Reload this Page >

"You got fired for that?" Top of 2005

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-21-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

"These stories topped U.S. outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas Inc.'s ranking of the most unbelievable workplace events in 2005."

. A German company has implemented a strict, no-whining policy, using a two-moans-and-you're out rule. Two workers have since been fired for whining (about the rule? ) and two others have quit.

. In the U.S., one woman was suspended from her job in a library for spending too much time trying to rescue a trapped squirrel.

. The U.S. National Labour Relations Board refused to strike down a security company's rule that prohibits employees from getting together away from work. The policy forbids workers from going to lunch together, attending each other's weddings, or doing anything else they might want to do with each other outside of work.

. Two Spanish-speaking hair stylists in Chicago claimed in a federal lawsuit that the company they worked for strictly banned the use of Spanish — even when employees were on their breaks. A sign at the establishment read, “Speaking a language other than English is not only disrespectful, it's also prohibited.”

. A worker with a good record and no problems with his managers was unexpectedly fired from his job with a beer distributor. “While no reason was given, the firing occurred on the same day a picture of the worker drinking a competitor's beer appeared in a local newspaper,”

Last edited by eXcentris; 12-21-05 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-21-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The U.S. National Labour Relations Board refused to strike down a security company's rule that prohibits employees from getting together away from work. The policy forbids workers from going to lunch together, attending each other's weddings, or doing anything else they might want to do with each other outside of work.
This is actually extremely valid, and I believe it has something to do with either forming Unions or holding a Union meeting when it is not official.

Is it logical? Not exactly. But I have heard of this in other circumstances.
Old 12-21-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think my sister-in-law's job has a kookier rule. She works in HR at an automobile parts remanufacturer, a very hot job and one that has a large male percentage of workers. The owner's wife made a rule that anyone wearing sleeveless shirts must shave their underarms. She did not outlaw sleeveless shirts, just hairy armpits as she finds body hair disgusting. My SIL has had to counsel several guys and send them home to change for violating this rule.
Old 12-21-05, 03:48 PM

Would this fall under the "no whining" policy?

I was fired for answering a questionnaire asking my opinion on the conditions at work.

Perhaps if they had actually wanted the truth, it should have been anonymous.
Old 12-21-05, 04:43 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toys
I was fired for answering a questionnaire asking my opinion on the conditions at work.

What did you say? And, perhaps more importantly, how did you say it?
Old 12-21-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
This is actually extremely valid, and I believe it has something to do with either forming Unions or holding a Union meeting when it is not official.

Is it logical? Not exactly. But I have heard of this in other circumstances.
Last time I checked, forming a union wasn't an illegal activity. A lot of people would like to make it one, but so far, freedom is in effect.
Old 12-21-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris
. In the U.S., one woman was suspended from her job in a library for spending too much time trying to rescue a trapped squirrel.
We are grateful for her sacrifice.
Old 12-21-05, 05:28 PM

The U.S. National Labour Relations Board refused to strike down a security company's rule that prohibits employees from getting together away from work. The policy forbids workers from going to lunch together, attending each other's weddings, or doing anything else they might want to do with each other outside of work.
It doesn't say what kind of security company it is. Perhaps they are worried about insider jobs?
Old 12-21-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toys
Would this fall under the "no whining" policy?

Dude, when answering such a questionnaire, don't sign your name. Always use the name of the guy you hate the most in the office.
Old 12-21-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude, when answering such a questionnaire, don't sign your name. Always use the name of the guy you hate the most in the office.
That is what the guy did who signed his questionaire "toys".
Old 12-21-05, 09:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cusm
I think my sister-in-law's job has a kookier rule. She works in HR at an automobile parts remanufacturer, a very hot job and one that has a large male percentage of workers. The owner's wife made a rule that anyone wearing sleeveless shirts must shave their underarms. She did not outlaw sleeveless shirts, just hairy armpits as she finds body hair disgusting. My SIL has had to counsel several guys and send them home to change for violating this rule.
Old 12-21-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If sleeveless shirts with hairy armpits are outlawed, then only outlaws will have sleeveless shirts with hairy armpits.
Old 12-22-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rules that prohibit what an employee can do during working hours (the time he/she is at work (9-5)) are generally valid (with some exceptions, of course). However, rules that govern an employee's conduct on non-working time and off company property are presumptively invalid. This sounds to me like a case where the list-maker took something way out of context or misinterpreted it. I would be shocked if the NLRB would uphold a rule like this.
Old 12-22-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TexasGuy
It doesn't say what kind of security company it is. Perhaps they are worried about insider jobs?
That was my thought as well. I can't speak to the policy's legality, though.
Old 12-22-05, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

. Two Spanish-speaking hair stylists in Chicago claimed in a federal lawsuit that the company they worked for strictly banned the use of Spanish — even when employees were on their breaks. A sign at the establishment read, “Speaking a language other than English is not only disrespectful, it's also prohibited.”
Sometimes I wish my job did this.
Old 12-22-05, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[b]

Two Spanish-speaking hair stylists in Chicago claimed in a federal lawsuit that the company they worked for strictly banned the use of Spanish — even when employees were on their breaks. A sign at the establishment read, “Speaking a language other than English is not only disrespectful, it's also prohibited.”
They basically instituted that policy where I work. Problem is 60-70% of the staff is Spanish speaking. I'm Mexican, yet I really don't speak much Spanish myself.

The word was that Spanish is allowed if it's not work related, or if someone requires something to be translated to better understand their job.

They said that it's disrespectful to speak Spanish in front of those who do not understand what is being said. Bah. I don't care. I understand or I don't. So what.

They told us this is the policy, but no one (at least in my department) follows it. Even department meetings are usually conducted in Spanish.
Old 12-22-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Sometimes I wish my job did this.

i wish this was US law.
Old 12-22-05, 09:36 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Que?
Old 12-22-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
i wish this was US law.
The great melting pot indeed.
Old 12-22-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
The great melting pot indeed.

So no other imigrants have ever had to learn and use English on a daily basis and/or makie it their primary language in America's past? Or should 12% of the population be able to dictate that the majority should learn their native language?
Old 12-22-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So no other imigrants have ever had to learn and use English on a daily basis and/or makie it their primary language in America's past? Or should 12% of the population be able to dictate that the majority should learn their native language?
I think the situation being discussed is a ban on speaking Spanish (or any other langauge) on non-working time. While the company may do as it pleases (within reason), I don't know why you (or anyone else) should be offended or care. So some workers are chatting in Spanish during their break (or even on the job - que horror). So what?

The only time I get annoyed with a language barrier is when a person is in a job that requires communcations skills (such as taking my lunch order) but can't speak English well. That is annoying as hell. But as long as that worker can understand that I want my soup, I don't give a dinky bird if he/she wants to speak Esperanto to his friends when he's done with my order.
Old 12-22-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you need to read the thread.
Old 12-22-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
...She did not outlaw sleeveless shirts, just hairy armpits as she finds body hair disgusting...
Does she shave her head or require hats? Because that's body hair also.
Old 12-22-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
I think you need to read the thread.

My post was in response to the melting pot comment, which I quoted.

I always thought body hair desribed hair not on the head, but on the body.
Old 12-22-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My post was in response to the melting pot comment, which I quoted.
Maybe, but it still doesn't make sense in the context of this discussion.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.