DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   eBay rant: Why the hell do I have to keep signing in? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/449966-ebay-rant-why-hell-do-i-have-keep-signing.html)

Draven 12-26-05 04:28 PM

eBay rant: Why the hell do I have to keep signing in?

I'm currently "signed in" to eBay - my name shows up on the homepage.

Let's check on items I'm selling - whoops, gotta enter my password.
Let's bid on an item - whoops, gotta enter my password.

What the hell? What's the point of "signing in" if I'm constantly entering my password? I understand security concerns, but I'm the only person that uses this computer and do I really need to type my password every single time I go back to the site to check my status?

How about a big button that says "I'M THE ONLY PERSON THAT USES THIS COMPUTER" that permanently signs me in?

This same kind of thing pissed me off on Yahoo Mail too, having to retype my password every day.

shoppingbear 12-26-05 04:36 PM

Obligatory question: do you have cookies enabled on your computer? I don't have to keep resigning into either ebay or yahoo (occasionally on yahoo if I'm idle for HOURS), I'm assuming because of the cookies... plus I check the "keep me signed in" box on ebay when I sign in.

:shrug: That's the only idea I can think of, but you've probably already checked that...

Draven 12-26-05 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by shoppingbear
Obligatory question: do you have cookies enabled on your computer? I don't have to keep resigning into either ebay or yahoo (occasionally on yahoo if I'm idle for HOURS), I'm assuming because of the cookies... plus I check the "keep me signed in" box on ebay when I sign in.

:shrug: That's the only idea I can think of, but you've probably already checked that...

I do (which is, I'm assuming, why my name shows up on the front page when I go to the site) but if I actually want to do something with my account, I have to enter my password. At which point I can do whatever, but I have to re-enter the password if I close the browser and come back later.

Maybe there's a setting somewhere I'm missing.

Patrick G 12-26-05 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
I do (which is, I'm assuming, why my name shows up on the front page when I go to the site) but if I actually want to do something with my account, I have to enter my password. At which point I can do whatever, but I have to re-enter the password if I close the browser and come back later.

You're not missing anything. The "keep me signed in" check box is completely useless. I'm sick of this as well.

Cameron 12-26-05 04:51 PM

same

mikehunt 12-26-05 05:27 PM

been doing that to me for at least 4 months

ChiTownAbs, Inc 12-26-05 05:57 PM

yup, same here. both IE and FF

shoppingbear 12-26-05 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Draven

Ah sorry, I misunderstood.... I don't have to reenter it if I want to look at my account (my watch-list, etc) but I do have to reenter it if I want to bid on an item.... don't think you can disable that.

As for yahoo, are you saying you want to NEVER have to sign in, EVER? Maybe you're the only one who ever uses the PC normally, but still... that doesn't seem secure to me. :)

namja 12-26-05 06:07 PM

I wish there were more login/password options. Maybe under the password box, there can be a box you can check so that the browser will save the password for:
* current session only (default)
* 1 hour
* 6 hours
* 12 hours
* 24 hours
* 1 week

Of course, there will be BIG BOLD warnings of the security issues of the passwords being saved. And you still will be forced to enter your current password if you are trying to change your password.

Draven 12-26-05 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by namja
I wish there were more login/password options. Maybe under the password box, there can be a box you can check so that the browser will save the password for:
* current session only (default)
* 1 hour
* 6 hours
* 12 hours
* 24 hours
* 1 week

Of course, there will be BIG BOLD warnings of the security issues of the passwords being saved. And you still will be forced to enter your current password if you are trying to change your password.

Exactly. I completely understand the "internet cafe" problem. But there should be options for those of us with more secure systems.

j123vt_99 12-26-05 06:38 PM

Same problem with me in IE and FF... Every other site works fine with logins

Squirrel God 12-26-05 06:47 PM

Count me in as a member of the Pissed Off Possť.

Ebay suck.

DVD Polizei 12-26-05 07:18 PM

Buy a Microsoft FingerID reader from eBay.

Patrick G 12-26-05 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

Anyone using one of these at work? I was thinking of buying one, but not sure what the bosses would think of it. Wonder if it would work on the password-protected hard drives.

krunchyfrogg 12-27-05 03:12 AM

Yep. This "I have to log in every 5 minutes" sucks ass.

mkdevo 12-27-05 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick G
The "keep me signed in" check box is completely useless.

exactly. i actually wish they'd get rid of that box.. it's like a slap in the face..

nickdawgy 12-27-05 09:08 AM

I have the same problem, only not just at eBay. It happens here at DVDtalk, at CAG, at Hotmail, Gmail, etc.

I have "remember me", "save my login" whatever checked, and I'll often have to re-enter the info. I have cookies enabled, so I am not sure what the heck the problem is.

Sonicflood 12-27-05 09:14 AM

Same problem for me. It pisses me off too! Tried IE, FF & Opera and same result.

Sonic

natevines 12-27-05 09:22 AM

Yeah, I thought the keep me signed in box didn't work only for me. What crap. This has been going on for years, is Ebay this lazy?

ShallowHal 12-27-05 09:39 AM

Sometimes it's not eBay, sometimes it is. Sometimes it's your own ISP's servers, sometimes it's not.

I'm usually ok, the only time it bothers me is when I try to snipe and there's no time for signing in when I already am. That is frustrating!!

bidnapper.com ;)

griz 12-27-05 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

I would, but I'd have to re-login to ebay again! :D

LX98Civic 12-27-05 01:51 PM

I have the same problem, lol.

Funny I get pi$$ed with too because it's a PITA!!!

Draven 12-27-05 03:22 PM

Man, I'm glad it's not just me. :)

danicus007 12-27-05 03:51 PM

Add me to the pissed off group. Time to storm eBay headquarters.

zuffy 12-27-05 03:55 PM

This eBay problem started like a year ago. Fucking eBay.