plumber it's all in a day's work but to ordinary folks the list of the top five offers a fascinating look into a plumber's world.

1. Explosive Situation
Vicksburg, MS - On April 22, a Roto-Rooter crew excavating a residential sewer main dug up a live Civil War cannon shell. It was believed to be leftover from the 1863 siege of Vicksburg. An Army Ordnance disposal team
later removed it.

2. Nine Lives
Greensboro, NC - Bruce Shockley and crew rescued a cat from a storm sewer. "Angel" jumped from her elderly owner's arms into the sewer. She became disoriented and couldn't get out. Angel spent 24-hours underground before the crew excavated through earth and concrete to rescue her.

3. GI Joe Rescue
Bloomington, IL - Roto-Rooter's Michael Woggon was sent to repair a toilet. Apparently a 3-year old at the residence had been training his GI Joes in deep-water rescue techniques. He sent one down the toilet and when it
didn't come back he sent a few more in after it. When none of the Joes returned, the boy flushed several Matchbox cars to find them.
Needless to say the GI Joes weren't exactly Navy SEAL material. Altogether, fifteen toys were recovered from the drainpipe.

4. Smuggler's Blues
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada - Police called Roto-Rooter to recover a large stash of drugs and cash that a suspect flushed down a toilet just as the cops came in the front door. It took Plumber John Dekker only minutes to recover
all of the evidence.

5. Tiny Bottles
Sacramento, CA - Roto-Rooter's Brek Ritzema and Scott Chapman were called to a business with a backed-up sewer main. Toilets and sinks were over-flowing so the plumbers went to work on the clog. Finally, their equipment started
pulling out myriad of empty miniature liquor bottles - the kind they serve on airlines. An employee was apparently in the habit of drinking on the job and flushing the evidence.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4239953&EDATE=
Old 12-29-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice list...!

Number 3 is pretty classic.
Old 12-29-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
One place I lived, every darn month the roto-rooter man pulled sanitary products out of our drains. I finally did what the landlord and the roto-guy didn't seem to have the nerve to do, and told the woman in the other half of the duplex to stop flushing her kotex, dammit!

I'm surprised there aren't any false teeth on the list, there usually are.