Reload this Page >

Should I buy a slot machine?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-29-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wanting a slot machine for some time now. I just never wanted to shell out $200-300 for one. Well today I saw a slot machine at my local Value city for 50% off. it would of came to $100.00. I understand these machines refurbished and they look like they were from china/japan or something. They had alot of chinese lettering on it. Does anyone have any experience with these? How good are they?
Old 12-29-05, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
f-it its your money buy the thing.
Old 12-29-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got one off Ebay a few years ago - a Japanese model that doesn't have the traditional "arm", but a button instead. It's cuteness wore off when I found that I couldn't control the volume and the jackpot sequence lasted way too long! It's still fun for when people come over, but it's not something I play with on my own. That said, if you want one, and that price is damn good, get it.
Old 12-29-05, 02:38 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know anything about those models and I'd be concerned about what coins they use. But in general I'd say go for it.

I've had an old Mills nickel slot most of my life. It was always fun for people to play when they came over and saved me from wasting my time and money at slots in Las Vegas. I always have a stock of coins available so people don't play with their own money.

It looks exactly like this:

Old 12-29-05, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

$100 is a bargain. Go for it!
Old 12-29-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk God

I've had pinball machines, upright arcade machines, and slot machines. The novelty wears off and it isn't as great as I expected. But I still love to look at them when I see them for sell.

But you can't go wrong for $100.
Old 12-29-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by X
I've had an old Mills nickel slot most of my life.
I also have a Mills nickel slot. It's a 1946 Golden Falls.

Old 12-29-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
I don't know anything about those models and I'd be concerned about what coins they use. But in general I'd say go for it.
If it is the type of machine I am thinking, they are configured to only take tokens now (the only way to legally sell them) so just make sure you get 400-500 tokens with it. These are Japanese Pachislo machines and the reason they have buttons instead of an arm is that it is illegal to gamble in Japan but the fact that you push the button to stop the wheel makes it a "game of skill". By law, they can only be used for 6 months and then they have to be taken out of service and there is a big secondary market here in the states.

We have 2, a "Hello Santa" which has Santa packing a machine gun (gotta love the Japanese) and gunning down snowmen and one of the Gerry Anderson show Thunderbirds. FWIW, the volume is insanely loud but they are fun although you won't play them all the time. We fired both up (as well as the pinball machines) for our Christmas party and everyone had a blast.

Anyway, $100 is a decent deal so get it if you want it.
Old 12-29-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by beavismom
If it is the type of machine I am thinking, they are configured to only take tokens now (the only way to legally sell them) so just make sure you get 400-500 tokens with it. These are Japanese Pachislo machines and the reason they have buttons instead of an arm is that it is illegal to gamble in Japan but the fact that you push the button to stop the wheel makes it a "game of skill". By law, they can only be used for 6 months and then they have to be taken out of service and there is a big secondary market here in the states.
My ex bought one of these off ebay too. They are VERY loud, but we were able to easily disconnect one of the speakers, which helped a bit. Makes a nice knick-knack to have around the house, but the novelty wears off VERY quickly. I didn't really like having to push the 3 buttons to get the wheels to stop, either.
Old 12-29-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd buy a refurbed pac man tabletop myself instead of a slot...but, ahem, that's just me
Old 12-29-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to get one of these have for kicks, but I hear the novelty wears off very quickly. Can anyone confirm?

I've talked about getting these before, you can get them off e-bay for about $100 at any time. The skill-stop machines are fun and can be converted to use real quarters instead of token but I really can't see myself enjoying it for more than a couple of hours and then i'll have this huge metal slot machine taking up a corner of a room that one day in the not too distant future i'll be trying to figure out how to get rid of.
Old 12-29-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally Posted by General Zod
I've talked about getting these before, you can get them off e-bay for about $100 at any time. The skill-stop machines are fun and can be converted to use real quarters instead of token but I really can't see myself enjoying it for more than a couple of hours and then i'll have this huge metal slot machine taking up a corner of a room that one day in the not too distant future i'll be trying to figure out how to get rid of.
At which point you sell it on e-bay and hope the buyers don't wonder if the novelty wears off quickly.
Old 12-29-05, 02:04 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My observation is that the novelty of real slot machines, such as the Mills mechanical slot, doesn't wear off very quickly.
Old 12-29-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I contend that the novelty lasts just the right amount of time.
Old 12-29-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed.. Got one back in June... I never use it by myself, but if anyone comes over they are immediately drawn to it..