Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Help! US Post Office damages package and tries to deny responsibility

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-22-05, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold my Xbox on ebay and shipped it to a lady who got it for her daughter (sorry no pics) for xmas.

Everything arrived perfectly fine, except she said that it won't read any discs now. It was my personal Xbox and worked perfectly fine on the day of shipping. I was playing it a few days earlier and tested it before I shipped it. It was packed extra carefully with lots of newspaper and separately wrapped. Although I'm not a seller on ebay, I've been on the net for quite a while and have seen the battle scars of poor packing, so I know how to make sure things get protection. She did buy insurance for the item.

The thing is the xbox is not physically damaged and the shipping box is not mangled. So when the claims person looked at it, she said there isn't any signs of damage. My assumption is that the box was thrown into the truck or dropped or hell, maybe both. There is no way the disc laser would become nonfunctional unless the package was roughly handled. So what should I do? Electronic items do not need to be hit with a hammer to become disabled.

The item was working before it left and arrived not working. The postal service gets to evaluate their own claim on admitting they were at fault and having to pay, even though insurance was purchased? ANY and ALL advice would be appreciated - I really can't afford to get screwed over on this. That's why I sold it int he first place

Many thanks for z help!
Old 12-22-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No signs of physical damage = no responsibility by the shipper.

Also, how do you know the Xbox doesn't work. Maybe the buyer is lying? I'd have the buyer ship it back to you if anything.
Old 12-22-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Unfortunately, I don't think you have much recourse.

I hope I'm wrong. But what would stop someone from doing this with a broken xbox?

For an item that expensive I probably would have paid to have it wrapped and made sure it was labeled as fragile. Even then, there's no guarantee in shipping electronics that something won't go wrong. Sounds like a really bad deal for you though. I don't know what your next step is. You don't want it shipped back to repair it, but on the other hand, I don't know what the buyer would do with it either. Clearly if they are out the money they are getting the worst part of the deal here. They received a broken xbox.

I think the only thing you can do is pursue this with the post office along with the seller, and if it doesn't work out, refund the seller and ask them to ship it back.

That really sucks no matter how it ends up.
Old 12-22-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

P.S. Ask them to make sure they aren't putting the cd's in upside-down.
Old 12-22-05, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
P.S. Ask them to make sure they aren't putting the cd's in upside-down.
lol, I'll double check on that :P . You are correct, anyone in theory could try to run a scam, but that could be said about anything. Personally I don't think the risk is worth it for $120 bucks. I was just selling it bc I have a PS2 and thought it would be nice to have some extra cash to get a better gift for my gf (maybe a pic for winning advice ). Grrrrrr! Now it looks like all I end up with is a broken xbox.
Old 12-22-05, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by scarab007
lol, I'll double check on that :P . You are correct, anyone in theory could try to run a scam, but that could be said about anything. Personally I don't think the risk is worth it for $120 bucks. I was just selling it bc I have a PS2 and thought it would be nice to have some extra cash to get a better gift for my gf (maybe a pic for winning advice ). Grrrrrr! Now it looks like all I end up with is a broken xbox.
make sure she isn't trying to play some other system's game on the Xbox i.e. xbox360. Did you sell her the games? Anyway, moot point but all this should have been spelled out in your auction i.e. DOA, refunds, returns, damage, etc.

If you do decide to accept the return, have her ship back the xbox before refunding. Also, mention first that you have either written down the serial number or have marked the system with a black light marker (even if you haven't) just in case she is doing a switcharoo. If she is and you mention that you have the serial number, it might be a miracle, praise jesus that the system somehow works again.

Edit to add, newspaper isn't really a good way to pack electronic items. I think you have no claim even if you paid for insurance. Your hope is that she is doing a switcharoo.

Last edited by chowderhead; 12-22-05 at 04:45 AM.