Old 12-29-05, 12:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 year old baby found drunk

Bet he'd be fun to go clubbing with.

2-Year-Old Boy Is Found Drunk After Mother Goes Into Labor

By JULIA C. MEAD
Published: December 29, 2005

PATCHOGUE, N.Y., Dec. 28 - When Orbalina Miranda went into labor with her third child at 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday, she left her two children asleep in their beds, in a relative's care, and headed to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital with her husband, Jose Gomez.

But while Ms. Miranda was still in labor, her a cousin passed out drunk, the police said. And her 2-year-old son consumed enough alcohol, supposedly from bottles strewn around the apartment, that he registered a blood-alcohol level of 0.094 percent, higher than the legal limit for adults to drive.

The cousin, Juan Reyes, 37, was arrested, charged with two counts of endangering the welfare of a minor. Her 3-year-old daughter, Rosa Gomez, was in the custody of Suffolk County Child Protective Services. And her 2-year-old son, Wilfredo Gomez, was in the emergency room of the same hospital where his mother was in delivery.

Hearing the news, Ms. Miranda became too upset to concentrate on giving birth, said her brother-in-law, Gilberto Gomez. "The baby got stuck," he said. "It was bad, very bad. She was crying."

According to the Suffolk County Sheriff's Department, two deputies accidentally discovered the drunk child. The deputies were assigned to the domestic violence unit and went to the family's apartment on Division Street to investigate a complaint against a man who no longer lived there.

But through a window of the bright blue house, they spotted Mr. Reyes on a bed and the two toddlers in the apartment unsupervised, the sheriff's office said.

"The little girl was playing and acting normally," said Deputy Vincent Spadafora. "She spoke very little English, but she kept trying to hug us and she smiled a lot." The boy was in a different state. His eyes were bloodshot; he was stumbling around and appeared abnormally lethargic, he said.

They wakened Mr. Reyes by banging on the window and, when he opened the front door, the smell of alcohol was "overwhelming," Deputy Spadafora said. He and his partner, Deputy Christopher Brockmeyer, said they found three or four open bottles of liquor scattered around and guessed that Wilfredo had drunk some. They also found a baby bottle, but it was empty, they said.

Mr. Reyes was too inebriated to answer the deputies' questions coherently, the deputy said, so they called an ambulance for the boy and Child Protective Services for his sister. Medical personnel at Brookhaven Memorial hospital who treated Wilfredo also performed a blood test and found a blood-alcohol level that was 0.014 percentage points higher than the legal limit for adult drivers in New York State of 0.08 percent.

Wilfredo was released from the emergency room and returned that night to his father, who was upstairs in the hospital assisting with his wife's delivery, said Lt. John McGann, the head of the sheriff's domestic violence unit.

A language barrier and Mr. Reyes's drunken state made it difficult for deputies to figure out how the boy had consumed so much alcohol. "This individual was so inebriated that it was difficult just to establish that he was the baby sitter," said Lieutenant McGann.

So far as the family could determine, the boy mistook a bottle of clear alcohol, perhaps vodka, for something else, said Gilberto Gomez, the boy's uncle.

Lieutenant McGann said that it was fortunate his deputies found the boy by accident.

"We can only imagine what might have happened if they didn't find him," he said. "His condition definitely worsened."

Jeff Sievers, the hospital spokesman, declined to comment on the case, citing confidentiality for the patients.

Mr. Reyes, a construction laborer, pleaded not guilty on Wednesday in County District Court in Central Islip. Judge Joseph Santorelli set bail at $5,000; Mr. Reyes had not posted it by early evening.

Lieutenant McGann said the Sheriff's Department saw no reason to cite the parents for neglect. "They were at the hospital," he said. "They left their children in the custody of an adult, and it didn't appear they were responsible for what happened."

But a caseworker for Child Protective Services took Rosa Gomez from her parents' apartment and left behind a notice that they were being cited for neglect and abuse. They must appear on Thursday for a hearing in County Family Court to determine whether Rosa will be returned to them from, presumably, foster care.

By Wednesday afternoon, the apartment was tidy, with toys piled in a corner. Food bubbled on the stove as Mr. Gomez talked about his brother and sister-in-law. "They are good parents," he said. "I don't know how this could happen."

