Reload this Page >

Grrah! AT&T the lying liars!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-28-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we were getting ready to move we figured we might want two phone lines instead of one. We called our friends at AT&T who had given us such trusty service for so long and the rep said that if we sign up for the second line with the first (all on one order) then the set-up fee would be $65 once instead of $65 for each line, which it would be if we added the second line later. We thought about it and called them back a week later and were told the same thing so we signed up for two lines.

Eventually when we got the bill we were billed $65X2 for the two lines. I've gone up and down the AT&T customer service chain of command, including sending a letteer at their suggestion to the high up muckety mucks and everyone has told me to go screw myself. I can't believe they won't give me a credit. They're stealing from me!

So now I want to switch to another company and tell AT&T to stick their bills in their butt but I'm sure the new place will have similar set up fees anyway plus all the other phone companies seem to be on vacation, which is no good. And I will never use Verizon again, plus I can't get VOIP phone service here. What should I do? I can't stomach paying the $65 that I was lied to about. Arg!
Old 12-28-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good Luck!
Old 12-28-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It would help to tell us where you are now.
Old 12-28-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Baltimore, MD.

The thing that makes me so mad is that this is like going to a restaurant, asking how much pancakes cost, being told that they are $5, double and triple-checking that that's the price, eating them, and then being told that they are $10 and since you already ate them you have to pay the full amount or else you can never leave the restaurant. Or something. It just makes me so mad. Plus Qwest and Sprint have no local service in MD and all the half-ass other local providers are MIA or have full voicemail boxes (wtf) so it looks like I'm stuck! Do we have any high-up execs at AT&T here who can straighten this mess out?
Old 12-28-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
The thing that makes me so mad is that this is like going to a restaurant, asking how much pancakes cost, being told that they are $5, double and triple-checking that that's the price, eating them, and then being told that they are $10 and since you already ate them you have to pay the full amount or else you can never leave the restaurant.
I actually was at a place where the waitress, upon seeing our empty cups, asked "would you like a refill"? Imagine my surprise upon seeing said second beverages on our bill...

Same has happened for chips and salsa before (fine print on menu says "first bowl is free"). Or the folks that ask "what type of salad would you like", when salad isn't included in the cost of the entree I just ordered, so we get charged separately for it.
Old 12-28-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's withholding information, which is also rotten, but isn't as bad as this. They also withheld info (like they never said that voicemail had a separate $10 set up fee beyond the other fees) that added to the bill. But in this case they flat-out lied (or the sales rep was misinformed, which still shouldn't be my problem) because they specifically said that the price would be $65 and not $130. I told the woman that when I call AT&T and talk to their sales rep I shouldn't be expected to be better educated on their billing system than him. But it was to no avail.
Old 12-28-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I told the woman that when I call AT&T and talk to their sales rep I shouldn't be expected to be better educated on their billing system than him. But it was to no avail.
Yeah... I don't know why that didn't help.
Old 12-28-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Yeah... I don't know why that didn't help.
To be fair, that was actually in response to her suggesting that I should have noticed the guy's error in giving me the pricing info! She also asked something like "How do I know you're telling the truth?" I asked her if she seees any black mark on our years of records and she said that that makes no difference. I asked if being a good customer in good standing means anything anymore and she said that it doesn't.

And she was about the millionth person we talked to. I'm shaking my fist in disgust!
Old 12-28-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

do you have comcast? get the cable, internet and their VOIP or vonage
Old 12-28-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why can't you get VOIP?
Old 12-28-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They don't offer it here, the bastards!
Old 12-28-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

just get broadband service and vonage
Old 12-28-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
just get broadband service and vonage
Exactly. Get cable internet and Vonage and tell the phone company to go screw. It'll probably work out to be cheaper, depending on your phone plan.
Old 12-28-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
grrrah works for AT&T?
Old 12-28-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am looking into Vonage now. That might be the solution after all. I'd need to work out the kinks of getting one line into the phone jacks of one part of the house and the other line into the other, but that can be accomplished. Anyone here have Vonage? Any issues with quality? There would be two phone lines and two computers running all at once...
Old 12-28-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got off the phone with AOL.

I HATE THEM!!!

I was at the shore for a couple weeks, it was free....etc. Anyhow, they didn't let me cancel online, so I had to call. I kept putting it off, but I knew the 6 months 'free' would be up, so I called tonight to make sure i cancelled it. Their IVR sucks!! The freakin' CS Rep was really rude. She kept trying to sell me shit, after I told her nicely FOUR TIMES that I wasn't interested. She kept saying that it "took awhile" to generate an AUTOMATED cancellation number....so I might as well listen to her. God...that was annoying.

-p
Old 12-28-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Vonage sales rep asked me if I "needed to ask for permission" when I told her I was only on a factfinding mission and needed to discuss what she told me with the other person who lives here! That's some used car bullshit! Did she really think I'd say "No! I'm a Manly Man and I make all the decisions here! Just to prove how Manly I am sign me up for your most expensive service right now and to hell with the ol' ball and chain!"
Old 12-28-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i had vonage for years and there were some problems a few years ago, but no more

the 2nd line costs around $10 i think, but not sure
Old 12-28-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They told me that the second line would be an additional full fee for $25 or whatever it is for the package you want...
Old 12-28-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The Vonage sales rep asked me if I "needed to ask for permission" when I told her I was only on a factfinding mission and needed to discuss what she told me with the other person who lives here!
Works for selling snow plows. Should work for selling phone service.

(makes whip-cracking sound)
Old 12-28-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
the 2nd line costs around $10 i think, but not sure
Shhhhhh... Gil always pays full price for the second one....
Old 01-04-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alright, I got my Vonage router hooked up! How do you like that for action and results? It's able to make calls out on my number but I guess it isn't receiving the calls for it yet. Sweet. I guess I'll put in the order for the second line now that I feel like it works.
Old 01-04-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always get a name, it doesn't help, but it might make you feel better inside.
Old 01-04-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dumped AT&T over similar billing issues (told one thing on the phone and then billed for another after triple checking the price quoted). They have lost income from me for about 8 years now and I will NEVER give them another dime if I can at all help it.

I would say go wireless phone 100% if that was your only option, but it sounds like vonage might work out for you.

AT&T deserves to go out of business for their anti-customer service practices.
Old 01-04-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.