Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What was the Worse Ever Neighbourhood You've Been To?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-22-05, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the worst ever neighbourhood you've ever visited, or worse still lived in. The kind of domestic hood that has a really shitty local economy, a sky high crime rate, terrible living conditions and incompetent local authorities.

Which residential area would you see as an Earth bound version of Hell?
Old 12-22-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Otterville.
Old 12-22-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

East St. Louis sucks balls!
Old 12-22-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cabrini Green, drove past there once, before they tore it down.
Old 12-22-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did some relief work in the slums of Khartoum, Sudan a while back - that was rather bleak and pretty bad, but not in a scared-for-your-life sort of way.

The shanty-towns around the Guatemala City dumps weren't too nice either, but not especially dangerous.

I've walked around both Compton and Harlem (I'm white) and those aren't as bad as people say. But I wouldn't walk around Compton at night.
Old 12-22-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

North Portland. There was this area, maybe a fellow Portlander can remember the name of it, but there were really dumpy looking houses/plexes all smashed together. Kind of the "hood." And the public transportation buses (Tri-Met) would go through the neighborhood on route. An ex-boyfriend of mine drove a bus for Tri-Met, and I guess back in the day it was a Tri-Met rule to shut off all the lights inside the bus so people outside couldn't see into the bus and start shooting. Tri-Met also had a rule that you waved at buses passing you in the other direction. If you didn't wave, it meant something was wrong and they would call dispatch.
Old 12-22-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I lived in Cherry Hill, NJ, for a few months and we'd always have to go Camden for meetings and that place always wigged me out.
Old 12-22-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Green Smurf
It's only been partially torn down, so you still have plenty of opportunities to drive past it. I drive past it all the time.

I've been to some pretty crappy neighborhoods on Chicago's Near South Side.
Old 12-22-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't go walking around Wilmington, Delaware's 4th Street area. Lots of drug activity.
Old 12-22-05, 06:58 PM
Suspended

Old 12-22-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Green Smurf
They tore it down? I was just there yesterday and there are still buildings around.
Old 12-22-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have worked inside the Jefferson North Chrysler plant in Detroit. There is razor wire and fences around the parking lots, and I know there was a shooting or 2 inside those lots.
Old 12-22-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
The shanty-towns around the Guatemala City dumps weren't too nice either, but not especially dangerous.
Are you sure it's not dangerous around there? I remember actually driving into and through the dump and it was horrendous.
Old 12-22-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Are you sure it's not dangerous around there? I remember actually driving into and through the dump and it was horrendous.
Don't know about Guatemala, but the favelas around Rio aren't especially dangerous to tourists. You're much more likely to get inadvertently caught in a shootout between police, gang members or drug-cartel members than being mugged by one of the locals. Although it's probably not a good idea to venture there on your own. The main problem is the police are just as bad as the criminals. They've killed (often "executed") more than 4,000 people in the past 5 years and the crime rate hasn't gone down one bit.
Old 12-22-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
It was during the day but, while the conditions were absolutely horrendous, it didn't really feel dangerous - maybe it was because we were there helping people out.

Also, there aren't really any sorts of gangs or too much crime - just the squatters living in and around the dump, scavenging what they can off the waste to survive.

Last edited by slop101; 12-22-05 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-22-05, 08:01 PM

I walked through Cabrini Green at around 10pm one time. My car got towed and I had no money for a cab so I footed it to the tow yard. That was some scarry sh*t!
Old 12-22-05, 08:29 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I've had to go to Camden, NJ and West Philly for business. The key is to go early in the morning, when the crack heads and murderers are still passed out. Mostly.
Old 12-22-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scariest was in Hawthorne (sp?) California, near L.A., where I foolishly stopped at a shady convenience store late at night to buy some beer and then was followed by locals who were trying to pick us up when we got out of the store (I was with my best friend). We ended up having to pull over at the police station for them to stop following us. I hated the whole feel of that part of town, so scary and dirty.
Old 12-22-05, 08:41 PM

Nuevo Laredo, Mexico just south of Laredo, Texas as far as being a "dump".

The most dangerous area I've been to, as was told by a police officer, was an area of Phoenix where my windshield had been destroyed by flying debris while driving on I-10. I don't remember the exact location, but I remember something about 7th street/avenue and maybe Roosevelt? The officer had to contain a robbery that went on inside a convenience store, in the middle of taking down our information in that convenience store's parking lot. When he returned he said he was going to "make this quick" because even he didn't like being in that area.
Old 12-22-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I ran out of gas in South Central Los Angeles at 3:00 am once. I began walkiing with my girlfriend, who was wearing her LAX uniform with a VERY short skirt. An old man sitting on his porch yelled,"Hey White Boy! What are you doing walking around here at night?" When I told him what happened, he siphoned some gas from his truck and gave it to me. How cool!
Old 12-22-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tbone
I walked through Cabrini Green at around 10pm one time. My car got towed and I had no money for a cab so I footed it to the tow yard. That was some scarry sh*t!
Ah yes, the pound at Halsted and Division. I used to live pretty close to it, but I can imagine that some people would be scared.

(I used to live at May and Chicago, and while I was <1 mile from Cabrini, you would never know it)
Old 12-22-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Ive lived in the Bronx my whole life, worked in the South Bronx, and have visited every terminal in the NYC Transit IRT (Manhattan/Bronx/Brooklyn)...and have to say New Orleans and the outskirts were the worst places I have ever visited
Old 12-22-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Roxbury, Boston
Old 12-22-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

By far the worst neighborhood I've driven through was Oakand, CA south of downtown. Geez, that was a bad neighborhood with a lot of poor quality housing, to say the least.
Old 12-22-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I lived on the Southside of Chicago for a while around 75th and Jeffery. Then slightly moved up in status to the west side of Chicago .

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.