Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

has anyone used the Costco Scoop Free automatic litter box?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-26-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Costco is selling a new type of automatic litter box that uses the crystal litter. I owned a litter maid a few years ago, and it was awful. This one looks much nicer though. Does anyone here have any experience with it? I looked for reviews online, but couldn't find any.

thanks!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse=
Old 12-26-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How much are the replacement cartridges?

Oh, to answer your question - just get it. It's Costco! If it sucks take it back.
Old 12-26-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting. I've had the Littermaid one for about 6 months. I've had to replace it 2x, but they keep sending me new ones, so I won't complain.
Old 12-26-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More info:

http://www.scoopfree.com/index.htm

Looks like 3 cartridges from the mfr site is $49.95, 6 are $89.95
Old 12-26-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Hell, I'm all for this. I've always wanted the Littermaid but I've heard nothing but bad things about them. Our cats are very fussy and basically require a clean litter box at all times.

If this worked well I'd probably go for it.
Old 12-26-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

we had alittermaid but one of our cats didn't like it and kept shorting out the motor.
Old 12-26-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The crust left a bit to be desired, and it really wasn't sweet enough. Oh well, I have 11 months to look for a new one.
Old 12-27-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobDole42
Costco is selling a new type of automatic litter box that uses the crystal litter.
Oh, crystal litter? I've been using crystal meth. No wonder my cats' teeth fell out.

They would probably turn their noses up at an automatic litter box.
Old 12-27-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nevermind
More info:

http://www.scoopfree.com/index.htm

Looks like 3 cartridges from the mfr site is $49.95, 6 are $89.95
thanks for the link to the site - I don't know how I missed that! It looks like it could work better than the littermaid since it uses the crystal litter, which creates much smaller clumps. The problem I had with the littermaid was the large clumps kept jamming the rake.
Old 12-27-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for the link to the site - I don't know how I missed that! It looks like it could work better than the littermaid since it uses the crystal litter, which creates much smaller clumps. The problem I had with the littermaid was the large clumps kept jamming the rake.
Yep. That's my problem. My cats are huge (30 pounds and 25 pounds). I constantly have to fuss with that machine. I might look into this once this thing finally breaks again.
Old 12-27-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I had the littermaid a few years ago and if you have cats that pee a lot in one sitting then it's going to jam. There is nothing like hereing the motor going constantly in the middle of the night.

Seeing this though I might be interested in getting one. I'm not sure I can justify $60 on litter every month (have 3 cats)
Old 12-27-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
Yeah, I had the littermaid a few years ago and if you have cats that pee a lot in one sitting then it's going to jam. There is nothing like hereing the motor going constantly in the middle of the night.

Seeing this though I might be interested in getting one. I'm not sure I can justify $60 on litter every month (have 3 cats)
$50 for 3 cartridges is a bit much. I pay 8 dollars a jug for the fresh step crystal litter, so I guess the cartridges carry quite a premium. Still, if it works it would be worth it. I'm torn between buying at costco for the return policy vs. buying from the manufacturer. It is 200 at costco with the hood (which my cat won't like) and 3 cartridges. But, it's only 140 with one cartridge from scoop free. hm...
Old 12-27-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it actually lasts 30 days per cartridge for one cat, $15/month isn't too bad.

Especially if it works.

I wonder if the hood is removable BobDole42?

I'd go the Costco route anyways, just for the ease of returning if turns out to be awful.
Old 12-27-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nevermind
If it actually lasts 30 days per cartridge for one cat, $15/month isn't too bad.
For one cat it wouldn't be a bad deal. Still more then you probably spend per 30 days in regular litter. For 3 cats changing it once per week is quite a bit more then I spend on litter in a month even using 3 seperate boxes.

I also wonder how it works having to ween the cats onto it. I tried to change to the citris litter a few month ago and they didn't like that so I had to gradually change it.
Old 12-27-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Hmm... I have 5 cats, so this would probably be prohibitively expensive. Besides that, it has two strikes against it:

1) We tried that crystal cat litter before, and all we got were little pee-colored pearls rolling all over the hardwood floor.

2) I finally convinced my wife to get the Littermaid one a few months ago. I put it next to the other cat litter boxes. Little did I know that one cat in particular was deathly afraid of it, and held everything in until one day, I picked her up and she released everything. Since then, it's been in storage, and whenever I want to bring it out, my wife refuses.

Still, when someone does get this, let us know how it is! I'm all for anything that will keep me from manually emptying three large boxes every day.
Old 12-27-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Hmm... I have 5 cats, so this would probably be prohibitively expensive. Besides that, it has two strikes against it:

1) We tried that crystal cat litter before, and all we got were little pee-colored pearls rolling all over the hardwood floor.
I don't think it's the pearls, which when I tried it had the same yellow colored pearls rolling across my floor. I think it's the crystals which don't track nealrly as much as the pearls.
Old 01-22-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered the Scoop Free litter box directly from the company (I didn't want the hood that the costco bundle included). I've been using it for 2 weeks and the only thing I have to say is "Hell yeah." The litter box works perfectly - it hasn't jammed once and my bathroom has never smelled better. The company seems pretty mom and pop (the VP of sales called me to ask how I liked it), but the product is top-notch. It is going to cost me about $40/month for litter cartridges (vs. $20/month for litter), but the price is well worth it. The Scoop Free is everything the litter maid wished it were - if you hate scooping litter and don't mind spending an extra $20 a month, order this right now.

I hate to seem like a company shill, but this is a really a rare product. I used to scoop out my litter box every morning. It's been two weeks with the Scoop Free and I haven't touched it once.
Old 01-22-06, 02:03 AM

Thanks for the review. I'd be interested in buying this.

Do they carry these at Costco stores, or is it online only? Where do they sell the cartridges?
Old 01-22-06, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Thanks for the review. I'd be interested in buying this.

Do they carry these at Costco stores, or is it online only? Where do they sell the cartridges?
The Costco in Orlando, FL doesn't sell it, but other locations may. I'm buying my cartridges online - I don't know if any B&M stores sell them right now. The cartridges are $50 for 3 at scoopfree.com, which is pretty decent.
Old 01-22-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hummm the costco one might be worth a try. I have read so many bad things about the Littermaid, I was considering the jump to this one $300!!! But I have yet to read anything bad about it.

http://www.litter-robot.com/default....1?source=gaw13

However, one of my cats is pretty big so not sure she would like it.
Old 01-22-06, 01:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Anyone know the company's website?
Old 01-22-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Anyone know the company's website?
http://www.scoopfree.com
Old 01-22-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a good idea, especially since it is unlikely you could pick up these refills just anywhere,

We are currently in the process of developing the pricing and delivery structure for our new Litter Cartridge Delivery Subscription service.

If you would like to be notified when we officially launch the program, simply send us an email at [email protected].

Otherwise....check back soon!

Click here to return to the ordering page.
Old 01-22-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"Open the pod bay doors HAL. Meowrrrr"
Old 01-22-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

is there a way you could just refill the empty cartridges...i have 2 cats and cant see spending 50 bucks every month and a half for litter.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.