Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Will my camera's film be destroyed by going through an X-Ray machine at airport?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Will my camera's film be destroyed by going through an X-Ray machine at airport?

Old 12-20-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a disposable camera so I can take it home with me when I fly home tomorrow. However...i've been told on numerous occasions that if you take film through an X-Ray machine, it can destroy it. Is this just a silly rumor, or is it true? Would it be better to carry the camera in my carry on bag or my suitcase?
Old 12-20-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just tell the Friendly and Helpful Security Person that you have a camera. I'm sure they've dealt with this situation a few times before.
Old 12-20-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1035.xml
Old 12-20-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Film? How quaint.
Old 12-20-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Film? How quaint.

Crap I had to go to the Smithsonian.com to see an example of this "film" you speak of.
Old 12-20-05, 09:33 PM

I have been assured by airport personnel that my film would not be ruined, only to return home with blank film. Sucked. The safest option would probably be to buy the disposable camera once you get there and then mail it either home or to be developed. Since you're using disposable anyway.
Old 12-21-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used a black and white disposable camera on a trip this summer. Went through the X-ray and the film was fine.
Old 12-21-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They've always told me it would be fine, and it had been. I ask everytime.. Once or twice they looked at my camera, and then passed it around the Xray machine.
Old 12-21-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The only trouble I ever had at an airport was when I was walking through with my cool Pioneer detachable face from my awesome Pioneer car radio. The security personnel and onlookers were all confused, but man --- my car radio is smokin'.
Old 12-21-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It will be ok if it is in your carry on and going through the small x-ray that is near the metal detector that you walk through. It WILL fog if it is your luggage and goes through the BIG machine they have in the back. It will not totally ruin the pictures but make a sort of distinctive "S" like fog on the film. It is not very noticeable by most people but it is there and shows up in the dark areas.
Old 12-21-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can buy a bag at any good camera store which will protect your film from the x-rays. It is best to have it carry on and not in suitcase. If your suitcase is scanned, it is done so at a much more damaging level. You are rolling the dice if you are not protected though. It may help to rewind your film fully, so there may be less exposure, but I don't really know disposables too much. Good luck. If the pictures are important to you, buy a bag for protection. If worse comes to worse, then ask the security to hand check it. Who knows, maybe they will and then pass it to you. Rember that the x-ray machines can vary from airport to airport, so you may luck out a few times and then get hooped.

Last edited by saoirse; 12-21-05 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-22-05, 01:10 AM

The carry-on x-ray machine in any modern airport should not damage your film.

The metal detector that you walk through will damage your film though, so don't try to sneak it through (lots of people make this mistake). Just leave it in your carry-on and pass it through the x-ray machine.

I worked at one of those airport security checkpoints during a summer college break, and that's what they taught us. Luckily, college worked out and I've moved on.