He said Wilfredo had recovered and was at the hospital visiting his mother and brother, who had been born later on Tuesday. As for Rosa, he said, "I don't know when she's coming home."
Old 12-29-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's awesome. My parents and aunt/uncle have stories about when my cousin used to drink as a kid. They were like 19 when they had him, so when they'd have people over and they'd leave drinks around, he'd go pick them up and drink out of them. One time they found him passed out in a dresser drawer.
Old 12-29-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-29-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Old 12-29-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

PATCHOGUE, N.Y.

This tells you all you need to know.
Old 12-29-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's dangerous enough the kids had noone conscious to take care of them, but the danger is 10 fold when the unattended kids are drunk.

The parents (and the stupid-ass babysitter) are extremely lucky nothing happened to those kids... extremely lucky.
Old 12-29-05, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2-Year-Old Boy Is Found Drunk After Mother Goes Into Labor
Boy, did I read that the wrong way...
Old 12-29-05, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

kvrdave beat me to it.
Old 12-29-05, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
The parents (and the stupid-ass babysitter) are extremely lucky nothing happened to those kids... extremely lucky.
Yes, but the rest of us are SOL since those kids are from the same gene pool.
Old 12-29-05, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Now that's hardcore!
Old 12-29-05, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Article
Hearing the news, Ms. Miranda became too upset to concentrate on giving birth, said her brother-in-law, Gilberto Gomez. "The baby got stuck," he said. "It was bad, very bad.
Originally Posted by Coral
It's dangerous enough the kids had noone conscious to take care of them, but the danger is 10 fold when the unattended kids are drunk.
Old 12-29-05, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Haha...classic.
Old 12-29-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-29-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dumb of the parents to leave the kids with their alcoholic cousin.

Not dumb enough for them to lose their kids over. I hope CPS doesn't keep the kids in foster care.
Old 12-29-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if the cousin was a closet alcoholic... I know I wouldn't leave kids with someone I KNEW was a drunk. Secret drinkers can really surprise you. A friend of mine hid her drinking problem from me for nearly a year; then we went on a trip, and I woke up in the hotel room to find her alarmingly drunk. She admitted the next day that she was drinking a large amount of alcohol every night "to help her sleep". I had no clue.

Mr. Reyes is going to have a LOT of explaining to do to the Mirandas! I'm glad he's being charged, but hope the parents don't have any more trouble with CPS over this.

BTW, Deftones, stories of a drunken toddler are not funny, they are scary.
Old 12-29-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Whats a 2 year old BABY?
Old 12-29-05, 11:24 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I was drunk once when I was ten, but this is something else entirely.
Old 12-29-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
PATCHOGUE, N.Y.

This tells you all you need to know.

According to the Suffolk County Sheriff's Department, two deputies accidentally discovered the drunk child. The deputies were assigned to the domestic violence unit and went to the family's apartment on Division Street to investigate a complaint against a man who no longer lived there.

But through a window of the bright blue house, they spotted Mr. Reyes on a bed and the two toddlers in the apartment unsupervised, the sheriff's office said.
Sounds like some place to live.

"accidentally discovered"
Old 12-29-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Whats a 2 year old BABY?
Similar to a 3 hour-old fertilized zygote "baby". It's a word people use to elicit sympathy, despite the actual status of the child.
Old 12-29-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That reminded me from "Meet the Fockers"

Roz Focker: Gay, I said tribble, not whole bottle!
Old 12-29-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
stories of a drunken toddler are not funny, they are scary.
They sure are scary. Especially when you hear about them trying to get behind the wheel.

Remember, friends don't let toddlers drive drunk.
Old 12-29-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How much would it take to get a 2-year-old drunk? My guess is not much.

Besides, I can't imagine many 2-year-olds who could even stand the taste of alcohol.
Old 12-29-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If a very young child is thirsty, he will try to drink anything that looks drinkable. Sure, if he took swig of vodka, he would spit out what he hadn't swallowed, cry for a while, and then go looking for something else to drink. He might not like the taste of beer, but it would be wet, so he would drink it.

Many asccidental poisoning cases happen because a dangerous liquid looks like soda or juice.
Old 12-29-05, 09:33 PM

Hey, Im originally from Patchogue.....used to be a nice place. But now you can see why I "used" to be from there......