Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Can't find specific hardware needed for furniture project

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-24-05, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm building a "home entertainment console"/tv stand for my brother, and I've got these 6 square aluminum tubes that are going to be the support for the thing. I'm trying to figure out how to attach them to the 2'x4' wooden top and base, and I figure I need some kind of flange like this:

The tubes are 1" square, so I'd need a flange with 1" inside diameter, and probably at least an inch of height - but I have no idea where to find this exact piece. Any ideas? The other option is to have something that the tubes slide over, instead of into - whichever provides the best strength.

here's what I plan for it to look like:
Old 12-24-05, 11:39 PM

this might make things easier for you to do your stand in this fashion; http://web.mr-happy.com/~adi/shelves/

i made an 11 shelf component rack this way. it looks greats and it's sturdy as hell. shouldn't be to hard to modify the design to your specs.
Old 12-24-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Try Rockler. They'll have it if anyone would. My dad has been into woodworking for many years and he orders from them regularly.

I'll be @ his house tomorrow and see if I can locate one in his catalogs.

Sonic
Old 12-24-05, 11:53 PM

that is a really nice design, I've bookmarked it for a future project, but I've already bought these aluminum square rods thinking it wouldn't be so hard to find the fittings to attach them to the wood. I'm tempted to store them away somewhere and get those threaded round rods at home depot the next time it's open (closed 25th right?) - but I know the square ones will just take up space and I'll be pissed I spent twice as much as I needed to.

Last edited by lucasorion; 12-25-05 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-25-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonicflood
Try Rockler. They'll have it if anyone would. My dad has been into woodworking for many years and he orders from them regularly.

I'll be @ his house tomorrow and see if I can locate one in his catalogs.

Sonic
I was going to suggest Rockler as well. We've got one here in town and they seem to have everything you'd ever need for any type of project (a bit pricey though.)